Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To mark International Women's Day lets finally ban the oppressive, sexist Burka watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Ironic how on women's day you're taking away the rights of women to wear whatever they want.
    How many women actually want to wear such a disgusting medieval invention THAT haven't been brainwashed by islam to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to seriously answer the idea, but when your OP and thread title is the same, I don't get very good vibes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    How many women actually want to wear such a disgusting medieval invention THAT haven't been brainwashed by islam to do so.
    Quite a lot actually. If you open your mind instead of being ignorant and brainwashed yourself, you'd be able to see that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Quite a lot actually. If you open your mind instead of being ignorant and brainwashed yourself, you'd be able to see that
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Comparing a one off dress for a one day occasion to having to wear a burka everywhere you go.
    In your opinion then, how many times a year is it acceptable for someone to wear a burkha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undine_monty)
    On the outside it may seem like the burka is oppressive/sexist but to the wearer, it can be a symbol of liberation enabling her to enter the public sphere without losing her culture and history. Wearing a burka may symbolise resistance to oppression rather than be a cause of it.
    I don't think that view is really grounded in reality. One day it might be, but not now.

ReputationRep:
    I think many women may be insulted to even suggest they might want to wear a misogynistic piece of clothing.
    Yes but you can;t just send in police t remove clothing from people to "free" them yourself. Plenty of women have reacted badly in the past to being told they are oppressed. Feminists often got a lot of resistance coming from women when they suggested that the role of the woman in the family unit was oppressive. It;s a pretty normal reaction. You've grown used to something, you've internalised the reasons for it. You family are a part of that tradition. When someone starts telling you that your dad/husband is oppressing you, someone you love, it gets complicated.

ReputationRep:
    To mark International Women's Day lets finally ban the oppressive, sexist Burka
    It's not oppressive if they can choose to wear it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    OR

to mark international women's day let's encourage freedom to women internationally to wear whatever they want, even if that is the burka
    I like that idea the best

ReputationRep:
    What if a woman wants to wear a burqa?

ReputationRep:
    I would consider the Burqa oppressive, and I agree many women probably feel pressured by their family and community to wear one. However, I am sure there are women out that choose to wear it, thus in those cases it's not considered "oppressive".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    OR

to mark international women's day let's encourage freedom to women internationally to wear whatever they want, even if that is the burka
    :rofl: smashed it with the response!! no wonder your spoderman :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    how about we finally ban telling women what to wear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    :rofl: smashed it with the response!! no wonder your spoderman :giggle:
    PRSOM

It's more oppressive to dictate what a woman can and can not wear and if you had the opportunity you'd probably have all women wear bikinis as it's more 'liberating'

ReputationRep:
    I think many women may be insulted to even suggest they might want to wear a misogynistic piece of clothing.

Again underlined to make it simple to comprehend.
    I think if you just encourage women to wear what they want to then most won't make do mental gymnastics required to get offended over nothing.

Simple to comprehend enough for you?

ReputationRep:
    To mark International Women's Day lets finally ban the oppressive, sexist Burka
    Your an ass!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.