The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year just to reapply to Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

i say yes! if you really want to go there's no harm in trying again. just make sure you do something useful in your gap year.
Original post by jneill
You get the new PG loan, plus there's a reasonable chance to get a scholarship
http://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/funding.html

This looks like it could be an option, thanks! So on balance, would you think it's better to do a postgrad rather than risk reapplying for undergrad?
Original post by Des_Lumières
I have a lot of sympathy for where you're coming from. I personally didn't even apply to Oxford even after going there on a summer school and really liking it - which I later regretted somewhat. All of this mainly because I had other plans to study outside the UK and also because my family where not very positive about the elitism or cost of it. I now plan to apply there for postgrad.

My advice to you would be to accept the Ancient History place. Whether or not to take gap year I think should depend on whether you want a break from your studies. If so defer it (but only once the've accepted you!) and go ahead an make plans for a gap year. Remember if you choose to go straight into Ancient Hist. there's always Oxford for postgrad. It's no big deal where you do your first degree really.

Thanks for responding :smile:. I don't feel like I need a break from my studies I suppose, I'd still want to do lots of reading etc. But postgrad might be a good idea.
Reply 23
Original post by simbasdragon
This looks like it could be an option, thanks! So on balance, would you think it's better to do a postgrad rather than risk reapplying for undergrad?

No I'm not saying that... :wink:

Many people reapply and get in 2nd time around. But many people don't...

If you have a good plan B for what happens if you don't get in then you've not much to lose. You should still get offers from good unis even if oxford passes you up again. And then the PG would still be a possibility.
My feedback was very vague, it just implied that my passion didn't come across, which I entirely agree with.
I did Classical Civilsation at AS, and I'm predicted an A* now at A2. I have offers from 2 universities to do English, and an offer of ancient History from another.

I could firm the ancient history course (basically Classics), but part of me is saying that if I'm going to do Classics, I may as well try to do it at Oxford.

Thanks very much :smile:

Do you have any experience of either Latin or Ancient Greek though? Tbh I'd take the ancient history course at Durham if you like the look of the course content there.

I might be wrong but I think you're looking at the whole studying at Oxford thing with rose-tinted glasses. Sure, it does have a particularly strong reputation for Classics, but that's not to say you wouldn't have a great, fulfilling time at another uni, and do very well having graduated from said other uni. I get the impression you've got Oxford up there higher on a pedestal than it needs/ought to be! :dontknow:
Reply 25
Omg someone who is an English/ Classics enthusiastic like myself!!! Finally! I thought we were a dying breed... haha

I applied for English Literature at Cambridge in the 2014/15 cycle. I got a place, but on the condition to start in October 2016 rather than 2015 due to my ''age''. Thus i am currently on my gap year.

Seriously think about taking a gap year. It is a long amount of time. Time you have to plan shrewdly otherwise it will evade you.

University is a place to invest in your future. If you honestly think that you would be more happier studying Ancient History go with your gut instinct.

You have yet to take your A2 exams so it is still early days. At this point, i would advise you to work to the best of your ability to secure high grades. This will make more options open to you post results day. (i.e. having high enough grades to reapply to Oxford in the 2017/18 cycle).

Why Oxford? You could go to another highly reputable university like Durham and have an equally enjoyable and productive time. Sometimes it is necessary to overlook the ''so-called'' prestige of an establishment; it is not the place that becomes you, it is ultimately what you do and achieve there that will secure a promising future (in terms of employment, etc).

My friend is also on a gap year and she was offered a place to study at Cambridge after having finished sixth form, so it certainly is possible. There is an element of risk in every decision you make. You just have to decide whether it is worthwhile for yourself.

Sorry for the essay! :wink:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
@Thetankman you want to do that right ?

Yeah quite possibly, although for me I messed up my admission test which I know I could have done better.

For OP I think it really depends on what you want to do in the gap year, I personally won't waste a year to just apply to Oxford
Reply 27
The idea of travelling in my gap year does really appeal to me. I'd just be scared of feeling like I'd wasted a year if I don't get in to Oxford.

It isn't wasting a year! No one ever regrets taking a gap year and everyone always says you can immediately tell those who have from haven't as they are so much more mature and interesting. It is the one and possibly only year you get in your life where you have no working commitments (schools/exams/uni/working/family) so don't miss it - it literally is a once in a life time thing - a year you will never get back.
I applied for English this year at Oxford but got rejected. This was likely due to my lack of preparation; I hadn't fully read most of the books on my personal statement and didn't have any other books I could confidently talk about.

I would like to reapply for Classics at Oxford for the 2017/2018 cycle. I love Classics equally, if not slightly more than English, and I've raced through two books on the era in the past week alone as I find it so fascinating. Would it be worth taking a gap year purely to risk reapplying for Oxford?

Hi, I applied to Oxford last year and didn't get in, but reapplied and got in this year, so it's something I can definitely relate to! I think it's always going to be a risk taking a gap year just for the sake of reapplying, as there is still the chance of you getting rejected a second time round. However, if your heart is set on Oxford then I think it's worth it (provided you get good A2s!). I'm not going to pretend that taking a year out isn't a big thing though, because it is, so if you do decide to reapply it's important that you make sure you have something worthwhile planned, so that even if you do get rejected again, it's not a complete waste of a year. In my case, I applied for Japanese, and I'm currently on my gap year as an exchange student at a Japanese high school. So even if I weren't to have gotten into Oxford this time, I am still benefiting massively from this year, so it wouldn't have been a waste of my time.

Last year I prepared a lot (probably too much), and so even though I knew my books and personal statement inside-out, I did quite badly when it came to dealing with problems on the spot. I also didn't portray my passion for the subject enough either, as I made the mistake of thinking that the tutors would just assume I'm passionate because they read my personal statement and reference (bad idea!). If you can acknowledge what you did wrong the first time and work on it, then you will stand a much higher chance of getting in next year. You will already be at an advantage because of actual (rather than predicted) A2 grades and you will already know the format of the interviews, so it won't be completely new to you.

For the time being the main thing to focus on is getting good A2 grades, and also start thinking of gap year plans, so you're not planning it all last minute! If you have any questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Hi,

As a person who has already got offer from Cambridge in English, would you please tell me your experience of getting admission in Cambridge for English. I definitely know the grade requirements but would like to know, apart from that what they are actually looking and what needs to be taken care of in personal statements and in interview and what all other aspects they are looking for offering an admission.

Thank you.

Original post by sos_
Omg someone who is an English/ Classics enthusiastic like myself!!! Finally! I thought we were a dying breed... haha

I applied for English Literature at Cambridge in the 2014/15 cycle. I got a place, but on the condition to start in October 2016 rather than 2015 due to my ''age''. Thus i am currently on my gap year.

Seriously think about taking a gap year. It is a long amount of time. Time you have to plan shrewdly otherwise it will evade you.

University is a place to invest in your future. If you honestly think that you would be more happier studying Ancient History go with your gut instinct.

You have yet to take your A2 exams so it is still early days. At this point, i would advise you to work to the best of your ability to secure high grades. This will make more options open to you post results day. (i.e. having high enough grades to reapply to Oxford in the 2017/18 cycle).

Why Oxford? You could go to another highly reputable university like Durham and have an equally enjoyable and productive time. Sometimes it is necessary to overlook the ''so-called'' prestige of an establishment; it is not the place that becomes you, it is ultimately what you do and achieve there that will secure a promising future (in terms of employment, etc).

My friend is also on a gap year and she was offered a place to study at Cambridge after having finished sixth form, so it certainly is possible. There is an element of risk in every decision you make. You just have to decide whether it is worthwhile for yourself.

Sorry for the essay! :wink:
If you exceed the required grades this year and do something worthwhile with your gap year then I'm sure you'll get accepted! I know that Cambridge won't accept applicants who are already at another uni unless they have attenuating circumstances, but I'm not sure about Oxford. I think I also read somewhere that taking a gap year reduces your chances a little bit, but if you exceed the required grades then you won't be at a disadvantage.

Taking a gap year is a big decision but if you really want to go to Oxford then I personally think it's worth taking a gap year! Good luck with whatever you choose!!:h:
Would you please explain your experience of getting into Cambridge for English? What are they particularly looking for? I know the requirements in A-level grades ,but I would like to know about the interview and other aspects they are looking to offer an admission.
Reply 32
Original post by krvsnicket
Would you please explain your experience of getting into Cambridge for English? What are they particularly looking for? I know the requirements in A-level grades ,but I would like to know about the interview and other aspects they are looking to offer an admission.

Hi, you may be better having a look in the Cambridge forum. Similar questions have been asked (and answered) previously.

Also, Peterhouse are hosting a Q&A thread for a couple of weeks:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4057087
Reply 33
Original post by CaiYu
Do you know how to reapply while I am in my first year? What qualifications should I provide! Is my previous alevel result still valid? If I want to reapply for the course I was rejected what should I do?(I am not talking about Oxbridge, just LSE/UCL)

Sorry for bothering you with a lot of questions.Thank you in advanced

You apply through UCAS as before. Yes your A-levels will matter, as will your current university performance. And you would be expected to have a reference from your current university.

You might be able to transfer into Year 2 - but you would need to check with the new university in advance.

Lots more info here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by CaiYu
Thank you so much! ! I wonder if I can retake my alevel test while I am in first year? I have got a con offer in UCL but I'm now worried about my Alevel results... If I retake Alevel test, who will predict my grades?since I am an international student and used to. take my Alevel test in my own country.

Your referee is responsible for providing the predicted grades to UCAS. But they may not want to do so if they don't know how well you are you doing in your A-level... you would need to discuss it with your university tutor (your likely referee) if you decide to go ahead.

Be wary of doing A-level retakes whilst doing a university course - it will distract you, and also watch out for possible exam timetable clashes.
Reply 35
Original post by CaiYu
Thank you so much! That's really useful ! I am just not sure if tutors in KCL would be willing to write reference and predict Alevel results for me haha.But I will definitely try.

Which is why it might be more sensible (and cheaper) to take a gap year.
Reply 36
Original post by CaiYu
yeh I know, but I really fear of ending up with a much lower unit than KCL... I don't know about units like LSE's view on retake A2 for another year?

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements
Retakes:
"Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations. If extenuating circumstances have impacted your exam performance, you should include details of these in your application."
Why would someone wanting to attend one of the most competitive universities, on one of the most competitive courses at ANY university (although you're thinking of changing to Classics now) not fully prepare?

I'm not trying to put you off if you could get in Oxford, and if you'd enjoy it.

But don't we tend to prepare for what we are passionate enough about to want to spend 3 years studying it, that we
think we have a chance at?

-
Edit:
I now see that the topic is from 2016 and was recently bumped. They ended up going to Durham and not being
entirely happy that they didn't go to a London university.

City-wise, Oxford and Durham definitely wouldn't be in my top tier (Durham's kind of predictably dourly cliquey compared to some other places, Oxford's got one of the blandest shopping areas of any UK city and isn't as close to as pretty as many might think) but Newcastle is close to Durham.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest