The Student Room Group

Is it a bad idea to do 5 a levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Not if you're confident. I have a friend who is doing Maths (completed), Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry and he's doing pretty well! He needs all his subjects since he's double majoring in Neuroscience and Mathematics

I don't think I'm confident..Thanks for the advice. :smile:
It's not bad, just pretty crazy! I struggle just doing three. I'd say it's not really necessary, and depending on how much of a life you want and how focused you are would say whether you could do 5. But seriously, don't do it to yourself xD
Original post by Jamesy11
5 AS Levels can be quite common, but usually students choose to drop one at the end of Year 12.

However, most people that do 5 are doing Maths and Further Maths, or perhaps something like Critical Thinking as an extra one. I don't think I would recommend doing 5 as the essay subjects you are doing can require a lot of work, as does learning the theories for the other subjects.

I would think about what careers you may consider, or degrees and see what subjects are required to think of which one you should drop if you do decide to do so.

Oh you didn't go there.
Further maths is not a half, or two thirds an a level. It is A FULL A LEVEL. If anything, it probably requires more resources than other subjects (alongside maths).
Original post by Hilaera Supola
I want to do English literature, History, Maths, Chemistry and physics. At first I was picking between physics and chemisty but I wanted to do both of them but I feel as though 5 a levels would be a lot of work. However, I cannot pick from them.

Does anyone have any advide please? Thank you. :smile:

If you really want to then I guess you can but bear in mind it's really unnecessary. I'll end up with 7AS and 5A2 but got the same uni offers as every other candidate would. Except for the element of flexibility - I can afford to completely fail one of my A levels as long as I pass three of the science A levels to meet the offer. Whereas if someone with three a levels fails one of theirs that's them done :|
Original post by Jamesy11
5 AS Levels can be quite common, but usually students choose to drop one at the end of Year 12.

However, most people that do 5 are doing Maths and Further Maths, or perhaps something like Critical Thinking as an extra one. I don't think I would recommend doing 5 as the essay subjects you are doing can require a lot of work, as does learning the theories for the other subjects.

I would think about what careers you may consider, or degrees and see what subjects are required to think of which one you should drop if you do decide to do so.

Thanks. I'm going to do that. :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
If you really want to then I guess you can but bear in mind it's really unnecessary. I'll end up with 7AS and 5A2 but got the same uni offers as every other candidate would. Except for the element of flexibility - I can afford to completely fail one of my A levels as long as I pass three of the science A levels to meet the offer. Whereas if someone with three a levels fails one of theirs that's them done :|

7as & 5a2... Hadn't seen this species before ahaha
Do you use time travel? I really want to know how.
Original post by HedgehogsRulz

Lmaoo I wish
I put too much on my plate as per usual :/
Original post by RueXO
I think if you can't decide you should start off with all 5 and then drop one, I know many people who did that 😊 I'm currently doing 5 AS
English Lit
Math
Philosophy and Ethics
Psychology
Creative Writing

For ME it's okay but your subjects sound much more rigorous so I think you'd find it a lot of work. However don't let anything anyone says put you off. It's all up to you and If you can cope then go for it, but only do all of them if you love the subject because honestly having 5 a levels won't put you at an advantage with any universities because they won't look at all your grades, but judging from what you said your just confused about what you want to do because you like all 5 :P I think you should look carefully at the specifications and ask current students about the workload, look at textbooks and exam questions and try to get a broad understanding of what the subjects are like, if you still feel confused then like I suggested, start off with all 5 but then drop one :smile: my friend did that.

Out of my a levels, Creative writing is the easiest (our college made us choose an extension and creative writing is more legit than general studies etc that's why I chose it)

But excluding the extension course, Maths is the easiest for me because i did IGCSE maths last year. Philosophy and Ethics is the hardest.

I hope you do awesome and thanks for helping me. I'm going to give my chices more consideration. :smile:
Lmaoo I wish

May I ask what subjects you do?
And what offers have you got so far?

Lmaoo I wish

She enjoys her subjects. Science. That's the key baby. You gotta love what you do.
Original post by kelefi
5 A levels is a horrible choice. You're going to be around 18, so you need to have some fun. drop that down to 4 A levels and live your life! and its really not fun doing 5, trust me.

Thank you!:smile:
Yes it is a bad idea.
May I ask what subjects you do?
And what offers have you got so far?

Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, GS, lang

I got offers from UCL, Exeter, Bath. Made it to Cambridge interview but didn't secure an offer (my feedback will come soon so I'll know why lol). I applied to UEA but withdrew cause I couldn't be bothered to travel 5 hours for an interview lol
Original post by High Stakes
She enjoys her subjects. Science. That's the key baby. You gotta love what you do.

Yess science is my life pls :wink:

Wow that's really good result, well done! Also, thanks for helping me. :smile:
I want to do English literature, History, Maths, Chemistry and physics. At first I was picking between physics and chemisty but I wanted to do both of them but I feel as though 5 a levels would be a lot of work. However, I cannot pick from them.

Does anyone have any advide please? Thank you. :smile:

Yeah I'm doing 5 (including maths physics and English literature) but had to do 5 to get in further maths. Just a warning, I did 5 because I found GCSEs quite easy but severely underestimated how hard a levels were and how much work you have to put into them, leading to me having just failed most of my mocks. Also, people doing 5 will usually be doing maths and further maths which is easier than doing 5 completely different a levels alongside each other. I know my school allowed people to drop subjects all throughout the first term so you could start with 5 and then drop one of you feel you aren't coping.
Wow that's really good result, well done! Also, thanks for helping me. :smile:

Aw thanks so much and no worries.

If you do pick the 5 and you really enjoy them, you'll do well. Revising the things you like is much easier than trying to plough through something you hate :smile:
Original post by DotDotDot...
Yeah I'm doing 5 (including maths physics and English literature) but had to do 5 to get in further maths. Just a warning, I did 5 because I found GCSEs quite easy but severely underestimated how hard a levels were and how much work you have to put into them, leading to me having just failed most of my mocks. Also, people doing 5 will usually be doing maths and further maths which is easier than doing 5 completely different a levels alongside each other. I know my school allowed people to drop subjects all throughout the first term so you could start with 5 and then drop one of you feel you aren't coping.

Thanks. :smile:

If you do pick the 5 and you really enjoy them, you'll do well. Revising the things you like is much easier than trying to plough through something you hate :smile:

I agree with you and you give really good advice. :smile: I hope you achieve your dreams.

I agree with you and you give really good advice. :smile: I hope you achieve your dreams.
4 or 3 good a levels > 5 ok a levels.

Quick Reply

Latest