Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LVRG)
    You sir are a f****** c***

Not that I really care for anything you have to say (reply if you wish) but I guess the Jews should have been left high and dry with ZERO reparations from Germany?

Actually don't reply
    Amazing, thanks for such a civil response.

There is a difference between monetary reparations and "the word master offends me, change it now". Even so, if you are trying to imply that the onus for reparations are on the America, you are forgetting about the all the black African and Caribbean slavers who sold the slaves off in the first place.

Thank you again for you open mindedness and reasoned argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    One might also argue that the Harvard degree classifications are also problematic:

*** laude

magna *** laude

summa *** laude

egregia *** laude

maxima *** laude

they all sound like sex film worker names ?
    I needed protection to just read that.

ReputationRep:
    This site lol. Typical "know it all" teenagers that doesn't really have a clue about the real issues. Your opinions do not matter and are usually just strawman fallicies anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    This site lol. Typical "know it all" teenagers that doesn't really have a clue about the real issues. Your opinions do not matter and are usually just strawman fallicies anyway.
    Oh look, here comes Mister "it's a straw man fallacy".

Zip your collar up mate, your neckbeard's showing.

But yeah I agree, why does anyone even bother debating anything; it doesn't matter. Why does anyone get a job to earn money? It's not like your meaningless existence is going to change anything. In fact, why even bother breathing; might as well stop now and take the easy way out before you find out your opinion doesn't mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by napkinsquirrel)
    Oh look, here comes Mister "it's a straw man fallacy".

Zip your collar up mate, your neckbeard's showing.

But yeah I agree, why does anyone even bother debating anything; it doesn't matter. Why does anyone get a job to earn money? It's not like your meaningless existence is going to change anything. In fact, why even bother breathing; might as well stop now and take the easy way out before you find out your opinion doesn't mean anything.
    A typical teenage know it all arrogant response.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A typical teenage know it all arrogant response.
    I'm glad your opinion is so much more important.

Stay mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    One might also argue that the Harvard degree classifications are also problematic:

*** laude

magna *** laude

summa *** laude

egregia *** laude

maxima *** laude

they all sound like sex film worker names ?

I loved Summa *** Laude in "Six degrees of Penetration."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    In loved Summa *** Lauder in "Six degrees of Penetration."
    indeed... a seminal piece of cinema

ReputationRep:
    I love it when people get all arrogant and sh*t without actually substantiating their argument. Please expand. What's the "real issue" here?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I imagine that it isn't your spellling.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    I love it when people get all arrogant and sh*t without actually substantiating their argument. Please expand. What's the "real issue" here?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I imagine that it isn't your spellling.
    And yet you have done exactly the same here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOpinion)
    And yet you have done exactly the same here.
    I merely responded to his claim - I didn't pretend to put forward a somehow superior solution that's above all the rest of us. My original thoughts on this are on the first page, and I'm still waiting for his counterargument as to why all this is meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I can't speak for the people protesting the term on race grounds. I don't think it's inappropriate to highlight terminology or traditions that don't fit in an organisation committed to welcoming people from all backgrounds. And I think it's the sign of an organisation that *does* welcome people from all backgrounds if those criticisms are taken seriously regardless of whether something is changed or not.

I do know that I personally wouldn't accept a job with the title Master because it's a gendered job title and completely outdated. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation so stuck in the past that they'd actively prioritise tradition over inclusion.
    It is outdated.

Interestingly, the main dictionaries (that Google consolidates to provide its definition) list the "owner of slaves" meaning right at the top of the list.
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...ter+definition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LVRG)
    You sir are a f****** c***

Not that I really care for anything you have to say (reply if you wish) but I guess the Jews should have been left high and dry with ZERO reparations from Germany?

Actually don't reply
    Which jews? The one that suffered from the nazis or the ones that were born much later after the war?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If black students had to address them as "why yes sir massa" I'd understand their point. As it is I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Postgraduate degrees will still be "Master of..."
    Women aren't campaigning that undergraduate degrees are "Bachelor of..."
    Stupid student protestors.
    Careful, don't give them ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I can't speak for the people protesting the term on race grounds. I don't think it's inappropriate to highlight terminology or traditions that don't fit in an organisation committed to welcoming people from all backgrounds. And I think it's the sign of an organisation that *does* welcome people from all backgrounds if those criticisms are taken seriously regardless of whether something is changed or not.

I do know that I personally wouldn't accept a job with the title Master because it's a gendered job title and completely outdated. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation so stuck in the past that they'd actively prioritise tradition over inclusion.
    Ew.

Let's go back to basics.

Why is the title "master" not inclusive?

"Because the professionally offended say so" will not be accepted as an answer.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Ew.

Let's go back to basics.

Why is the title "master" not inclusive?

"Because the professionally offended say so" will not be accepted as an answer.
    Personally - because the equivalent for me would be Mistress and much as I love Granny Weatherwax I'm not willing to share her title for any job - especially not one where 2 of the current people 28 performing the job consider CEO to be a more appropriate title. A job title that cannot be applied to half of the population is not inclusive.

In this particular case - because the current people *doing* that job are uncomfortable enough with the title that some of them went ahead single handed last year and stopped using it. I'd defer to the experience and understanding of the people in a job role about whether their job title is appropriate or not.
    “The House Masters have unanimously expressed a desire to change their title,” Khurana told faculty members in a prepared statement at the meeting.

Last week, Khurana said he personally feels uncomfortable with the title and that the College’s House masters, faculty members who oversee student residences, have been discussing changing it for some time.

Conversations about changing the title were ongoing even before Smith assumed the FAS deanship in 2007, he said.
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...-change-title/

Ewwww those silly people who want to change their job title because it's outdated, fuddy duddy, gender specific and doesn't describe what they actually do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Personally - because the equivalent for me would be Mistress and much as I love Granny Weatherwax I'm not willing to share her title for any job - especially not one where 2 of the current people 28 performing the job consider CEO to be a more appropriate title. A job title that cannot be applied to half of the population is not inclusive.

In this particular case - because the current people *doing* that job are uncomfortable enough with the title that some of them went ahead single handed last year and stopped using it. I'd defer to the experience and understanding of the people in a job role about whether their job title is appropriate or not.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...-change-title/

Ewwww those silly people who want to change their job title because it's outdated, fuddy duddy, gender specific and doesn't describe what they actually do.
    I suppose they did it to make their jobs sound more modern and businessy, like how these days even local councils have "CEOs". I don’t get to fiddle about with my job title to make me more marketable when I move on to some corporate junket so I don’t see why they should either.

They should respect tradition more. America has hardly any history as it is, why would you not respect the traditions of possibly the oldest institution in the New World?

ReputationRep:
    this almost makes me wish slavery was back so I could make slaves out of these idiots myself - not on racial lines. no. new lines. stupidity lines

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.