Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you use a product that (the GoPro of comms)... watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I'm intrigued by this - what sort of waterproofing are we talking here? My sailing team could use it!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I think the skiing market would be very limited. I've only ever known people to use walkie talkies if they get separated, not to actually chat while in the process of skiing as that takes up all of your concentration. You can also buy them very cheaply online.

Helmet use is also very widespread these days and I'd imagine a device the size of the bonx would be uncomfortable to wear under one.

The noise cancelling feature which is a pro for loud environments such as motor sports could also present a safety issue when skiing for the reasons mentioned in my other post. The sound from scraping skis in your vicinity is often a sign that someone has lost control which is why I keep both ears free.

However skiers are notorious posers and buy expensive gadgets for this reason.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a member of a UK based ski forum www.snowheads.com which has every type of skier imaginable on. If you want a wide range of skiing based opinions I'd recommend posting on there as well.

The Ski Club of Great Britain also have a forum but it's minuscule compared to Snowheads.

If you want to cast an even wider net the US equivalent is http://www.tetongravity.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    They are bulky, but I'd put them in an outside pocket or my rucksack.

Most ski jackets have zipped inside pockets , so its not really an issue.
    Ah ok! Do you think it would be a product that you may not find useful now, but it could be a convenience? I mean, personally, I'd find it a convenience to be completely handsfree and be able to talk to nearby skiing friends using the device?

(Original post by Madeline_H95)
    No. I just put in in a rucksack and carry on and I have some elastic chord attached to it so when I need to hold it it won't fall from the rock face.
    Your solution sounds like what the pre-gopro users did. i.e. strap a camera to their wrists to take photos. Maybe if a better solution was available, you would adopt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neb789)
    I'm intrigued by this - what sort of waterproofing are we talking here? My sailing team could use it!
    Not sure about Bonx but I'm currently gathering interest to see who would be interested in a product like that. Would it be useful in sailing? Essentially, a waterproof, shockproof, portable, handsfree walkie talkie headset that starts transmitting when you start speaking and very good at noise (background) cancelling. I'd be really interested if that's useful in sailing, maybe to easily talk to your fellow sailors? or other boats? (Potentially, it would be as waterproof as the gopro)

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Tbh I think the skiing market would be very limited. I've only ever known people to use walkie talkies if they get separated, not to actually chat while in the process of skiing as that takes up all of your concentration. You can also buy them very cheaply online.

Helmet use is also very widespread these days and I'd imagine a device the size of the bonx would be uncomfortable to wear under one.

The noise cancelling feature which is a pro for loud environments such as motor sports could also present a safety issue when skiing for the reasons mentioned in my other post. The sound from scraping skis in your vicinity is often a sign that someone has lost control which is why I keep both ears free.

However skiers are notorious posers and buy expensive gadgets for this reason.
    Thank you James! I get what you mean! When I said chat, I meant, for example, when a friend is going doing a jump, and the other is on the side watching. The one watching could comment to the friend about his/her performance. It's more of a social device than to be aimed at serious, competitive skiers.

Last Sunday, I experimented with using a throat device and a small earbud when I went racing last week (wearing a helmet). It completely bypassed the problem of not fitting under a helmet.

That's a very good point! The same device I tested only had one earbud like here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Retevis-Thro.../dp/B00XU1Q22Q . Do you think having one ear free is enough for skiing?

(Original post by JamesN88)
    I'm a member of a UK based ski forum www.snowheads.com which has every type of skier imaginable on. If you want a wide range of skiing based opinions I'd recommend posting on there as well.

The Ski Club of Great Britain also have a forum but it's minuscule compared to Snowheads.

If you want to cast an even wider net the US equivalent is http://www.tetongravity.com/
    Thanks again! I'll definitely be posting in one of them soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamikey)
    Ah ok! Do you think it would be a product that you may not find useful now, but it could be a convenience? I mean, personally, I'd find it a convenience to be completely handsfree and be able to talk to nearby skiing friends using the device?
    Yeah maybe, I wouldn't be opposed to it but concerns for a hands free device would be: range, battery life and how much excess noise would be transmitted (wind setting off the mic etc)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah maybe, I wouldn't be opposed to it but concerns for a hands free device would be: range, battery life and how much excess noise would be transmitted (wind setting off the mic etc)
    Thanks Dean! That gives me some relief lol. From your message earlier, I thought you may have had no use for it

What do you think would be the minimum range and battery life you'd want? Is 1.4km line of sight sufficient (the current radio module spec I'm using)? Non line of sight is a lot lower... possibly half

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamikey)
    Thanks Dean! That gives me some relief lol. From your message earlier, I thought you may have had no use for it

What do you think would be the minimum range and battery life you'd want? Is 1.4km line of sight sufficient (the current radio module spec I'm using)? Non line of sight is a lot lower... possibly half
    Yeah if someone bought them for me I would find a use, but I don't think I'd rush out to get one out of necessity. If the battery was replaceable 2-3 hours, if it was built in then I'd probably want about 6. 700m would be a pretty reasonable distance on a slope.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if someone bought them for me I would find a use, but I don't think I'd rush out to get one out of necessity. If the battery was replaceable 2-3 hours, if it was built in then I'd probably want about 6. 700m would be a pretty reasonable distance on a slope.
    If you could add something to the product, what would be that feature? (in order to make you rush out to get one? e.g. another feature I'm thinking about is maybe making the devices link up to any other devices in a group, but also be able to establish other links in "group calls"; maybe the possibility to use the battery pack for the device as a portable phone charger?)

Thanks again! Those are some pretty good numbers to aim for!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.