Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is everyone on TSR so "intelligent"? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    Uhm because the people who put their GCSE results on their profiles are the ones who did really good at them. The rest, won't include them at all. Which, btw, is the majority of people in here as far as I'm concerned. You overestimate how many people on here even have GCSE grades (or any grades really) on their profile info.
    I didn't think that may do have it on their profile info. I for one haven't.

May be bias speaking, in the sense of what you said there, but it does seem that TSR does have many academic types, which was my point really as separate to reference to those that do choose to post their grades.

When I did my GCSE's (a while back), I was too busy playing on computer games to use a website like this. I only came across it looking for help.
    Do you not think that is to some degree the case, along with the bias you mentioned of those doing well posting their grade?

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get a few As or A*s at A-level or GCSEs - you're just not trying hard enough. Simple as that

And good grades =/= Intelligent

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that being successful in education is just a test of you commitment to study rather than necessarily being intelligent, some might disagree, but I can see how I might get top grades if I were to go about it, full committed.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I am flying the flag for the common people.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be interesting to see what happens over the coming years, it seems like there's like an over-saturation of graduate in the market, grades are probably inflating, uni costs are rising whilst many employers still seem to prize work experience over educational background. I wonder if many will now opt to sidestep Uni and go straight into the workplace instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAhm95)
    yes lmfao literally every profile I check it's full of A*s and I'm like wtf..
    You need to keep in mind that a lot of the time, only people with high grades bother posting. No one is going to show off about getting a C. So it gives the perception that everyone here is a genuis.

Before i did further research, people on here had me thinking you needed like AAAB at a minimum in your AS to get a Russel group Uni offer. When i got my results i immidiately started planning for a career in McDonald's. In reality, there's top unis that even allow btec grades lol. I have 5 engineering offers from RG unis despite massively ****ing up my D1 exam which brought my Maths grade down by 2.

It gets ridiculous at times. Last month i saw someone complaining because he got a "Very low A*" in his physics unit 4 A2 exam. And he wasn't even trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    It makes me question the authenticity of the grades that people seem to achieve on this site, seeing as the "average" are straight Cs, but the average on TSR is somewhere around 8 A*s and As lmao.
    Obviously the average grades amongst people who are keen enough to post on the student room, which still has a strong academic focus even though there are non-academic forums, is going to be higher than that amongst the general population.

It's the same with A Level. Everyone one seems to get AAA or AAB and anything below that is literally shunned upon, even though in reality these are absolutely amazing grades!
    At least it makes people aware of what actual high achievement looks like. Anything that motivates people to try their actual best, rather than stop putting in extra effort because, say, ABB is 'already good', is a good thing in my book.

The realisation that people across the country are getting straight A*s might be very helpful to talented students at poor schools, who may otherwise suffer from poverty of aspiration.

Has anyone noticed this when reading some threads on TSR?
    Yes. It's actually been remarked upon endlessly already.

ReputationRep:
    I'm preparing for EED at AS so whatevs pal

Wow I'm lazy yesssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Grades are no indication of intelligence.

Have you seen some of the garbage that people post?

Well said sir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I would argue that being successful in education is just a test of you commitment to study rather than necessarily being intelligent, some might disagree, but I can see how I might get top grades if I were to go about it, full committed.
    I think it's a mixture. If you're very intelligent, you have to work significantly less hard to get the same grades as someone who isn't so intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not, I have the iq of a bag of rocks

ReputationRep:
    We're not.

There are some very intelligent people on here, but the quality of posts on this website are some of the worst I've read anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    Lmao, so everyone on TSR seems to get straight A*s at GCSE, and anything below this is just "lazy".

You're supposed to be educated and open minded, yet you are somewhat narrow minded about the grades that people less academic than yourself get at GCSE. Saying that someone is "lazy" if they don't get straight A*s is so pathetic.

It makes me question the authenticity of the grades that people seem to achieve on this site, seeing as the "average" are straight Cs, but the average on TSR is somewhere around 8 A*s and As lmao.

It's the same with A Level. Everyone one seems to get AAA or AAB and anything below that is literally shunned upon, even though in reality these are absolutely amazing grades!

Has anyone noticed this when reading some threads on TSR?
    Ignorance, private school, rich kid, ego *****. C is good, although looked down by TSR, without C graders getting 30% in Maths and getting 70% at A as an average, the C would be 70%! Everyone depends on each other and its a fact but ignorance makes them think otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Ignorance, private school, rich kid, ego *****. C is good, although looked down by TSR, without C graders getting 30% in Maths and getting 70% at A as an average, the C would be 70%! Everyone depends on each other and its a fact but ignorance makes them think otherwise.
    Don't have to be ignorant or rich to think that C is a poor grade. You just have to have higher standards than some other people, which isn't a crime - or at all wrong in any kind of way. Everyone has different goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Don't have to be ignorant or rich to think that C is a poor grade. You just have to have higher standards than some other people, which isn't a crime - or at all wrong in any kind of way. Everyone has different goals.
    C is average, so average is now bad? Should " good " be B now? Wait... wouldn't that raise the marks so the new C would be at B percent? You lack in knowledge on this, aka. ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    All the smart people go on TSR.
    All the average people go on Facebook.
    All the stupid people go on Twitter.
    All the braindead morons go on Vine.
    All the dank memeposters go on Reddit.

ReputationRep:
    people that have A*s are going too make the effort to come on the computer and write a lot about their A*s and people that don't have them will not think about coming online to tell everyone their grades.

Unfortunately this world has made us actually believe that someone is better than someone just because they remember a few more things in an exam then someone else.

Ugh people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just want oreos)
    people that have A*s are going too make the effort to come on the computer and write a lot about their A*s and people that don't have them will not think about coming online to tell everyone their grades.

Unfortunately this world has made us actually believe that someone is better than someone just because they remember a few more things in an exam then someone else.

Ugh people
    I agree!
    Unfortunately(or fortunately) exams have become a memory test nowadays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Clearly haven't found me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same :rofl:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.