Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppykelso)
    I want to weigh up the pros and cons of each subject so thanks for pointing out the downsides I found GCSE maths ok but that's the highest level of maths I've completed so it's hard to imagine how I'd cope with HE maths. Maybe I'll have a look at my friend's maths work and picture working on stuff like that lol...
    If you want it enough you can do it, only 2 years ago I couldnt factorize a quadratic equation now I find the majority (though not all of it) of the maths fairly easy to get along with because I spend time practicing it until I understand it

I only got a C in GCSE maths too

as someone else mentioned, you could do a foundation year at keele and then do maths and english joint honours? while it has its disadvantages, it could be a good option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    aha sometimes its just knowing what words to use when searching If you arent a huge fan maths (I personally believe you have to really enjoy maths to do physics) then maybe I would suggest against physics as not only do you learn it in maths only modules you apply it all to physics (hence why you have to learn the maths)

meh A-level physics is a bit dull imo, lacks a lot of mathematical backbone that hinders understanding.

I got BBC at A-level (the C was in physics). The maths is a bit difficult at times but it is perfectly doable with practice but you have to want to learn it and put the time in, this only really comes from enjoying maths itself
    Ok obviously none of my a levels are maths related but my predicted grades are BBB and, without wishing to big myself up, I think I can do better. Practically it seems doable, but now I have to really think about which subject I'd rather study for a further 3/4 years :s I guess careers wise physics may offer more job opportunities than English if I were to change my mind about teaching, so that's a benefit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    If you want it enough you can do it, only 2 years ago I couldnt factorize a quadratic equation now I find the majority (though not all of it) of the maths fairly easy to get along with because I spend time practicing it until I understand it

I only got a C in GCSE maths too

as someone else mentioned, you could do a foundation year at keele and then do maths and english joint honours? while it has its disadvantages, it could be a good option
    Oh wow! I guess different styles of teaching and that really do make a big difference, plus determination of course I got an A in GCSE maths so assuming I haven't forgotten everything by next September I too may be able to understand the maths!
    As for Keele, it would have to be purely Language/Linguistics for me to consider it because I hate literature lol. Plus I think I'd prefer to study physics alone rather than as a joint honours anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppykelso)
    What kind of grades are required? I checked a couple of sites and none of them specified...
    Depends what uni you are applying for...
    For example
    Southampton is ABB (from the top of my head)
    Loughborough CCC
    Manchester BBC (tbh they say that but I was with people who had applied with AAA ;_; )
    Queen Mary BBC

But foundation years vary a lot by each university. It is best to email them first before applying as there are some ones that you cant apply for. E.g. Durham is for mature students 21+ (well thats what they said in the email they sent to me) whilst york you cannot have both maths and physics AS/A level. Most unis do state what grades they want for a foundation year, you might just have to go digging for it though.

madmadmax321 do you want to add anything?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.