The Student Room Group

What's the best and worst thing about doing an apprenticeship?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawtyb
i can try but i dont think they do them around here
iv been rejected from two now due to university
and something in admin/management

There's loads in finance, and most you have to do something "hands on" (so become an accountant) rather than just straight into management.

Mine includes all the management stuff as well, for in case you want to move up.
Original post by DonkeyShlong
There's loads in finance, and most you have to do something "hands on" (so become an accountant) rather than just straight into management.

Mine includes all the management stuff as well, for in case you want to move up.

after my latest module in finance, that is defo not an option
il be lucky if i pass the module (awaiting final two grades)
Original post by shawtyb
after my latest module in finance, that is defo not an option
il be lucky if i pass the module (awaiting final two grades)

There tends to be a more gradual learning curve, and they can help a lot more with apprenticeships, mainly because they're investing so much.
Best thing - Definitely the experience! Its comforting to know that I have a job and I am gaining the correct experience to kick start my career.

Worst Thing - I can't really think of anything negative about my apprenticeship. I am gaining experience and getting a career in the sector I am passionate about.
Reply 24
Best thing - it has increased my confidence soo much. Like I am a completely different person now to how I was when I started.

Worst thing - if you choose audit (or accounting in general really), the hours can be pretty long in busy season
I have the same issue - I have applied to university in Computer Science and now I have seen IBM's new gap year programme which I am going to apply to. And I have also seen Cisco's 3-year apprenticeship programme that basically gives you a BSc Digital and Technology Solutions degree at the end.

Do employers frown upon this new scheme of getting a degree via apprenticeship like the one above? Or is it similar to just doing a normal degree at a university like Computer Science?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending