Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunamorrissey)
    Hi, for section 3 - dominate ideology of a political party, for example I am doing it on New Labour, do you discuss the impact of the dominant ideas of the party on its electoralperformance in one specific general election or in different years' elections? does this make sense? sorry! thankyou? i am not sure if this sent already sorry
    Talk about the 3 elections 1997, 2001 and 2005 (All Blairs new labour).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACz09)
    Talk about the 3 elections 1997, 2001 and 2005 (All Blairs new labour).
    Thank you. Are you doing New Labour also? do you have an examples as all the information covered by my lecturer was on the 2010 election?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher takes part in making up our exam so he gave us no predictions or any help really although he said that the only real past paper was last years.

With this in mind here are my predictions:

Section 1 Political Theory - 20 mark essay
    Direct VS Representative Democracy
    Political Ideologies

Section 2 Political Systems
    Since this is most likely a 12 mark essay I don't think it will ask how a bill becomes a law because my teacher said he doesn't see how that could come up as a 12 mark question because it is so detailed it is 20 marks usually

With that in mind my prediction is

Government Scrutiny
    Judiciary

Section 3 Political Parties and Elections
    Dominant Ideology of Political Party
    Sociological Model

ReputationRep:
    This is so helpful thank you! I am really struggling with section 2 as there is just so much to learn.
    I have learnt UK vs US Judiciary, President vs Prime Minister's powers and their limits, and US vs UK constitution. But I have not done the legislative or government scrutiny. Which would you say is the easiest and quickest to learn? If i need to learn one?

ReputationRep:
    This is so helpful thank you! I am really struggling with section 2 as there is just so much to learn.
    I have learnt UK vs US Judiciary, President vs Prime Minister's powers and their limits, and US vs UK constitution. But I have not done the legislative or government scrutiny. Which would you say is the easiest and quickest to learn? If i need to learn one?
    Government scrutiny. Don't think legislative will come up but remember it is just a prediction and I could well be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    For judiciary the question will be regarding citizens' rights I'm sure. I've tried writing that essay but only got one good paragraph for checks and balances, separation of power and parliamentary sovereignty.

Does anyone know what else you could write about regarding the role of the judiciary to guarantee citizens rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACz09)
    For judiciary the question will be regarding citizens' rights I'm sure. I've tried writing that essay but only got one good paragraph for checks and balances, separation of power and parliamentary sovereignty.

Does anyone know what else you could write about regarding the role of the judiciary to guarantee citizens rights?
    My teacher said we didn't have enough time to learn the whole course so we missed that out unfortunately or I would try and help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TartanGibby)
    My teacher said we didn't have enough time to learn the whole course so we missed that out unfortunately or I would try and help
    No problem! Thanks anyway. Do you think its possible to get away with 2 paragraphs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACz09)
    No problem! Thanks anyway. Do you think its possible to get away with 2 paragraphs?
    I do politics similar to Modern Studies in that I do PEEREELS
    What is suggested for 12 mark essay in Political systems - 2 PEEREELS and for 20 mark - 3/4 PEEREELS, the more the better
    For 12 marks for other sections it is 3 PEELS and for 20 mark in section 1 it is 4 PEEREELS.

ReputationRep:
    For the Judiciary that I have wrote about:
    The independence of the judiciary, in that they must be independent and free from corruption and the criticism from other branches to effectively interpret law and protect individual’s rights, and how the US judiciary has more measures in place to protect this independence ie. judges being appointed for life, can't diminish their pay etc.
    Separation of powers which you've already covered
    Judicial impartiality
    Constitutional impacts on the judiciary's power in protecting rights so, UK parliamentary sovereignty, US constitutional sovereignty and the powers of the US supreme court in terms of judicial review and being able to invalidate legislation which it deems as "unconstitutional", which helps protects the citizens rights guaranteed in the US Constitution.
    I am not sure if this helps at all but it is just what I have revised for the Judiciary.
    Does anyone have any revision or essay plans for government scrutiny??? or which past papers covered that topic I cant find any and have done no revision on that topic.

ReputationRep:
    Really worried about this exam, feel as if I don't know anything, hoping for the best.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree!! I wish we knew more about the format of it I haven't even looked at the data questions so no idea how to answer them I wish my lecturer had gone through how to structure an essay answer :unimpressed: Hope fully it wont be too bad

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have example answer for The Sociological Model of voting behaviour, for section 3?

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree!! I wish we knew more about the format of it I haven't even looked at the data questions so no idea how to answer them I wish my lecturer had gone through how to structure an essay answer :unimpressed: Hope fully it wont be too bad
    Hello! My teacher is actually on the marking team this year for the paper, so is aware what scores full marks in terms of the Data questions! Due to this, everyone in our class always gets 7/8 out of 8. This is one data question that I done, and scores 8 with! Hope it helps, and best of luck to you tomorrow!

Data Question
    1. Itis stated that “The 2007 elections to the Scottish parliament were a triumphfor democracy and also witnessed a significant rise in voter participation” Source Aindicates to us the voter turnout by region in the 1999 2003 and 2007elections. It indicates to us that participation did indeed increase whencompared to the election previously before it (2003), with a rise of 2.3%scotlandwide, and an increase in turnout locally across the board. However, itcannot be said that this was a triumph for democracy, as indicated by the 1999turnout, in which there was a significant decrease when it is compared to the2007 election. The 2007 was still around 7% lower than the turnout in the 1999election, and as such, it cannot be considered as democratic as the 1999election. Therefore, interms of the statement “The 2007 elections to the Scottish parliament were atriumph for democracy and also witnessed a significant rise in voterparticipation”, it can be found to be incorrect. Although there was indeed arise in voter participation compared to 2003 election in 2007, it can be foundthat it cannot be considered a triumph for democracy, as the voter turnout wasstill around 7% lower than that in 1999. It is also statedthat “The election represented an overwhelming victory across all parts ofScotland for the SNP whilst Labour and the Liberal Democrats emerged as the biggestlosers” Source Bindicates to us the % change in the share of vote for particular parties. Itindicates to us that in terms of regional share of vote, the SNP were indeedthe biggest winner, gaining 10.2%. However, it can be found that the most significantloss was not held by Labour and the Lib Dems who lost only 0.1% and 0.5%respectively. It was instead the Green Party and the SSP who were the biggestlosers, losing 2.9% and 4.5% respectively. Therefore, it can be found that thebiggest losers on the night were the SSP and Green party. Source Cindicates to us the MSP’s by region after the 2007 election. It indicates to usthat the SNP were not the overwhelming victors in all parts of Scotland, withthe SNP actually losing in terms of having the most seats per area in 4 areas,and drawing in one. They lost in areas like Central Scotland and West Scotland,and drew in places like Lothian. Overall, the SNP has only one more seat compared to their nearest rivalslabour. Therefore, it can be found that the SNP were not the overwhelmingvictors across Scotland, as they were defeated in several key areas includingCentral Scotland and West Scotland. Therefore, interms of the statement “The election represented an overwhelming victory acrossall parts of Scotland for the SNP whilst Labour and the Liberal Democratsemerged as the biggest losers”, it can be found to be incorrect, as, in termsof % change regionally, the biggest losers were found to be the SSP and theGreen party, and not Labour and the Lib Dems. Furthermore, in terms of the SNPbeing overwhelming victors, is also incorrect, as they were defeated in keyareas in terms of seats like Central and West Scotland. In conclusion itcan be found that in terms of the whole statement “The 2007 elections to theScottish parliament were a triumph for democracy and also witnessed asignificant rise in voter participation. The election represented anoverwhelming victory across all parts of Scotland for the SNP whilst Labour andthe Liberal Democrats emerged as the biggest losers.” It can overall be foundto be incorrect. The information provided by source A indicates that it was nota triumph for democracy in 2007, due to the poor results compared to the 1999voter participation, which had dropped by 7% by 2007.

ReputationRep:
    lol going into this exam with only 3 essays; Politicial ideologies,comparison of judiciary and sociological model :P

I don't think I have a good chance of passing this subject right now.. I realised that revising the dominant ideologies of labour might be a good idea but I am struggling to come up with stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xdabex)
    lol going into this exam with only 3 essays; Politicial ideologies,comparison of judiciary and sociological model :P

I don't think I have a good chance of passing this subject right now.. I realised that revising the dominant ideologies of labour might be a good idea but I am struggling to come up with stuff
    I would also revise Direct VS Representative Democracy if I was you

That way you have
    2 essays for section 1
    2 essays for section 3
    1 essay for section 2

Does anyone have example answer for The Sociological Model of voting behaviour, for section 3?
    I am about to type it up, do you think I can get away with not revising social media since it came up last year?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! and do you mean social media as in modern technology campaign techniques? Because I have not revised campaign techniques, I've done dominate ideas of New Labour and voting behavior models. But I would think you'll get away with not revising it if as it came up last year! Lets hope so!!

(Original post by EwanPow)
    Hello! My teacher is actually on the marking team this year for the paper, so is aware what scores full marks in terms of the Data questions! Due to this, everyone in our class always gets 7/8 out of 8. This is one data question that I done, and scores 8 with! Hope it helps, and best of luck to you tomorrow!

Data Question
    1. Itis stated that “The 2007 elections to the Scottish parliament were a triumphfor democracy and also witnessed a significant rise in voter participation” Source Aindicates to us the voter turnout by region in the 1999 2003 and 2007elections. It indicates to us that participation did indeed increase whencompared to the election previously before it (2003), with a rise of 2.3%scotlandwide, and an increase in turnout locally across the board. However, itcannot be said that this was a triumph for democracy, as indicated by the 1999turnout, in which there was a significant decrease when it is compared to the2007 election. The 2007 was still around 7% lower than the turnout in the 1999election, and as such, it cannot be considered as democratic as the 1999election. Therefore, interms of the statement “The 2007 elections to the Scottish parliament were atriumph for democracy and also witnessed a significant rise in voterparticipation”, it can be found to be incorrect. Although there was indeed arise in voter participation compared to 2003 election in 2007, it can be foundthat it cannot be considered a triumph for democracy, as the voter turnout wasstill around 7% lower than that in 1999. It is also statedthat “The election represented an overwhelming victory across all parts ofScotland for the SNP whilst Labour and the Liberal Democrats emerged as the biggestlosers” Source Bindicates to us the % change in the share of vote for particular parties. Itindicates to us that in terms of regional share of vote, the SNP were indeedthe biggest winner, gaining 10.2%. However, it can be found that the most significantloss was not held by Labour and the Lib Dems who lost only 0.1% and 0.5%respectively. It was instead the Green Party and the SSP who were the biggestlosers, losing 2.9% and 4.5% respectively. Therefore, it can be found that thebiggest losers on the night were the SSP and Green party. Source Cindicates to us the MSP’s by region after the 2007 election. It indicates to usthat the SNP were not the overwhelming victors in all parts of Scotland, withthe SNP actually losing in terms of having the most seats per area in 4 areas,and drawing in one. They lost in areas like Central Scotland and West Scotland,and drew in places like Lothian. Overall, the SNP has only one more seat compared to their nearest rivalslabour. Therefore, it can be found that the SNP were not the overwhelmingvictors across Scotland, as they were defeated in several key areas includingCentral Scotland and West Scotland. Therefore, interms of the statement “The election represented an overwhelming victory acrossall parts of Scotland for the SNP whilst Labour and the Liberal Democratsemerged as the biggest losers”, it can be found to be incorrect, as, in termsof % change regionally, the biggest losers were found to be the SSP and theGreen party, and not Labour and the Lib Dems. Furthermore, in terms of the SNPbeing overwhelming victors, is also incorrect, as they were defeated in keyareas in terms of seats like Central and West Scotland. In conclusion itcan be found that in terms of the whole statement “The 2007 elections to theScottish parliament were a triumph for democracy and also witnessed asignificant rise in voter participation. The election represented anoverwhelming victory across all parts of Scotland for the SNP whilst Labour andthe Liberal Democrats emerged as the biggest losers.” It can overall be foundto be incorrect. The information provided by source A indicates that it was nota triumph for democracy in 2007, due to the poor results compared to the 1999voter participation, which had dropped by 7% by 2007.
    And thankyou!!! this is very helpful! Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TartanGibby)
    I would also revise Direct VS Representative Democracy if I was you

That way you have
    2 essays for section 1
    2 essays for section 3
    1 essay for section 2

I am about to type it up, do you think I can get away with not revising social media since it came up last year?

Hey there people, Anybody willing to send me a model answer of Scrutnise of the Government and the Judicary, would be much appreciated as iam currently stuck lol

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have an example essay on tradtional campaign strategies or dominant ideas of the labour party? Dont have any notes on this as it never got covered in class and struggling to find good information on it.

ReputationRep:
    Very quick question but please help - are the SQA ever going to ask to compare between specific ideologies in Unit 1? Or will they just ask to compare and contrast between any two ideologies? planning on doing Pluralism vs Marxism

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.