Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mcxo)
    I'll come out of this with a hugely inferior certification compared to counterparts at other institutions.
    Specifically?

You'll get a degree, no? What other certification is applicable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcxo)
    Obviously I can't appraise the opinion of the whole class, as it's about 100 students in total, but there is a consensus amongst friends who are taking the same course, that there are definite shortcomings in the level of breadth / depth, and pace.
    If none of you have ever raised any of these concerns with the class rep (you do have one, don't you?) over the last 12 months then I'm all out of sympathy.

You can't really talk about ROI for an undergraduate degree but if you could then a £13k loan on very favourable terms to gain a degree is surely a good deal?

You haven't told us why the course is a "hugely inferior certification".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Specifically?

You'll get a degree, no? What other certification is applicable?
    Yes, I'll get a CS degree. But all CS degrees are not created equally. There is a huge disparity between the underlying content between different institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    If none of you have ever raised any of these concerns with the class rep (you do have one, don't you?) over the last 12 months then I'm all out of sympathy.

You can't really talk about ROI for an undergraduate degree but if you could then a £13k loan on very favourable terms to gain a degree is surely a good deal?

You haven't told us why the course is a "hugely inferior certification".
    No worries, I'm not tendering for sympathy.

The whole course, including maintenance loans, costs close to £40k, of course it is sensible to talk about this in terms of its ROI. Regardless of the loan terms, it is still an amount of money that I will pay back, including interest. It is probably the second largest investment that most people will ever make, it would be naive to not consider the return that it would deliver.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mcxo)
    Yes, I'll get a CS degree. But all CS degrees are not created equally. There is a huge disparity between the underlying content between different institutions.
    Is it accredited by BCS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcxo)
    No worries, I'm not tendering for sympathy.

The whole course, including maintenance loans, costs close to £40k, of course it is sensible to talk about this in terms of its ROI. Regardless of the loan terms, it is still an amount of money that I will pay back, including interest. It is probably the second largest investment that most people will ever make, it would be naive to not consider the return that it would deliver.
    Years 1 and 2 are sunk costs that you've paid irrespective whether you go on to year 3. So we're really only talking about the costs of year 3 here.

Non-graduates can't apply for graduate schemes/jobs. Many jobs specify a 2.1 (or higher). How valuable is a degree in being able to open these doors? Still think you can quantify the benefits of a degree and therefore work out an ROI?

My advice - stick it out and forget about compensation. Save your energy for your studies. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    You talk a lot of sense, and I'm absolutely in agreement with most of what you are saying. As I said previously, I have bounced back and forth between the two schools of thought.

(Original post by MountKimbie)
    Bit of an insensitive response. How do you ever really know the quality of a course (different people have different ideas of what quality is) until you get there?

op, what sort of compensation are you expecting to receive? Do you have a maintenance loan? How are you paying for tuition.
    You ask questions, you do your research, you go to open days, speak to students, call up, go to taster sessions. Unless you do nothing... Like op then yeah, you've no clue

(Original post by mcxo)
    How you have managed to reach that conclusion with the limited information that I've provided so far is beyond me. Do me a favour and duck out of this thread, I was looking for intelligent discussion. Thanks.
    Only because I'm literally telling the truth? How did it take you almost two years to conclude you made the wrong choice as well?

(Original post by TeeEm)
    I did!
    But it makes no sense ...

I go to a University (my choice)
    The course does not fall to expectation (personal opinion)
    Can I have my money back after one and half year ...

I am truly lost.
    EXACTLY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    You ask questions, you do your research, you go to open days, speak to students, call up, go to taster sessions. Unless you do nothing... Like op then yeah, you've no clue

Only because I'm literally telling the truth? How did it take you almost two years to conclude you made the wrong choice as well?

From the initial post, OP could of done all of those things and just not of said. It's not unheard of that people drop out in second year.

The students that universitys get on their open days are only really going to speak positively about the course. Same with taster sessions, prospectus etc. It's all advertising a product, the degree.

From the initial post, OP could of done all of those things and just not of said. It's not unheard of that people drop out in second year.

