Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Google's banned interview questions- what would you say? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    http://www.iflscience.com/technology...can-you-answer

I saw this this morning and weirdly I think I'd find a lot of those questions easier to answer than standard interview ones! I'd imagine they'd be quite offputting if you'd just walked into your first job interview though... What would you say?
    bumba clart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    Circle manholes take up less area and still allow passage of people and therefore are lighter and easier to move? Whats complicated about that.
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Wrong answer.

They are round as a round cover cannot fall into its own hole and cause injury or damage whereas a rectangular cover can.
    I think its because circle dont have sharp edges to puncture tires or hurt people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Another one that got me (I feel like in missing the point of this somewhere!)- what is the significance of 'dead beef?'
    It is a tautology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    I think its because circle dont have sharp edges to puncture tires or hurt people.
    Always read the thread properly before posting a silly answer.

ReputationRep:
    How many manhole covers do you have in your collection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRUsername99)
    How many manhole covers do you have in your collection?
    You must be mistaking me for Jeremy Corbyn.

http://news.sky.com/story/1588590/co...manhole-covers

ReputationRep:
    How is this a silly answer? If anything yours is silly because cheap metals are used in manholes and reducing area isn't a major concern.

ReputationRep:
    How is this a silly answer? If anything yours is silly because cheap metals are used in manholes and reducing area isn't a major concern.
    Eh? I said it was nothing to do with reducing surface area, but everything to do with needing covers that cannot fall through their own hole.

Being circular is entirely irrelevant to having sharp edges; there are plenty of non-manhole covers that are rectangular. We are quite capable of producing smooth-edged metal plates of any shape.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? I said it was nothing to do with reducing surface area, but everything to do with needing covers that cannot fall through their own hole.

Being circular is entirely irrelevant to having sharp edges; there are plenty of non-manhole covers that are rectangular. We are quite capable of producing smooth-edged metal plates of any shape.
    Why would a manhole be turned 180 to get on it's side anyway? So its not a relevant answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Can you explain this one jezza?
    http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/...1_90c0ad91.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    Circle manholes take up less area and still allow passage of people and therefore are lighter and easier to move? Whats complicated about that.
    (Original post by JW22)
    I was thinking it was because if you had a square manhole cover, placed it on its side and turned it 45 degrees it would fall through the hole, whereas a circle would never fall through because it's diameter is always the same regardless of its position
    Name:  IMG_20160330_141501-1b - Copy.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  75.7 KB
    Sorry for the bad quality; I don't have a camera with me. I've seen another 4 square or rectangular ones without leaving the house.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    wtf is a manhole

if i was asked such stupid questions i probably wouldnt take it seriously and give back stupid responses. stupid questions get stupid answers.

considering the jobs i apply for as well (part-time retail) i'd walk out, £6-7 is not worth that kind of ridiculous interview process.
    Google pay is somewhat more than £6-7 per hour...

(Average Google UK remuneration is over £160k.)

ReputationRep:
    "14. You have to get from point A to point B. You don't know if you can get there. What would you do?"

google maps?

ReputationRep:
    These types of questions are actually pretty common in the graduate market. They are by far the easiest type of question you can be asked once you have the hang of them because they don't require a correct answer, all you need to do is speak out loud your thought process. Here are my answers:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1. A number proportional to the number of windows, the difficulty in reaching the windows, and you should also factor in local competition so you can offer the lowest price possible.

2. (answered already in this thread, sigh.)

3. Ask Bob to write yes or no as the answer to the question, or ask him to call you.

4. Answer along the lines of the answer to 1, but you would estimate the number of pianos in the world and how many of them have players. The whole point of these questions is not to give a correct answer, it's to show you have reasonable, logical, and creative thought patterns.

5. Every man dies. 99 women would be able to tell the 1 woman that her husband cheated. After that the 1 woman would feel angered and would tell the 99 other women that all their husbands have also cheated. We know this becuase the question says that every man has cheated, so each woman knows of 99 cheaters.

6. He was playing monopoly.

7. Depends on the number of hands. Clocks with two hands will overlap once per hour, except once per day. This logic extends to three handed clocks too where the second and minute hands overlap once per minute except once per hour, etc.

8. Like Q1 and Q4. Estimation question.

9. I actually don't know what this is. Is it some American thing? Is it beef that has just gone off? I would so fail if I was asked this haha. I would ask them to explain it and then see where it leads. This question sounds like it is asking about the implications of a certain system, which requires you to see the bigger picture.

10. Any string is possible. This is how texting used to work on phones that didn't have keyboards. (I imagine the newer generation struggled with this question and that was why it was removed.)

11. Lie down. The blades will pass right over you. Once you are safe you can figure out what to do about your size. (this question tests your response to a sudden stressful situation. You need to ride the situation out safely and then make future plans)

12. Estimation question again. Estimate the volume of a bus, the radius of a golf ball, work out volume of golf ball, divide bus volume by golf volume, then multiply by a reasonable number to account for packing density (i.e. there will be air gaps between the golf balls). I would probably multiply by 70%.

13. (this question tests your abstract thinking). Lots of stuff in a single place. Can find what you want in the stuff. The stuff is very organised. (you do not say long sentences with these types of questions. You must keep your answers short and lacking detail. If asked to explain it in a single sentence then I would have just said the first point)

14. Look at a map or ask for directions to first learn various routes. Then explore the equipment needed for each route and decide from that if you can make it or not.

15. No - I don't gamble. (this question isn't about the maths, it's about whether or not you take risks. A maths-based answered would be acceptable, but I don't feel this is what they were looking for.)

ReputationRep:
    Here are questions I have been asked in interviews that have thrown me off. They are again ones to test your way of thinking:

1. Do you like garden gnomes?

2. Explain how an optical computer mouse works (and then the interviewer put such a mouse in front of me and I was speechless).

3. Are you an experimenter or a thinker? (for a job that required both. Had to answer in a way that made it clear I was good in both worlds. You need to be able to answer difficult questions in a dynamic and successful way.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    10. Any string is possible. This is how texting used to work on phones that didn't have keyboards. (I imagine the newer generation struggled with this question and that was why it was removed.)
    Is "1" possible? Or "格"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Is "1" possible? Or "格"?
    Heh, good point. Only strings from letters/symbols on the phone are possible.

ReputationRep:
    Why would a manhole be turned 180 to get on it's side anyway? So its not a relevant answer.
    It's the correct answer. If you were a worker and a colleague on the road above you dropped a 40kg cover that happened to fall through its hole and hit you you would not be a happy (or well) man, so it is entirely relevant to why manholes should be circular.

ReputationRep:
    It's the correct answer. If you were a worker and a colleague on the road above you dropped a 40kg cover that happened to fall through its hole and hit you you would not be a happy (or well) man, so it is entirely relevant to why manholes should be circular.
    Dropping from the road above? Why would there be a manhole in the road above? They aren't just put randomly because they ran out of asphalt... Its supposed to lead to somewhere. There's no one correct answer but yours is obviously wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dropping from the road above? Why would there be a manhole in the road above? They aren't just put randomly because they ran out of asphalt... Its supposed to lead to somewhere. There's no one correct answer but yours is obviously wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are not thinking. When the manhole is in place, covering the hole, its shape does not matter one jot. The problems arise when people have to use them for their intended purpose (manholes, remember) as access points to the underground drainage and utility system.

If you were the man below the hole, would you prefer a cover than couldn't possibly be dropped on you, or would you prefer your colleagues to be handling a wet lump of steel with frozen hands above your head?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.