Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mixed race relationships how did your family react? watch

ReputationRep:
    my mums sister who is south asain married a black guy and my mum (south asain) married a white guy (not my dad) and my grandparents didnt care as long he was the same religion

ReputationRep:
    I'm black and my parents have generally been fine with my white boyfriend. I think my dad would have preferred me to be with a Nigerian man, but oh well, he's happy enough as long as I'm being treated well

ReputationRep:
    There is no real issue about interracial in the first world and although i don't encourage it, i wont discourage it. Ignore your parents and do whatever you want.

We all at some point take fancy to people who have a different skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    Both my parent's family (White English and Japanese) were actually supportive of my parent's marriage.
    In Japan most families are okay with their children marrying/dating non-japanese people (generally cause they want cute mixed raced babies! 😉)
    English families... It depends. My friend is Anglo-Turkish and her English family pretty much disowned her English mother from what I heard. So it depends I think.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    they didnt... my fam still dont know, and probably wont know untill im certain about our relationship

though out in public, old ladies and family's give me a weird disappointed look because seeing a brown girl with a white guy is basically like blasphemic to them :rolleyes: :rofl:

My family never said or did anything that seemed to indicate any difference whatsoever... Just the same as with any girlfriend I've ever had. However, some stupid people in uni turned out to be racist and started calling me "yellow fever" behind my back, and apparently thought I'm creepy for dating an Asian.. that's quite hurtful but would never influence me (if anything it shows me that those people are not worth my time it thoughts).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My family never said or did anything that seemed to indicate any difference whatsoever... Just the same as with any girlfriend I've ever had. However, some stupid people in uni turned out to be racist and started calling me "yellow fever" behind my back, and apparently thought I'm creepy for dating an Asian.. that's quite hurtful but would never influence me (if anything it shows me that those people are not worth my time it thoughts).
    Yellow fever?

O.o Wut?

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way, if my mother found out I was in one, I wouldn't have the capacity to tell you how she reacted to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    they didnt... my fam still dont know, and probably wont know untill im certain about our relationship

though out in public, old ladies and family's give me a weird disappointed look because seeing a brown girl with a white guy is basically like blasphemic to them :rolleyes: :rofl:
    Loooooool

also wtf, pretty sad that people give you a weird look in 2017 SMH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Loooooool

also wtf, pretty sad that people give you a weird look in 2017 SMH.
    TRY telling them that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I’m white, first boyfriend was Middle Eastern, no one batted an eye - not even my UKIP-voting grandparents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    I think (in London at least) non-English parents are more likely to frown upon mixed race relationships.
    White English parents seem less bothered imo.
    Ironically and pathetically true but not much of a bother since most nonwhite people who date out of their race seem to want white people, not south or east Asians or arab. I look at interracial couples on YouTube and the popular ones are nonwhite with white or with half white

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    Put it this way, if my mother found out I was in one, I wouldn't have the capacity to tell you how she reacted to it.
    She should be thankful you bring a girl home at all
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My parents could not have given less of a toss to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    She should be thankful you bring a girl home at all
    Gee, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Gee, thanks.
    I'm being serious. It wasn't an insult, not this time. :s 😄😜

ReputationRep:
    I'm being serious. It wasn't an insult, not this time. :s 😄😜
    Tbf I don't disagree with what you said. Well, not with the sentiment of it. I don't actually ring anyone back home, I read the thread title wrongly.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf I don't disagree with what you said. Well, not with the sentiment of it. I don't actually ring anyone back home, I read the thread title wrongly.
    I see.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Indieboohoo1)
    Mixed race relationships like white girl/guy black girl/guy Asian girl/guy etc how did your relationship work and how did your family treat your partner of a different race? You can answer if your parents are different races too. How did people on the street act etc.
    I'm Asian (Chinese) and in my personal opinion, it is quite normal for my race to date out of race.
    I guess if your parents want you to be happy then there shouldn't be any problems. However the only concern though is the language barrier for the parents to communicate with the person. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Ironically and pathetically true but not much of a bother since most nonwhite people who date out of their race seem to want white people, not south or east Asians or arab. I look at interracial couples on YouTube and the popular ones are nonwhite with white or with half white
    Yeah, I agree. You see it a lot with east Asian and Indian girls, particularly Chinese and Vietnamese girls in London. Whenever they date outside their own race, they invariably seem to end up with white males. The cultural differences / can't speak Cantonese, Vietnamese etc excuses go out the window when it comes to white males. East Asian parents are happy to look the other way if their daughter's dating a white European.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.