The Student Room Group

Risk of getting expelled for insulting remarks on social media?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CCC75
Apologise and state that you felt so passionately about the horror of the case that you got carried away in posting about it. You recognise your wrong doing, you didn't mean half of what you wrote as it was in anger, and it won't happen again.

If you get away with a strong warning, remember what you are there to do, get your head down and study hard you div!

It is pointless to reach the third year and then jump ship - unless you are leaving for a lucrative employment opportunity. Count this as a lesson learnt for future employment too. Welcome to adulthood.

The problem with apologising is that you are accepting you've done wrong.

Comments about race, gender and sexuality are literally indefensible, but there is no reason why religious belief shouldn't be dragged up and smacked down, open that ass up, get inside there and spray paint some **** all up the wall, leave that ass wide open for all to see. Provided OP's comments are not racially antagonistic, (s)he should go on the attack, claim his/her freedom of expression has been undermined and religion is like politics, never beyond criticism.
Reply 21
Original post by SMEGGGY
This is happening too frequently so it has to be clamped upon. Last week there has been discussions to make it a criminal offence (jail) for insults/abuse/threats online.

The world has changed so the law needs updating, so many cretins have trolled and made lives of people a misery to the extent they've committed suicide. Online bullying etc will not be TOLERATED OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP has not trolled...the OP has not addressed anyone in particular, apart from the housemaid, who wouldn't even have seen it anyway. Do you really think it is important to protect such a person from online "abuse".. Otherwise if people can't handle their choice of religion being criticized, they're too immature for the internet. :rolleyes:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The OP has not trolled...the OP has not addressed anyone in particular, apart from the housemaid, who wouldn't even have seen it anyway. Do you really think it is important to protect such a person from online "abuse".. Otherwise if people can't handle their choice of religion being criticized, they're too immature for the internet. :rolleyes:

Exactly it's pathetic

"ur rights end where my fee-fees begin"
Reply 23
TBH I think they'll just give you a warning. Unless you have a history of making such posts, I wouldn't worry too much. But be prepared to relativate what you wrote - untangle what are just offensive remarks and what are opinions. Do not just defend the whole statement as "my opinion" or "free speech" or whatever lazy excuse. Do not try to defend remarks which are purely offensive. An insult is not equal in value to an opinion or constructive criticism and it will not be and should never be judged as such.

Have you kept a post history? You could use it to show this was a one-off and that you don't usually use offensive language.
(edited 8 years ago)
Shouldn't have done that. Now you gotta go through with the consequences. Tbh I think more Unis should do this :smile: I understand if you hate a religion but people should learn to be more respectful. There are ways to show you don't accept that religion without being rude

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you actually make those posts or had you left yourself logged in by mistake and someone just happened to get to your computer?
I'd go on the attack as above in defence of my right to free speech.

If someone complains about criticism of their religion then they are clearly insecure about their faith and deep down know it's bull*****. Slagging off the Bible or Quran is no different to slagging off Game of Thrones, they're all fairy tales.
Reply 27
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Shouldn't have done that. Now you gotta go through with the consequences. Tbh I think more Unis should do this :smile: I understand if you hate a religion but people should learn to be more respectful. There are ways to show you don't accept that religion without being rude

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what OP has said, it doesn't sound like they were rude. They just said that a woman committed a terrible act because her religion told her to. That is not rude, and it is even based in some fact.
Has the OP actually stated what he said? He seemed quite coy about it. If it amoints to inciting religious hatred or it contravenes the universities policies, then they are quite within their rights to take action. If it were just the her religion had old her to attack that would be quite inoffensive, but the OP clearly knows and thinks it was more severe than that. Free speech only goes so far and it seems quite rightly the uni are looking into it.
Never use social media.
Reply 30
From what OP has said, it doesn't sound like they were rude. They just said that a woman committed a terrible act because her religion told her to. That is not rude, and it is even based in some fact.

Huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31

Obviously there has to be something particularly wrong with the woman in order for her to do this, but the fact that the Quran condones the killing of non-believers could well have influenced her. (perhaps my phrasing was off, I guess I implied she necessarily did this due to her religion, my point was more that the position that she was influenced by her religion has some evidence behind it)
Reply 32
Obviously there has to be something particularly wrong with the woman in order for her to do this, but the fact that the Quran condones the killing of non-believers could well have influenced her. (perhaps my phrasing was off, I guess I implied she necessarily did this due to her religion, my point was more that the position that she was influenced by her religion has some evidence behind it)

I guess that's one interpretation of it (albeit an incredibly dumbass one, with no understanding of either religion or Arabian history, but one which is bafflingly followed by Daesh and the like) which she's potentially followed. What I find much more likely though, is some sort of mental deficiency, a deficiency which I'd expect is present in a lot more "jihadists" than previously thought.

No sympathy for OP though, you've got **** for brains if you post inflammatory stuff like that on social media, even if you do hold those (stupid, unintelligent etc etc...) views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bodeans
I guess that's one interpretation of it (albeit an incredibly dumbass one, with no understanding of either religion or Arabian history, but one which is bafflingly followed by Daesh and the like) which she's potentially followed. What I find much more likely though, is some sort of mental deficiency, a deficiency which I'd expect is present in a lot more "jihadists" than previously thought.

No sympathy for OP though, you've got **** for brains if you post inflammatory stuff like that on social media, even if you do hold those (stupid, unintelligent etc etc...) views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, the Quran does condone killing of non-believers. It isn't just an interpretation.

Stop being an apologist.
Reply 34
I'm really sorry to hear this. You should be able to speak your mind, whether it be religion, race or sexual orientation. It's called freedom of speech. Unfortunately, your PC liberal university has the upper-hand here so apologizing might be the best thing to do.
Original post by tengentoppa
Race and sexual orientation shouldn't be, but insulting a religion is no different than insulting a political ideology or a lifestyle choice. Religion is an abstract concept and criticism and mockery should not only be allowed, but welcomed.

@OP, Just apologise and you might get off without a warning. Don't think they'll expel you for one ill-thought out message. You might not think it's fair, and you might well argue that uni is a place for open dialogue and not sheltered protection of sensibilities, but there's no use fighting the system. In future I'd keep your personal ideas off social media. Anything and everything is liable to offend someone.

Silence is golden
Reply 36
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
The problem with apologising is that you are accepting you've done wrong.

Comments about race, gender and sexuality are literally indefensible, but there is no reason why religious belief shouldn't be dragged up and smacked down, open that ass up, get inside there and spray paint some **** all up the wall, leave that ass wide open for all to see. Provided OP's comments are not racially antagonistic, (s)he should go on the attack, claim his/her freedom of expression has been undermined and religion is like politics, never beyond criticism.

Which brings us back to my point of having arrived at adulthood. Most things that we have strong opposing feelings about can be addressed respectfully, even with a strong twang of clear unmistakable venom in the delivery.

When your opinion starts to overstep the mark of discrimination or inciting hatred, particularly as an adult, it becomes a game changer for which you are leaving yourself open to lasting negative consequences.

Like a previous poster said, the OP has (probably quite rightly) been coy and guarded about what was actually posted to cause the university to be investigating the matter. There is no shame in apologising for what you *know* you have done wrong and that apology may in fact save your skin!
Original post by queen-bee
Silence is golden

That's a nice twist to put on repression of free speech.

If religion was never questioned, mocked or criticised in Europe we would still have a primitive understanding of the world.

The gulf states are a nice example of what happens when you take a "silence is golden" approaching to questioning religion.
Original post by dean01234
Unfortunately there can be consequences for posting stupid **** online. Someone will have complained about it, so it was obviously pretty bad and I can't be overly sympathetic.

I would have thought that you would get the PGdip title, but might depend on your unis expulsion policy. How bad was the comment, I don't imagine they'd kick you out for a minor slip up.

Not really. Many people complain about the most pointless ****. They suffer from permanent butthurt.
Original post by Bodeans
Hopefully you do get kicked out for being a complete and utter moron.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one deserves to get their studies terminated for criticizing a religious ideology. If the same policy applied to people criticizing political parties, the university staff would be hung, drawn and quartered by the students. PC culture and professional victims create problems for the sake of it so they can cry 'I'm offended'.

'The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others' - John Stuart Mill
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending