Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I agree with making prison less desirable; but lashings and the like aren't justice, they're revenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say that prison is revenge if you're saying that... you put someone in prison to punish them, just like in this Bill, you'd be lashing someone to punish them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    TSR Daily Mail: "Former UKIP leader wants sharia law in UK"
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I would say that prison is revenge if you're saying that... you put someone in prison to punish them, just like in this Bill, you'd be lashing someone to punish them.
    I don't think of prison as punishing them, I think of it as getting them off the streets so their victims are safer and feel safer. Plus considering prisons are bloody luxury nowadays I'm not sure they qualify as punishment

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    I don't think of prison as punishing them, I think of it as getting them off the streets so their victims are safer and feel safer. Plus considering prisons are bloody luxury nowadays I'm not sure they qualify as punishment

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, so let's implement some proper punishment.

ReputationRep:
    This will show those unsavoury middle Eastern types just how similar to them we are!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why? Assume arguendo that your new punishment achieves precisely nothing extra but retribution. Is that a good thing? Why?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Why? Assume arguendo that your new punishment achieves precisely nothing extra but retribution. Is that a good thing? Why?
    When you say, nothing extra, nothing extra than punishment but retribution... well in that case, even better!

ReputationRep:
    When you say, nothing extra, nothing extra than punishment but retribution... well in that case, even better!
    Punishment for punishment's sake is barbaric. If punishing a particular criminal achieves nothing except the suffering of the guilty, they should not be punished.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Punishment for punishment's sake is barbaric. If punishing a particular criminal achieves nothing except the suffering of the guilty, they should not be punished.
    No... I reckon pain (and humiliation) is an effective deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    No... I reckon pain (and humiliation) is an effective deterrent.
    That's missing the point. Deterrence achieves something - but if deterrence is all that is achieved, it should be done in the manner causing the least possible suffering.

Also, was about to make a text-only reference to this (excellent) album but I think it might have had something of a whoosh effect:

ReputationRep:
    I'd much rather have criminals be sent to work camps, and if they fail to reach their quota for production, then they can get lashed, and in severe cases, executed. In that case, they could do the jobs we don't want to do, so instead of hiring foreign workers to do the jobs "nobody wants to do" for a low price, we could get it for free from these inmates. I also believe that a lot of today's methods of execution are pretty much non-punishments. We should do executions like the Boyd and Parker Ambush method in which criminals are tied to a tree by their intestines are forced to run around the tree until they drop dead.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    I'd much rather have criminals be sent to work camps, and if they fail to reach their quota for production, then they can get lashed, and in severe cases, executed. In that case, they could do the jobs we don't want to do, so instead of hiring foreign workers to do the jobs "nobody wants to do" for a low price, we could get it for free from these inmates. I also believe that a lot of today's methods of execution are pretty much non-punishments. We should do executions like the Boyd and Parker Ambush method in which criminals are tied to a tree by their intestines are forced to run around the tree until they drop dead.
    Haha, sounds good xD or scaphism

ReputationRep:
    I know this is only a model House of Commons, but doesn't there have to be at least some pretence to reason and realism?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    where do you keep them whilst waiting to see what there punishment is? Or what there punishment will be. We need some sort of holding bay, or prison if it were...

Nay. But great banter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I know this is only a model House of Commons, but doesn't there have to be at least some pretence to reason and realism?
    We're normally pretty sane, but the proposer of this is a member of Ukip who are known round here for their 'blue sky thinking' as regards the definition of 'reason and realism'.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Aye.

Nay. Getting lashed in this country should remain synonymous with intoxication, not punishment by the whip.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)

Nay. Getting lashed in this country should remain synonymous with intoxication, not punishment by the whip.
    Would have thought you would appreciate some real discipline

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Banterous until the last sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    :facepalm:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    :facepalm:
    I know what you're thinking! You're thinking...

...why didn't I think of this amazing idea sooner!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.