The Student Room Group

Imperial maths or Warwick Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
Is this a thing? You can reapply while at uni?

Technically you can. Just cancelled my student finance.
Warwick (and I say that despite ranking Imperial over Warwick for my course, which is 50% Maths).
Reply 22
Original post by DinduMuffin
imperial full of Warwick rejects, and Warwick full of Cambridge rejects, I assume you attend Warwick?

Ah fair enough. Though I am still confused as to Imperial being full of Warwick rejects, as I don't see why that would happen. I guess if they got through MAT but not STEP..
Yes, and I am a Cambridge reject lol
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
ah fair enough. Though i am still confused as to imperial being full of warwick rejects, as i don't see why that would happen. I guess if they got through mat but not step..
Yes, and i am a cambridge reject lol

mat > step
mat > step

Have you even tried MAT?
Original post by morgan8002
Have you even tried MAT?

Have you?
Technically you can. Just cancelled my student finance.

Went to Warwick undergrad and then Cambridge postgrad. Left after 12 weeks to go back to Warwick. Preferred the less restrictive environment of Warwick and not feeling like I'm living on the set of Harry Potter. So each to their own.
Have you even tried MAT?

:yes:
Have you?

Did a few past papers, before I even started STEP. It seemed fairly easy.
Original post by CharlieGEM
Went to Warwick undergrad and then Cambridge postgrad. Left after 12 weeks to go back to Warwick. Preferred the less restrictive environment of Warwick and not feeling like I'm living on the set of Harry Potter. So each to their own.

Fair enough. Though I'd wager Warwick probably has as many if not more tossers as Cambridge minus the academic rigour.
mat > step

U wot m8? I got full marks on a MAT paper in 3 minutes before my Cambridge interview (not even for maths) and I still can't do STEP even after practising for 5 years (I may have exaggerated slightly there).
Reply 31
#GetsMorePopcorn
#SettlesBackIntoSofa
#ThisIsAsGoodAsIExpected
Original post by sweeneyrod
U wot m8? I got full marks on a MAT paper in 3 minutes before my Cambridge interview (not even for maths) and I still can't do STEP even after practising for 5 years (I may have exaggerated slightly there).

STEP is a joke. Just pick the Stats questions they're piss easy.
Original post by TeeEm

To add insult to injury, the love of my life (a girl which came from Oxford) went out with one of them ...

I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences to your heart
Did a few past papers, before I even started STEP. It seemed fairly easy.

STEP is less restrictive, and difficulty doesn't really increase, hence easier exam.
Reply 35
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
What..first you were saying Imperial is full of Warwick rejects and now you are talking about Warwick being full of rejects, if I understand correctly..

Any chance of an insight into what maths at warwick is like?
Reply 36
Original post by jneill
#GetsMorePopcorn
#SettlesBackIntoSofa
#ThisIsAsGoodAsIExpected

Your welcome :wink:
STEP is less restrictive, and difficulty doesn't really increase, hence easier exam.

Being able to choose which questions to do doesn't immediately take the exam down to A-level standard. Sure it makes it a little easier, but not to that degree.

I'm not sure what you mean by "difficulty doesn't really increase".
Fair enough. Though I'd wager Warwick probably has as many if not more tossers as Cambridge minus the academic rigour.

Don't know about that: my PhD supervisor recently won a Fields Medal. How many Cambridge academics got one in the last ten years?

To be honest socially I would find little to recommend one over the other except Warwick probably has a greater share of down to earth students. As for the relative proportion of tossers: I wasn't counting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Being able to choose which questions to do doesn't immediately take the exam down to A-level standard. Sure it makes it a little easier, but not to that degree.

I'm not sure what you mean by "difficulty doesn't really increase".

Around the same level of difficulty as MAT, but less restrictive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending