Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    We are first and foremost a contextualised debating club. That is what we have always been.
    Then maybe bother with said context?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Then maybe bother with said context?
    The idea being that the main purpose is to have a debate.

Once upon a time submitting a bill or statement in response to a motion would be considered negatively: rather than stimulate a new debate you are flogging a dead horse by trying to start a debate we have just had.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The idea being that the main purpose is to have a debate.

Once upon a time submitting a bill or statement in response to a motion would be considered negatively: rather than stimulate a new debate you are flogging a dead horse by trying to start a debate we have just had.
    Then people should have stuck in UK politics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay. Libraries being closed because there's less demand. Books are cheaper, and much more freely available online (speaking from the experience of a history student who rarely visits the library). Municipal libraries are often dingy places anyway. Let's focus on preserving the nice ones for their beauty, and not waste money on the ones for which there is little need.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Originally designed and, at least in my time here, executed.

Just because you're here now doesn't mean we have to change.
    PRSOM
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Jammy Duel Nigel Farage MEP despite not being an exact model of the RL HoC, isn't the beauty of some of these shorter motions that certain members, who do not have the time or energy most of the time to wade through lengthy prose, have an opportunity to engage more with the MHoC? I'm quite sure that this motion has said what needs to be said; to make it a piece of epic literature seems quite unnecessary to me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Jammy Duel Nigel Farage MEP despite not being an exact model of the RL HoC, isn't the beauty of some of these shorter motions that certain members, who do not have the time or energy most of the time to wade through lengthy prose, have an opportunity to engage more with the MHoC? I'm quite sure that this motion has said what needs to be said; to make it a piece of epic literature seems quite unnecessary to me.
    If a paragraph or two is too much to read I suggest the member resigns their seat, for how could they possibly hope to cope with bills, statements (when they actually happen) and amendments, which are generally longer and more complicated in terms of the contents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Jammy Duel At this stage a motion should be expected from the Green Party, or the Lazy Party which is more apt, there have been no bills from the Green Party, or Green Party members in a long while.
    Did you miss my catholicism restoration bill?

Also another PMB is on the queue.

ReputationRep:
    Jammy Duel At this stage a motion should be expected from the Green Party, or the Lazy Party which is more apt, there have been no bills from the Green Party, or Green Party members in a long while.
    The Bill on the CofE, on Modelling and Image, on Rail Fares, and on School Meals have all been debated and voted on during the past month, and two motions.

I refer the Honourable Member also to the Motion and Bill Challenge.

Back to the subject of the motion, the suggestions made about digital content has some validity, but access is not available for all. The British Library is an essential part of our culture, but a long way to travel for those who live outside London and the South East.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Clear to see you don't pay attention

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay , for reasons already mentioned

ReputationRep:
    Libraries are so more than just books. They are also a place for me to meet other mothers with children the same age as mine, they are a place for my daughter to meet other children her age. I take her to events for children her age at my local branch library. They will be a place for her to attend events when she is older. Most of these events are free, so they encourage children from less well off groups to attend. I don't know what I would do if my branch library closed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think it is very sad that libraries have been a victim of Tory cuts. I personally think libraries are great and luckily, my local town still has one. I think the downfall of the library can partly be attributed to the introduction of e-books. I understand why some people like these but for those who do not, such as me, there is nothing better than a solid book. Therefore, my answer to this bill is aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    Unfortunately with the RL tories slashing funding for local governments, councils have their hands tied to exactly what services they are able to deliver.
    I was wondering why our local council was quite so bad...until I realised it was Conservative.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

This video highlights the problems of library closures in a musical way.

ReputationRep:
    Aye!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I know of a library in my town which was just built :yy:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If a paragraph or two is too much to read I suggest the member resigns their seat, for how could they possibly hope to cope with bills, statements (when they actually happen) and amendments, which are generally longer and more complicated in terms of the contents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But what is the point in a paragraph or two when a statement can be far more concise?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Saracen's Fez Stop trying to remove the context from the contextualised debating club by supporting moves to put everything in a weak statement form. This motion does not have context to it, the motion is a statement expressing anger at the closing of libraries, it belong in UK Politics where statements like this are debated, not the MHoC. The idea of context is debating proposed laws, or debating the actions a government minister makes, debating a lazy statement ignores the context.

thehistorybore If there are individuals who do not have the time to read a bill I would prefer it if those individuals do not both taking part in the MHoC. The MHoC should not start lowering its standards to cater for the lowest common denominator to attract those lazy members who write statements when a bill is more apt, or think a motion with no impact is acceptable in a game simulating Parliament.

Andy98 Little Toy Gun barnetlad The Church of England Bill was submitted on the 3rd February, the Photographic Image and Modelling Bill was on the 12th February, the Rail Fares Bill arrived on the 13th February, and Little Toy Gun's bill was on the 1st March. A party who has not submitted a bill for nearly two months, and whose members have not submitted a bill for a month is a lazy party; stop living off the past.

ReputationRep:
    Andy98 Little Toy Gun barnetlad The Church of England Bill was submitted on the 3rd February, the Photographic Image and Modelling Bill was on the 12th February, the Rail Fares Bill arrived on the 13th February, and Little Toy Gun's bill was on the 1st March. A party who has not submitted a bill for nearly two months, and whose members have not submitted a bill for a month is a lazy party; stop living off the past.
    Apart from Adam's bills, when is the last time your party or its members submitted something remotely sensible?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.