The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
How long should you spend in the gym
I need to make about 3 stone after putting so much weight!
Is 2 hours gym, 4 times a week enough?

It's calories that matter, not necessarily time. It depends how much you burn.

Follow what 999tiger said, weight loss is very simple. Don't overcomplicate it or make it harder than it needs to be.
Cut out refined sugar.
That is literally it.

I'll give you an example of a good day.

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and almonds
Snack: Strawberries and Greek Yogurt.
Lunch: Chicken Soup and wholegrain noodles.
Dinner: Lean meat, broccoli, and some brown rice.

Give it a couple of weeks and you'll not only notice weight loss, but you'll feel much better too.
Once you've got your diet sorted out, work on a bit of exercise. HIIT is always a good option.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RhaegoTarg
Cut out refined sugar.
That is literally it.

I'll give you an example of a good day.

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and almonds
Snack: Strawberries and Greek Yogurt.
Lunch: Chicken Soup and wholegrain noodles.
Dinner: Lean meat, broccoli, and some brown rice.

Give it a couple of weeks and you'll not only notice weight loss, but you'll feel much better too.
Once you've got your diet sorted out, work on a bit of exercise. HIIT is always a good option.

Its calorie deficit/ how much not what you eat for weight loss, although eating well and nutritiously is healthier and will make it more likely you can sustain it.

Your example food was good.

How long in the gym?

Exercise does different things.

Movement will burn calories.
Moving more or mobing so you raise your heart rate will improve your cardio vascular system.
Lifting weights will help you get stronger and retain myscle i.e become leaner.
3 or 4 times a week is fine.

How long well an hour is good but 2h is fine. It depends what you do in the time. take it easy and gradually push yourself by going faster longer or heavier. Consistency is key. Calorie deficit is the most importnat key for weight loss, so weight your food.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by SophieSmall
It's calories that matter, not necessarily time. It depends how much you burn.

Follow what 999tiger said, weight loss is very simple. Don't overcomplicate it or make it harder than it needs to be.

Hahaha yeah true
It's cutting down on the sugars and junk food!
Original post by xxvine
Hahaha yeah true

Its cutting down on the calories. Deficit is all. thats different from what you say and different in a fundamental way. You cna still put on weight eating healthy food.
Original post by xxvine
Hahaha yeah true

That's all well and good but you still need to be in a calorie deficit.
You can get fat eating even the healthiest foods if you're eating more calories than your TDEE.
Original post by 999tigger
Its cutting down on the calories. Deficit is all. thats different from what you say and different in a fundamental way. You cna still put on weight eating healthy food.

beat me to it :wink:
Original post by blue_diamond
Hey im exactly 5ft and i weigh 9.6st. I need to lose weight. I have tried many times although nothing has worked for me. Can someone give me some help and tell me an idea that has actually worked to help you lose weight and also please say how much weight you have lost and how long it took. Thanks.

There is plenty of good advice on this thread from other people.

My suggestion would be ....

Pro Tip: In anything you do make sure its sustainable because Adherence is the key to success!
Original post by xxvine
How long should you spend in the gym
I need to make about 3 stone after putting so much weight!
Is 2 hours gym, 4 times a week enough?

You don't want to over do it. Little and often is better imo than doing a few hours straight.
Reply 29
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't want to over do it. Little and often is better imo than doing a few hours straight.

thanks....
Reply 30

okay so i guess getting a decent app and checking how much i am eating a day....

what is the best app you recommend for calorie counting on the iPhone?
I recommend scola dondo. She is a youtuber. She has a meal plan which is basic enough for anyone to follow- even me and I can't even make toast without somehow burning it.
She started off extremely overweight and so her exercise and diet methods aren't too extreme unlike most personal trainers and they are arguably more effective than most other workouts.
She lost 3 stone when she was 16 and she is really inspirational. I followed her top ten tips on losing weight and lost 20 pounds in 6 months.
Here's the link to the video:
http://youtu.be/bSzXvJSDLYI
Don't feel so bad about yourself. You aren't really the biggest person ever.
I am 5' and just under 9st -- I'm at the very top part of the 'Normal' in a BMI chart here:
http://www.whathealth.com/bmi/chart-feetkilos.html

But losing a bit of weight would help. One thing that helped me was simply not having access to chocolates. In my country, you can't get much / any chocolate, so we don't buy much. Drinking water when you are hungry should also help -- sometimes your body mistakes being thirsty for being hungry. I don't know why.

