Soul Eater
    6.67%
    Detective Conan
    11.11%
    Other
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    did you watch frozen? shrek? others like those?
    LOL! Now we are diggin into the real anime zone...

ReputationRep:
    The Simpsons
    If that's not an acceptable answer then Naruto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss_Rhythm)
    LOL! Now we are diggin into the real anime zone...
    yea! of course

ReputationRep:
    Airplane instruction videos from the 80s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nursey_nurse)
    The Simpsons
    If that's not an acceptable answer then Naruto
    Cos the Simpsons was made by Japanese people!! (Why didn't I think of that?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saeedpoppa)
    Airplane instruction videos from the 80s
    Erm... I am confused...

ReputationRep:
    Cos the Simpsons was made by Japanese people!! (Why didn't I think of that?)
    Am I right...or am I RIGHT?! 👌😂

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think that they were true 'Animes' ..... what actually is anime?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What about Cory in the House?

ReputationRep:
    Erm... I am confused...
    Watch this and be enlightened my friend, to truly great anime (the comments prove just how great of an anime this is)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLte6uLMi1g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amellia123)
    Well the google definition is:
    a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saeedpoppa)
    Watch this and be enlightened my friend, to truly great anime (the comments prove just how great of an anime this is)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLte6uLMi1g
    Ok! Good point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    What about Cory in the House?
    Definitely not an anime!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The comments in that YT link disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Think again mate, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPbtlFVV3X0

ReputationRep:
    Hunter x hunter

ReputationRep:
    i would say they fit into the category of western anime... but anime nonetheless

i would say a computer animation

ReputationRep:
    Well the google definition is:
    a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.
    Ahhh okay I see - thank you! Hmm I'm afraid I haven't watched an Anime in that case!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh okay I see - thank you! Hmm I'm afraid I haven't watched an Anime in that case!
    Ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    this is not an easy question, but the poll was easy as **** - "other".

my personal favourites:
    great teacher onizuka (funny as **** and great characters - I'd recommend this to people who've never seen anime - 10/10 - if I could, I'd give it 11/10)
    golden boy (funny as hell for a 6 episode show - 10/10)
    cromartie high school (again, hilarious, but requires a special taste 9/10)
    akira (one of my all time favourite movies - 9.5/10)
    his and her circumstances (probably the best anime romance series - 9/10)
    ghost in the shell movies (incredibly cool and stylistically stunning - 9/10)
    death note (a very intelligent and intellectually stimulating series, but it gets very boring after "that bit where that character dies" - 9/10)
    spirited away (a great representation of miyazaki's works 9/10 - my other recommendations from miyazaki would be whisper of the heart and my neighbour totoro)
    ranma 1/2 (hilarious and extremely watchable if you're watching it dubbed 8.5/10)
    cowboy bebop (a bit hit and miss but the good episodes are brilliant - 8.5/10)
    metropolis (one of the first anime movies I ever saw after pokemon - 8.5/10)
    outlaw star (possibly even better than bebop for its story 8.5/10)
    perfect blue (satoshi kon's best movie imo - incredibly thrilling - 9/10 - I wouldn't recommend paprika, but I'd definitely recommend tokyo godfathers from kon)
    dragon ball /z (the best and quintesential shounen - it defined an anime generation for a while - 8.5/10)
    yu yu hakusho (another brilliant shounen 8.5/10)
    berserk (a difficult anime to bear with, but it gets really good as it goes along - 8/10)
    lucky star (not particularly amazing but very watchable and accessible - 8/10)
    neon genesis evangelion (if you've got all the time in the world and like depressing animes then this is pretty great - 8/10)
    trigun (like NGE, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of time on your hands - but it's a satisfying experience - 8/10)
    lupin the 3rd/detective conan movies (I am *incredibly biased because I love these movies based on their thriller-factor and artwork, but yeah. 8/10)
    (I don't like animes unless they're at least an 8/10)

I kind of understand why somebody would like one piece and I've seen maybe 30 episodes, but really I don't consider it a good investment of time based on the quality of the show, but I consider the quality of the show to be stunted mainly due to how I don't like shounen animes (any more). I know it takes a lot of patience for it to get good - I understand that - but honestly, I'm just that kind of person who'll judge it poorly because of the poor artwork at the beginning. but I have a great deal amount of respect for one piece compared to naruto or bleach. I've tried those too and while I didn't really dislike naruto, I *did* dislike bleach. bleach seemed like a rip off of yu yu hakusho, but with swords. at least naruto had *a little bit* of originality. as for FMA, I appreciated it somewhat but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I have a uni friend who is pretty much beginning an anime phase in his life and he seems to love animes like fairy tail, sword art online and attack on titan and, again, while they're not terrible (I liked AOT the most) they really aren't worth the time that you must put into them. hellsing is an okay series if you like that genre, and soul eater is probably the better shounen series of this last decade, but again, I'm kind of over shounen so I'm not a fair judge. some animes I am partial to simply because of nostalgia, I'll admit that - pokemon and digimon (especially pokemon) will always be favoured for me even though, objectively, they're really not very good. so animes I'll always be against because of the hype around them which makes little sense, such as haruhi suzumiya.
    Thank you Almighty Jesus! For spreading your wisdom with us! I acknowledge your point.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.