To declare or not to declare a disability on a job application? watch

• View Poll Results: Declare or not declaring
    Declare
    63.64%
    Don't declare
    36.36%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    That was my worry really, that ticking the yes box would make them think differently of me in a negative way if they don't have an awareness of what the conditions actually are but hearing your positive experiences makes me feel a lot better
    Try not to worry! Employers are surprisingly accommodating (I was surprised myself at what they could offer in adjustments!) I have a very obscure physical disability, so they did ask what it was, but only so they could understand what adjustments I would need. It's very good to declare as you can get reasonable support Hope all goes well for you!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    If, at the time and to the best of your knowledge you do not believe this will affect your role - then don't declare it. If anything happens in future, then update the relevant department to amend your details and allow them to provide any support/reasonable adjustment due to your disability coming up unexpectedly and unbeknownist to you.

Alternatively you can also book off days from your allocated amount of holidays if you don't think it will happen again and don't wish to inform your employer. You could also use the time and make occasional visits to your GP to keep on top of things (medication or whatever it is you need). Many employees prefer this instead.

I would advise you to go through the job spec and contract of employment (if you have it) and then make a careful decision. You may even wish to consult with your GP on this and their opinion.
    My GP wouldn't be able to advise as dyslexia is an educational problem and well dyspraxia has no medical treatments as its a developmental condition, it should hopefully be the case that if I start a job and don't end up needing adjustments at that time then I shouldn't in the future.
    I will certainly carefully think about job specs when deciding whether to declare or not
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Why don't you don't tick yes and annotate besides the box? I always annotate forms when I don't think the're taking very good measurements and think I'd prefer to give more specific/ extra info
    All the job applications I ve done so far are online, unfortunately they don't always have annotating options but if I come across any that let me I will it's difficult for me to keep it short and sweet when I say how it affects me but I m going to work on it .
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by celloel)
    Try not to worry! Employers are surprisingly accommodating (I was surprised myself at what they could offer in adjustments!) I have a very obscure physical disability, so they did ask what it was, but only so they could understand what adjustments I would need. It's very good to declare as you can get reasonable support Hope all goes well for you!
    Thank you, I ll try not to worry so much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by celloel)
    This is my experience. In my case, it was only minor reasonable adjustments. My situation has changed a lot since then.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't declare my Crohn's disease. I've been the victim of awful prejudice/bullying in the past and know that, even sub-consciously, it will factor in an employer's decision, regarding whether to invite you to interview or not.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    You are protected by the Discrimination Act.

There are certain questions you can be asked and some that you can't. There can be disciplinary consequences if you do not disclose. However, there are also consequences for them if they ask questions they shouldn't.

My opinion is that you should disclose if there is a specific question that covers what you consider to be your disability.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.