Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best city in the uk to move to other than London watch

ReputationRep:
    No cheap shot intended but you can see the recurring theme is to go to Northern England or Scotland if you want friendlier people.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    id say leeds

ReputationRep:
    Leeds or York.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Derby

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I love Bristol

ReputationRep:
    manchesterrr

ReputationRep:
    London - it's globally

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Living in Liverpool and loving it here I'm obviously going to vote for my city
    It has all the things you listed but is far far cheaper to live here than London and pretty much anywhere down south.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is fantastic! (Very cheap, close to London, close to countryside, very cultural, very safe!)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    bradford

srs

ReputationRep:
    Also Salford, nice place.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham, has a lot to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hpayne96)
    Looking to move to the UK from Australia for a fresh start. I would like a city that has welcoming people, wicked nightlife and a good cultural scene. Thought you guys might be able to help out and this could provoke a good chat about London alternatives

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Leeds has friendly people, loads to do and fab nightlife.

ReputationRep:
    Come to Wales, we have mountains and castles.

In all seriousness, Cardiff is definitely an underrated city. It's great for shopping, has heaps of restaurants, a very active nightlife, and feels a lot safer than somewhere massive like London, Birmingham, Manchester e.t.c. There are loads of beaches and countryside near Cardiff too, which you certainly don't get in somewhere like Birmingham. Plus hey, we're the inspiration behind the name of an entire Australian state, so you'll feel right at home

Where in Australia are you from, by the way? I lived and worked in Sydney for 5 months or so last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    A lot of the major cities here have what you're after OP, will you be moving to the UK to study or to work?
    Work. Thanks for responding

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dear_Rhian)

In all seriousness, Cardiff is definitely an underrated city. It's great for shopping, has heaps of restaurants, a very active nightlife, and feels a lot safer than somewhere massive like London, Birmingham, Manchester e.t.c. There are loads of beaches and countryside near Cardiff too, which you certainly don't get in somewhere like Birmingham. Plus hey, we're the inspiration behind the name of an entire Australian state, so you'll feel right at home

Where in Australia are you from, by the way? I lived and worked in Sydney for 5 months or so last year.
    Sydney

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hpayne96)
    Looking to move to the UK from Australia for a fresh start. I would like a city that has welcoming people, wicked nightlife and a good cultural scene. Thought you guys might be able to help out and this could provoke a good chat about London alternatives

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dear_Rhian)

Crap weather, annoying accents, grumpy Welsh people, run down cities and more sheep than jobs.

I've heard Scotland is way better. Go to the North if you want to actually talk to people :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen much of the UK but I would say Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and you would be welcome here (you can even go and look longingly at the Ashes that you have lost!).

If not London, I would suggest Brighton, Manchester or Edinburgh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.