If you can manage to get down to 9st, you'll be in the Normal zone :smile:
Do a low carb diet.
Less than 50g Carbohydrate per day puts the body into Ketosis, you'll be a fat burning machine.
You can eat dairy, meats vegetables. Just stay away from carbs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Its calorie deficit/ how much not what you eat for weight loss, although eating well and nutritiously is healthier and will make it more likely you can sustain it.

Your example food was good.

How long in the gym?

Exercise does different things.

Movement will burn calories.
Moving more or mobing so you raise your heart rate will improve your cardio vascular system.
Lifting weights will help you get stronger and retain myscle i.e become leaner.
3 or 4 times a week is fine.

How long well an hour is good but 2h is fine. It depends what you do in the time. take it easy and gradually push yourself by going faster longer or heavier. Consistency is key. Calorie deficit is the most importnat key for weight loss, so weight your food.

but what about if you have no access to scales...like your at college
how can you weight your food lol?
Original post by blue_diamond
Hey im exactly 5ft and i weigh 9.6st. I need to lose weight. I have tried many times although nothing has worked for me. Can someone give me some help and tell me an idea that has actually worked to help you lose weight and also please say how much weight you have lost and how long it took. Thanks.

Download myNetDiary its a great app that helps you calorie count. I used and lost 6kg :borat:
Original post by xxvine
okay so i guess getting a decent app and checking how much i am eating a day....

what is the best app you recommend for calorie counting on the iPhone?

honestly just join mfp

If you are really unfit then dont get into the idea its all yoga pants and sweatbands.
Walking is you best start, walk 15-30 mins a day and increase it by a bit each few days. walking to uni or part of the way to uni.

start with going to the gym (if you decide to do gym) 3 times a week.
get comfy there it takes 6-10 weeks. have a plan on what to do.
Do a balance of weights and then cardio.

Alternatively take a class or do a workout at home. fitness blender has free basic easy workouts for beginners. Commitment and sustainabiliyu is what you want.

3 stone is 42lbs. You cna lose that in 8-12 months. set tragets 1 week 2 weeks 1lb 2lb etc. aim for 1lb a week. Some weeks will be better than others.
Original post by xxvine
but what about if you have no access to scales...like your at college
how can you weight your food lol?

Scales you cna weigh as much as daily or once every few weeks, ots personal.

they will have scales at the gym or medical centre.
bathroom scales from ebay for <£10.

Weighing food is so you know the calories. Ebay again for less than £7. kitchen scales are most importnat.

Calories are counted automatically upon entry when you join mfo which is free.
Reply 38
honestly just join mfp

If you are really unfit then dont get into the idea its all yoga pants and sweatbands.
Walking is you best start, walk 15-30 mins a day and increase it by a bit each few days. walking to uni or part of the way to uni.

start with going to the gym (if you decide to do gym) 3 times a week.
get comfy there it takes 6-10 weeks. have a plan on what to do.
Do a balance of weights and then cardio.

Alternatively take a class or do a workout at home. fitness blender has free basic easy workouts for beginners. Commitment and sustainabiliyu is what you want.

3 stone is 42lbs. You cna lose that in 8-12 months. set tragets 1 week 2 weeks 1lb 2lb etc. aim for 1lb a week. Some weeks will be better than others.

ahh thanks for that
baby steps i guess.....i don't want to lose it too quickly tbh likes a stone a month like some people. don't think its the way to go....

i will go to the gym for an hour a day and take it from there tbh
the food part is confusing me though....with the weighing. So every food i get i weigh it on the scales? How can i do that when I am not always at home and will not always have access to scales like at work etc...? I think I a, misunderstanding you lol...i am not the brightest.
Original post by xxvine
ahh thanks for that
baby steps i guess.....i don't want to lose it too quickly tbh likes a stone a month like some people. don't think its the way to go....

i will go to the gym for an hour a day and take it from there tbh
the food part is confusing me though....with the weighing. So every food i get i weigh it on the scales? How can i do that when I am not always at home and will not always have access to scales like at work etc...? I think I a, misunderstanding you lol...i am not the brightest.

Honestly it's really simple.

If you are cooking something or putting together your own meal with ingredients and you don't know exactly how much of the food you are using weighing it is the best method of ensuring you know how many calories you are putting into your meal.

for example if you have a leg of lamb and you're cutting some off for a sandwich, you don't know exactly how many calories is in how much you cut off unless you weight it as it doesn't come in a packet saying how much is in each slice.

100g of lamb is going to have twice as many calories in it as 50g, so it's best to know exactly how much you have.

For everything else (store bought 1 portion things) it'll say the calorie contents on the packet.

I personally rarely used a scale when I was losing weight because I had a pretty good eye for how much I was putting into my food. But if you're someone who hasn't a clue it is best to weigh it.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending