The Student Room Group

International Mature Student Question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peacefrog1987
Does anyone have a suggestion which university might be the best overall for my circumstance? Granted I get any more offers.

Not sure what you mean by circumstances. But I think you should research each degree carefully, look at the modules available (there will be differences), think about what study abroad opportunities there are, what kind of extra curriculas, internships and jobs are available on or near campus. Also think about where you want to live - do you want to live in a city or a small rural town?

I did a bit more research into Aberdeen and it seems it may well be cheaper than Penn State because there is an international scholarship which basically means you don't pay tuition fees in the fourth year: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/international/international-undergraduate-scholarship-972.php
Ok. I will do that. I wouldn't mind a city with a smaller feel. I like rural areas just fine because I am used to being isolated. I guess I meant overall recommendations from anyone if they knew anything about those universities or hearsay at least.
14/3 University of Aberdeen offered me an unconditional offer. :smile:
Reply 23
14/3 University of Aberdeen offered me an unconditional offer. :smile:

Excellent news! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a bit confused though. In their terms regarding offers they state they are not gaurunteeing they will sponsor someone with an offer for a Tier 4. I am not sure if I am just reading it wrong or that means my place really isn't secure. Not sure.
I am a bit confused though. In their terms regarding offers they state they are not gaurunteeing they will sponsor someone with an offer for a Tier 4. I am not sure if I am just reading it wrong or that means my place really isn't secure. Not sure.

That sounds really strange. I would email the admissions staff for clarification, as obviously you don't want to accept a place unless you're sure you can get a visa.

Congrats on the offer though :h:
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
That sounds really strange. I would email the admissions staff for clarification, as obviously you don't want to accept a place unless you're sure you can get a visa.

Congrats on the offer though :h:

Thank you. I am quite excited. I guess it was the way they had their terms worded that confused me. It was just addressing further clarification on tuition fees, passport copy, and a form being signed before they will allow the CAS. I forgot they didn't ask for a copy of my passport or anything before.
Finance wise I imagine Aberystwyth and York would trump the Scottish universities down to having 3 year rather than 4 year degrees.

Have you had a nose online for virtual open days etc? And have you ever visited the UK (and if so which bits)? Finding somewhere with the right "feel" is difficult from somewhere so far away.

I'd recommend having a read of the which university guides...they give quite a rounded view of different universities - the proportion of non-uk students is worth a quick look. In most of your choices you're likely to be one of very few US students (the US student market seems to focus in very much on London, Edinburgh and St Andrews - outside those 3 locations you're likely to be able to count the number of fellow US students on your digits) that might not matter to you in the slightest but it's worth thinking about.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-stirling-s75 http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-dundee-d65 http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-aberdeen-a20 http://university.which.co.uk/aberystwyth-university-a40 http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-york-y50

Also find the information about the student union at each university - these are an invaluable source of information from a different perspective. Find out about clubs/societies/events/activities targeted at mature and international students to help you settle in. Likewise have a look at what study skills support is on offer - both from the departments, student services or the library.

@Snufkin suggested looking into MOOCs to prepare - at the least I'd suggest a go of https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/preparing-for-uni (and if it comes back then https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/study-skills-for-international-students should be worth a quick look although it is focused more on non-english speakers) and https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/english-for-study might be worth checking out.

Probably my stubborn American spirit I suppose.

Does anyone have a suggestion which university might be the best overall for my circumstance? Granted I get any more offers.
Reply 28
Hi everyone. Before I describe my situation I will present this (please excuse my rather informal nature - I do not feel like being overly articulate today) :

1. I am an American
2. I am 28 years old
3. I have been absent from academic life for 10 years
4. My GPA from high school was a 3.4 and my SAT composite score was 1700.
5. I am from an extremely rural area and my school did not offer AP courses at all.
6. I can pay the international fees. The price is worth the experience and the quality of education.

First, I understand the requirements involved with admissions as far as A-Levels and their equivalents. I also understand that universities will take special consideration in regards to mature applicants. Furthermore, I know statistics are rather different between US and UK universities so I will avoid comparing the two. I apologize for any redundancies.

I have applied to five universities for BSc Geography (L800) Aberdeen, Aberystwyth, Dundee, Stirling (Environmental Geography), and York. I deferred my start to the 2017/18 academic year.

I have an extremely strong personal statement and reference. Without going into detail I have an "inspirational" story explaining my life away from education and my journey back. I am aware my lack of qualifications leave something to be desired. Obviously the smart option would be attending university in the US. Then I assume I will be told to consider a year abroad as an option. However, this is not going to get me where I want to be.

So given this information would anyone be able to provide a little insight on some of my expectations as far as who might make me an offer? I would imagine it would be either an unconditional offer or a rejection as there are really no conditions applicable save them recommending an access or foundation year. I know every case is different and no circumstance is exactly the same.

I presume mature-international students are far and few between and finding relevant testimonies has been...impossible.

Is there any possibility I will be offered a place at any of these universities or should I expect rejections overall? I would choose to think positively but I would like some honest opinions.

Thanks!

I am in a similar situation I guess, I am Canadian and already have a degree but am looking to do a career change so I am considering doing either a whole new bachelors (it's only 3 years in the uk compared to 4 in Canada) or a masters. I will probably choose the latter as I did a professional designation degree 2 years prior.

You will most likely get into these universities because quite frankly you are paying international student fees and these universities aren't particularly prestigious. I would recommend you apply to more well known uni's that may not necessarily be in London possibly like University of Manchester, Chester, Warwick, Nottingham
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know what state the OP lives in, but let's assume its Pennsylvania. Penn State estimates a total cost of $34,598 (£24,186) per year, that covers tuition fees, accommodation, food, books, everything really. International fees at Aberdeen are £17,200. The cheapest catered accommodation I could find at Aberdeen was £154 a week (39 weeks). Aberdeen also anticipates students will need an additional £200 a month to pay for lunches (which are not included in the accommodation cost), travel, and other general living costs. So that's a total of £25,206 - and that does not include the cost of books or flights home!

Paying a bit more to have an international experience and to receive a higher quality of education are perfectly good reasons for coming to the UK. However, considering that all British universities outside London cost about the same, I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity not applying to more prestigious and internationally recognised universities.

I kind of agree with this, but in all honesty who the hell wants to go to a state school? No one wants to hire a state school grad, now take a look at tuition in well respected institutions like U Penn, Northwestern, NYU, U Chicago and you will be astonished
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by simmys
I kind of agree with this, but in all honesty who the hell wants to go to a state school? No one wants to hire a state school grad, now take a look at tuition in well respected institutions like U Penn, Northwestern, NYU, U Chicago and you will be astonished

Exactly. Private universities are insanely priced. I had been accepted to Dusquense a while back but decided not to go because I couldn't see paying that much for such a commonplace experience. You may as well take the cost of a bachelors from a state school and flush it for all the good it will do you. I am happy I waited and played my odds with the U.K. Universities.

I accepted and confirmed my offer to Aberdeen. I ended up with unconditional offers across the board, save York, I withdrew my application with them. Very excited to be coming over next year..thank you all for your input and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending