Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got my job when I was 16. As long as you have completed your GCSE exams, employers can normally employ you. You can find a job in retail at 16 as well as cafes and also independent shops such as farm shops. There are some companies, such as Pizza Express, that will employ you as a waiter if you are below the age of 18

ReputationRep:
    I accidentally fell into a job at a laser tag place when I was like 15. Just explore every possible avenue, ask a few business owners if they've got something going, etc

ReputationRep:
    Just go to some desperate retail place like Co-op or Poundland, then don't show up for months. They'll never fire you. They're pussies.

ReputationRep:
    A cousin of mine applied to clothing shops when he was 16, like Next, it was temporary but they called him back for the Christmas holiday. He applied online and got told to come in a few days later and started working straight away pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamJose)
    I am working with a technology company and my manager said that they were looking for students to do some research.. Think it's plain stupid Internet stuff. But it's paid :-P

where is this??

ReputationRep:
    Explore Learning take you so long as your have GCSEs in English and Maths, and it's easy shifts to juggle with school as well

ReputationRep:
    I work in a place that serves alcohol & I'm 16, when serving alcohol I have to go and ask a member of staff who is 18 to stand with me and watch me scan it / serve it which is sometimes awkward when the customer doesn't really know what's going on lmao - so it shouldn't be a problem for you to get a job
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by nasm)
    I would like to get a job this summer but most waiting jobs say you have to be 18 and over (because they sell alcohol) so I was wondering where I should look, what places hire 16 year old?

Thanks!
    Can't you work as a pharmacy assistant with decent GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    I work at Specsavers, they hired me after I did work experience there for 5 days and I was only 16.

ReputationRep:
    Go to an agency.

ReputationRep:
    Dont do it its tiring and mean people and you realize how annoying the public are and those weekends I couldve spent on A levels dont do it ppl save urself !!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamJose)
    I am working with a technology company and my manager said that they were looking for students to do some research.. Think it's plain stupid Internet stuff. But it's paid :-P
    What technology company is this and where?

ReputationRep:
    The best bet (in my town at least) is to pop into your local town centre / shopping centre and look for an information board where they post vacancies in the shops. If that doesn't exist, then asking around and looking for shops that have vacancies will help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 and I really want to work with an editing company but I don't think they'll accept 16 year olds

ReputationRep:
    I've been working since I was 15 years old actually! I started off working in a small, locally-owned family bakery and then left that and I now work in the retail chain, Dunelm. Despite my age (I'm currently 17 and was 16 at the time of hiring), I was still hired there considering we sell knives, solvents and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I would personally look at work experience to build a CV. I'm not sure if you're English or American so I won't quote shop names at you! But I worked first in a grocery store, (unpaid) but I had ZERO experience at this point.

Grocery stores, Convenience stores, like someone else said look at hospitality waiter/tress jobs. Hair salons, cleaning. Indeed is a great place to look.

You could try your local Job Center you shouldn't have to claim to get some advice. and they may be able to help you with work experience this is how i built my CV I've only had 3 (Hopefully 4 today) Paid jobs, the rest are work experience, which I use to flesh out my CV and it shows the employer that you're wanting to work and willing to do anything to get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happylittlepill)
    I'm 16 and I really want to work with an editing company but I don't think they'll accept 16 year olds
    You won't know until you try, and you'd be suprised! It'd be a great start up!

ReputationRep:
    You try searching some jobs where one of the requirement is age at 16.

ReputationRep:
    listen to me; start a business, a very small business, the business can be anything(you can buy and sell, then make a profit of it).
    to start the business, ask your parents money or simply a loan from your parents, bank won't give you loan.
    as time flies, keep expanding and keep on expanding, never stop expanding until you become big.
    You need to have good patience.
    congratulation.

ReputationRep:
    You can work as a waiter at 16, just not as bar staff. We use a lot of 16-17 year olds as floor staff and then when they're 18 they move onto the bar if they're still around (and half decent), and then new kids appear to replace them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.