Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How useful is the NHS 111 number, in your experience? watch

(Original post by furryface12)
    Pretty easy, not all surgeries do it but they'll be one in your local area somewhere you can go to. Some places also have walk in centres and/or minor injury units, again to take people away from A&E.
    Yeah, I have a walk-in centre in my local town centre - can you go to them for mental health stuff? It might be easier than having to wait to get a GP appointment in some cases.

And yeah you could if it's life threatening (ie you or someone else is a big danger to themselves) or go to A&E and they'll have a team that can deal with it. You can already but some places you'd be sat there hours until they find someone appropriate.
    That's something, then. How long do you think it'll take for there to be mental health support at every A&E?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by lustawny)
    Yeah, I have a walk-in centre in my local town centre - can you go to them for mental health stuff? It might be easier than having to wait to get a GP appointment in some cases.

That's something, then. How long do you think it'll take for there to be mental health support at every A&E?
    I don't see why not, they might be pretty limited in what they can do other than risk assess you etc but worth a try if you need it.

I think the target's 2020 but I might be making that up, there's a lot then anyway! They'll get there eventually you can go to any A&E anyway, it just might take a while for them to get a crisis team or whoever there to see you but them it could anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've always found the 111 number very helpful - although I've got a long term health condition, and as soon as I mention that they always seem to freak out and send me to A&E :P I'm not sure if they're that good for dealing with mental health issues, though. Late at night you may be better ringing someone like Samaritans, or if you're in a very bad way, A&E. 111 deals with physical conditions, in the main.

ReputationRep:
    Total waste of time! They literally act like they care and ask you tons off questions, and then advice you to go to the nearest hospital..eh hello..Was I not aware of that? 😩 utterly pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elflorblack)
    Total waste of time! They literally act like they care and ask you tons off questions, and then advice you to go to the nearest hospital..eh hello..Was I not aware of that? 😩 utterly pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you were 'aware that you needed to attend hospital', why bother calling a help-line? And more curiously, why were you surprised when they advised this?

ReputationRep:
    If you need the care you will get it, other peoples symtpoms may take priority.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Helpful when i'm not sure the most appropriate place/ time to go and for booking emergency appointments or telling my gp surgery that yes I do need an urgent appointment.
    Also helped my granddad when his partner had a stroke. Were very kind and supportive, called an ambulance for him and stayed on the phone telling him they'd be there soon, go open the door now etc.

Not the best for some things (like assessing multiple things or taking into account long term health conditions), but it seems to be improving and it's good for most things. You just need to know what it's there for. It's triage not medical advice so you'll be disappointed if that's what you're after. That said, i've been put on with nurses or doctors before who could advise me over the phone.

Didn't offer much help when my bf had dental problems, but I think it's added a dental extension now so that's cool.

So yeah, good for what it is and seems to be heading in the right direction too. Never going to be the medical advice line some people expect, but that's not what it's there for.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.