Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    There's other connotations to that title besides religious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Haven't got access to our OED ATM so Merriam Webster will have to do, restricting definitions to the relevant ones

Prayer: something prayed for

Pray: to seriously ask (someone) to do something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. I see the point created by this motion, but I do not believe this is the way to go about it - rather, I feel it should be the job of the Speaker to simply declare the offending parts of S08 invalid due to being ultra vires. If the Government wishes to legislate to this effect, it must do so by Act of Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Haven't got access to our OED ATM so Merriam Webster will have to do, restricting definitions to the relevant ones

Prayer: something prayed for

Pray: to seriously ask (someone) to do something

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OED

pray |preɪ|

verb [ no obj. ]
    address a prayer to God or another deity: the whole family are praying for Michael.
    • wish or hope strongly for a particular outcome or situation: after several days of rain, we were praying for sun | [ with clause ] : I prayed that James wouldn't notice.

adverb formal or archaic
    used as a preface to polite requests or instructions: ladies and gentlemen, pray be seated.
    • used as a way of adding ironic or sarcastic emphasis to a question: and what, pray, was the purpose of that?

ORIGIN
    Middle English (in the sense ‘ask earnestly’): from Old French preier, from late Latin precare, alteration of Latin precari ‘entreat’.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    OED

pray |preɪ|

verb [ no obj. ]
    address a prayer to God or another deity: the whole family are praying for Michael.
    • wish or hope strongly for a particular outcome or situation: after several days of rain, we were praying for sun | [ with clause ] : I prayed that James wouldn't notice.

adverb formal or archaic
    used as a preface to polite requests or instructions: ladies and gentlemen, pray be seated.
    • used as a way of adding ironic or sarcastic emphasis to a question: and what, pray, was the purpose of that?

ORIGIN
    Middle English (in the sense ‘ask earnestly’): from Old French preier, from late Latin precare, alteration of Latin precari ‘entreat’.
    I prefer my paper edition, I believe it is the 1977 edition. It's a shame they print so few these days that it's really hard to get a personal print copy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Because that's the term

What I would also like to ask is if there is much interest in introducing such things formally so the house can vote to repeal delegated legislation in a binding way rather than as we have to do here which is to petition the government to do so as a non binding vote
    We already have a procedure whereby SoIs can be put to a binding vote.

If you miss the deadline or whatever then it should be non-binding only.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)

My proposal is the sort of thing intended to be well down the line, so suppose there were a SoI in the first month the intention is for prayers to be lodged against it say several months later

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)

And yet they remain delegated legislation and thus incapable of taking precedence over primary legislation.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Why not wait until the chancellor redirects funds?

Demand all you want, I wont be making another statement on the matter.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Why not wait until the chancellor redirects funds?

Demand all you want, I wont be making another statement on the matter.
    So you will break the law, know you broke the law, and refuse to comply by the law?

And maybe because the parliament so far implies that there is no interest in the chancellor directing the funds? Of that were going to direct the funds then why did the budget set the funding at an illegal level, and why did they authorise it being put at a yet lower level?

I sense you do not understand how departmental funding works given this statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So by falling 25pc below what their own legislation sets as a minimum spend is following the law well?

And I don't think I've seen you get do anything other than support the party line

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And I haven't seen you do anything other than support the Conservatives...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    And I haven't seen you do anything other than support the Conservatives...
    Opportunities in the last month have been somewhat limited, I don't recall though every saying "I know we've done something illegal, but that doesn't matter", and there is about a year debate you can go and look through.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Opportunities in the last month have been somewhat limited, I don't recall though every saying "I know we've done something illegal, but that doesn't matter", and there is about a year debate you can go and look through.
    Just for the record, I have never said "I know we've done something illegal, but that doesn't matter" either.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    . In my opinion, the government is sticking to the law very well.
    Just for the record, I have never said "I know we've done something illegal, but that doesn't matter" either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    ___________Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are you trying to say?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What are you trying to say?
    Your attitude to the government breaking the law is that it's irrelevant because nothing else has been picked up on, it doesn't matter.

Either that or you're somehow thinking that 7.5>10

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Your attitude to the government breaking the law is that it's irrelevant because nothing else has been picked up on, it doesn't matter.

Either that or you're somehow thinking that 7.5>10

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Now I'm even more confused...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Now I'm even more confused...
    The quote from the first page is somewhat ambiguous, you're saying one of two things. You either said that you acknowledge the law breaking but it's fine because it's the only thing brought up, contradicting what you said on this page.

Alternatively you're saying you're suggesting there is no law breaking, in which case you're saying that £7.5bn is a greater sum of money than £10bn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.