Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Malamo999)
    Yes. You can replace the hard drive and the battery easily on virtually every model, and you can even replace the RAM and/or Wi-Fi chip on others with little effort. In fact, you can replace just about everything in a laptop, depending on how much patience you have... but that's out of my league even. Don't worry, though. Replacing a hard drive is the easiest of procedures, and in the worst case scenario, you'll need a screwdriver. It doesn't get much worse than a few screws.
    Okay, I was just worried about buying something and not being able to modify it.

I have replaced my laptop's keyboard a couple of times and that was quite fiddly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Okay, I was just worried about buying something and not being able to modify it.

I have replaced my laptop's keyboard a couple of times and that was quite fiddly!
    Thinner laptops tend to be less upgradeable than larger bulkier ones. For example RAM is soldered onto the motherboard to save space but this means you can't replace it if there is a RAM hardware problem or upgrade it (some laptops have both builtin and removable RAM modules).

Thinner laptops with built in SSDs may not use the SATA connection (this is a connection which essentially all hard drives use). Macbooks use a modified version of a PCIe connection and since its slightly modified, barely any manufacturers have made cheap compatible drives (you can still upgrade the drive though).

Looking at £400 this is unlikely, but you can look videos of laptop teardowns for the model you are buying (iFixit and youtube are good). This will give you an idea on the time and difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is this laptop any good?

http://www.ebuyer.com/735496-lenovo-...top-80qq00cquk

i3-5005 2GHz processor
    8 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD (but would likely upgrade to SSD)

3 hours battery life - but then I agreed that I would skimp on battery life for higher specs.
    Onboard graphics - but then I'm not a gamer...

(Original post by SkyJP)
    Thinner laptops tend to be less upgradeable than larger bulkier ones. For example RAM is soldered onto the motherboard to save space but this means you can't replace it if there is a RAM hardware problem or upgrade it (some laptops have both builtin and removable RAM modules).

Thinner laptops with built in SSDs may not use the SATA connection (this is a connection which essentially all hard drives use). Macbooks use a modified version of a PCIe connection and since its slightly modified, barely any manufacturers have made cheap compatible drives (you can still upgrade the drive though).

Looking at £400 this is unlikely, but you can look videos of laptop teardowns for the model you are buying (iFixit and youtube are good). This will give you an idea on the time and difficulty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Having looked at the reviews of the above laptop, whilst overall very positive, it seems the few complaints hinge about the fragility - something that I'm not too bothered about given that I mainly use it as a desktop - and the speaker quality - again, see previous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Is this laptop any good?

http://www.ebuyer.com/735496-lenovo-...top-80qq00cquk

i3-5005 2GHz processor
    8 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD (but would likely upgrade to SSD)

3 hours battery life - but then I agreed that I would skimp on battery life for higher specs.
    Onboard graphics - but then I'm not a gamer...

Okay thanks.
    It's fairly pricey if you plan to switch the hard drive out anyway, you can find laptops with the same processor and 4GB of RAM for as much as £100 less. I would go for something like this Lenovo, which has no other significant downsides compared to the one you've chosen beside the components you can upgrade anyway, to save yourself £90 then throw in an 8GB RAM kit from Crucial for £40, leaving you with £50 extra to go towards your planned SSD purchase.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.