Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Vardy should start ahead of Rooney' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Rooney is a declining force as a player so for me we start with Kane and then look at form and fitness and how we want to play. If we're playing 2 up front then it would be Kane and one of Vardy or Sturridge depending on fitness.

I think Welbeck isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's a decent option and he'd be my back up to Vardy / Sturridge. If there is an injury crisis in the next few weeks then put Troy Deeney on standby.

What we really need is for Kane to score a few goals in the Euros. I think if Kane does well at an international tournament it will settle a lot of debates and give England a spearhead like we used to have back in the day with Lineker or later Shearer - an unquestionable leader up front who we know will score goals in the big occasion. I just get a sense with Kane that he has the same relentless unflappable temperament.

The bonus with Vardy is the other teams might underrate him, whether he starts or comes off the bench they will be like who's this lol which is what happened in the Premier League too but he's quick and can finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Rooney is a declining force as a player so for me we start with Kane and then look at form and fitness and how we want to play. If we're playing 2 up front then it would be Kane and one of Vardy or Sturridge depending on fitness.

I think Welbeck isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's a decent option and he'd be my back up to Vardy / Sturridge. If there is an injury crisis in the next few weeks then put Troy Deeney on standby.
    Deeney ahead of Rooney, somehow these suggestions are getting worse...

In which area is Deeney better than Rooney? I'd sooner take Defoe
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That hair deserves to be in France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Vardy played well for half an hour in a friendly, he should defo start ahead of the record goalscorer and captain. Also for those saying Rooney shouldn't be taken, who should go ahead of him. Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and who else? Welbeck? Carroll? Rashford?
    My 23:
    Goalkeepers:
    Joe Hart
    Fraser Forster
    Ben Foster

Defenders:
    Nathanial Clyne
    Kyle Walker
    John Stones
    Chris Smalling
    Gary Cahill
    Phil Jagielka
    Danny Rose

Midfielders
    Danny Drinkwater
    Eric Dier
    Jordan Henderson
    James Milner
    Ross Barkley
    Dele Alli
    Adam Lallana

Attackers
    Harry Kane
    Daniel Sturridge
    Jamie Vardy
    Danny Welbeck
    Rahim Sterling
    Christian Zaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    My 23:
    Goalkeepers:
    Joe Hart
    Fraser Forster
    Ben Foster

Defenders:
    Nathanial Clyne
    Kyle Walker
    John Stones
    Chris Smalling
    Gary Cahill
    Phil Jagielka
    Danny Rose

Midfielders
    Danny Drinkwater
    Eric Dier
    Jordan Henderson
    James Milner
    Ross Barkley
    Dele Alli
    Adam Lallana

Attackers
    Harry Kane
    Daniel Sturridge
    Jamie Vardy
    Danny Welbeck
    Rahim Sterling
    Christian Zaha
    What have "Christian" Zaha and Welbeck done to merit a place ahead of Rooney? Welbeck's on a decent run of form I guess, but Zaha has been garbage since January

On another note your squad only has one left back.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Christian Zaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Is there even an England fan out there who wants Rooney to start? Coleen perhaps. If there is anyone on here I'd like to know why.

It can't be great for the others knowing that no matter how well they play, if fit Rooney is going to start ahead of them no matter what.
    This post sums up the real reason why England fail to win anything.

It has nothing to do with foreign players in the Premier League, there are more than enough English players starting every week for that not to be an adequate excuse. The problem is that big name players always get favoured ahead of players who don't have such a big name, but who are playing very well.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney should not be in consideration for the squad. Sadly for Woy his inclusion is an easy way out because he doesn't have the cajonies to make that decision. Rooney has been awful for England since 2004. Look at his tournament goal record. For a supposedly 'world class' player that the media seem to go on about he is distinctly average. Even Welbeck has done more for England. All of Rooney's goals recently have been penalties or against San Marino (or both). Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Welbeck all have mobility and speed which is what a striker needs which Rooney lacks.

Personally our line up should be 4-2-3-1:

Hart (GK and Captain)
    Walker RB Smalling CB Stones CB Rose LB
    Dier CDM Drinkwater CDM
    Vardy RW Alli CAM Sterling LW
    Kane ST

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.