The students that universitys get on their open days are only really going to speak positively about the course. Same with taster sessions, prospectus etc. It's all advertising a product, the degree.
    Yeah sure, drop out because you decide the course isn't for you, but to try to claim compensation for making the wrong choice personally? It's beyond me lol

Sure but realistically they speak positively because that's most likely their opinion, they picked the uni and course and they enjoy it. I don't see how the university could give you the completely wrong impression, but if somehow he ended up having entirely different expectations he can't really expect money back.

ReputationRep:
    lmao compensation because you dont like something you have invested money in.

thats call life

get used to it

ReputationRep:
    wait, shiit!! can i claim compensation from paying bills then?!?! -.-

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure, drop out because you decide the course isn't for you, but to try to claim compensation for making the wrong choice personally? It's beyond me lol

Sure but realistically they speak positively because that's most likely their opinion, they picked the uni and course and they enjoy it. I don't see how the university could give you the completely wrong impression, but if somehow he ended up having entirely different expectations he can't really expect money back.
    Op hasn't made any formal claim, they were merely enquiring about the possibility, wouldn't you at least enquire if you had forked out 18k? You'd at least ask. The worst that could happen is a "no, sorry".

I dropped out of my first course after a semester after visiting 2 open days, interviews with students, sample lectures etc. Okay, it's not 2 years, some of my friends stayed on to 'see where it would go' as first year isn't always representative, one dropped out in 2nd year, the other at the end of first year. It happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    lmao compensation because you dont like something you have invested money in.

thats call life

get used to it
    If you invest money in an expensive car and it's faulty or not up to the manufacturers specifications would you sit back and say "oh, that's just life" or would you enquire about compensation?

ReputationRep:
    If you invest money in an expensive car and it's faulty or not up to the manufacturers specifications would you sit back and say "oh, that's just life" or would you enquire about compensation?
    well in that instance a new car would be issued and the faulty one taken back depending on the severity of the default.

the OP chose the course and the university so why ask for compensation just because they dont like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    well in that instance a new car would be issued and the faulty one taken back depending on the severity of the default.

the OP chose the course and the university so why ask for compensation just because they dont like it.
    They haven't asked for compensation, they were just exploring the idea on this forum, to which people have reacted very strongly to.

He was JUST asking guys.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't asked for compensation, they were just exploring the idea on this forum, to which people have reacted very strongly to.

He was JUST asking guys.
    its ridiculous to even enquire about it though

Op hasn't made any formal claim, they were merely enquiring about the possibility, wouldn't you at least enquire if you had forked out 18k? You'd at least ask. The worst that could happen is a "no, sorry".

I dropped out of my first course after a semester after visiting 2 open days, interviews with students, sample lectures etc. Okay, it's not 2 years, some of my friends stayed on to 'see where it would go' as first year isn't always representative, one dropped out in 2nd year, the other at the end of first year. It happens.
    Yeah sure but you just realised that this isn't what you wanted to do, and you accepted that you've just made the wrong choice. If unis compensated for making the wrong personal decisions they'd be spending their whole budgets on students who drop out lol

ReputationRep:
    I said that the course is not delivering the level of complexity, breadth and depth that I expect from an undergraduate CS degree. I have also said that this sentiment is echoed by several others on the course. It would be impossible to determine that these factors are inadequate without actually being on the course.

The reason that I haven't taken action sooner is because, as I had mentioned previously, I conceded on the first year, as it was said to be an acclimating period. I've also said that I've bounced back and forth during the second year between the decision to leave and staying the course. With the latter being the most sensible choice which always prevails.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure but you just realised that this isn't what you wanted to do, and you accepted that you've just made the wrong choice. If unis compensated for making the wrong personal decisions they'd be spending their whole budgets on students who drop out lol
    At no point have I said that this isn't what I wanted to do. I had worked in the IT sector previously, I will be returning to the IT sector following completion. I haven't changed my mind over my direction.

The course does not deliver an adequate level of complexity, depth and breadth. That is my qualm.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.