Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cuban Missile Crisis - who really won? Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    the USSR - because the only thing that really happened that differed from the previous situation was that the US withdrew their turkish MRBMs which was near the USSR border. the US already tried to invade cuba (albeit not with their full force) and failed so it wasn't really as if the US was in an advantageous position when they were negotiating with the USSR - while they promised not to invade cuba after the crisis, they probably wouldn't and couldn't do that anyway, and they lost their turkish nuclear advantage
    What about the media victory for the US? Khrushchev was made to look weak and Kennedy strong?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by neb789)
    What do we know of Russia today? Its making allies of everyone the west opposes and its fighting a proxy war in Ukraine? Is that not power?
    I agree, but I don’t think Russia is dictating events. It is more of the US and Germany that are dictating what happens. Apparently, Putin only listens to Merkel (German Chancellor) and the West uses her to pacify him.

I see Russia as a big bully looking for trouble to gain supremacy. I like Putin and his “assertive” attitude. However, I think that the USSR would not have done that because they already felt supreme. The Soviets were involved in big super power projects such as space research, energy research and other activities. Today, we see that only US and China are the actual super powers.

ReputationRep:
    Great points - what about Cuba though?
    I'd say that Cuba gained from the missile crisis as they had the support of the USSR which would make a US invasion practically impossible. However they had this support before the missile crisis so I don't know how much of a difference it made. It's been a while since I've done anything on the missile crisis.

ReputationRep:
    The Castro regime certainly won, achieving a guarantee of its independence without the inconvenience of nuclear weapons actually being present on its soil.

The USSR gained no useful advantage and nor did the US, stalemate between the two.

ReputationRep:
    What about the media victory for the US? Khrushchev was made to look weak and Kennedy strong?
    I really wouldn't know about that - I'm just making an assessment of who gained the most with regards to these two governments

ReputationRep:
    The US and the USSR both won. Cuba lost. The Cuban base was IMO a bigger threat than the Turkish one and the USSR missed their chance to total nuclear annihilation, so a slight win for the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cuba suffered 50 years of isolation from US aid and trade because of the missile crisis, definitely a loss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd certainly say everyone won as nuclear war was avoided!
    Certainly I'd say the USA came off well but Fidel Castro probably didn't have too many complaints either.
    The whole reason the Soviets wanted to place IRBMs on Cuba was because they felt like the USA was ahead of them in terms of nuclear weapons rather than to push an advantage they already felt they had. The only real benefit the Soviets got out of the crisis was the long term security of Cuba. The Jupiter missiles that the USA had in Turkey were already obsolete and were of no real military consequence. The fact that the Americans removed these as part of a secret deal ensured that politically it was a success too.
    The Soviets, despite some feeling of success, removed Khrushchev two years later.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I'd certainly say everyone won as nuclear war was avoided!
    Certainly I'd say the USA came off well but Fidel Castro probably didn't have too many complaints either.
    The whole reason the Soviets wanted to place IRBMs on Cuba was because they felt like the USA was ahead of them in terms of nuclear weapons rather than to push an advantage they already felt they had. The only real benefit the Soviets got out of the crisis was the long term security of Cuba. The Jupiter missiles that the USA had in Turkey were already obsolete and were of no real military consequence. The fact that the Americans removed these as part of a secret deal ensured that politically it was a success too.
    The Soviets, despite some feeling of success, removed Khrushchev two years later.
    What about on the media stage - might the world view of American victory explain Khrushchev's departure?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.