Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I was more thinking that your criticism is almost always applicable.
    For that particular criticism it probably can be applicable most of the time. If it can be justified then there's no reason it can't be a valid criticism.

In this context however it can be justified as a valid, and not repetitive criticism, when you look at how smaller businesses could disproportionatly suffer compared to large companies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I guess this is aimed at the £3 or so handling charge you often get when you buy sports tickets (and probably concert tickets as well) on Ticketmaster or whatever.
    I'd like to use whatever site you're on, ticketmaster tend to charge £5-£7 for gig tickets
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Oh, completely different context then. That was a power to make rules, whereas rules which already exist and will apply to any conduct already need to be certain and precise so that people can plan their conduct.
    Bit no flexibility is allowed according to you, everything must be codified to death so there is no flexibility

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I'd like to use whatever site you're on, ticketmaster tend to charge £5-£7 for gig tickets
    I'm sure it's more in the £3–5 range on Ticketmaster for rugby tickets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Bit no flexibility is allowed according to you, everything must be codified to death so there is no flexibility

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Flexibility is generally a bad thing, but the Property Definition Bill doesn't create any flexibility in the sense you mean it, since at any given time, individuals will be able to discover the law regarding their property. A power to create laws can be flexible (broad is a better word) without the laws thereby created being flexible (uncertain being a better word).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'm sure it's more in the £3–5 range on Ticketmaster for rugby tickets.
    Maybe they just see music fans as being easier to rip off
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Probably a Nay. A Business can charge what it likes for a service it provides. If they started to increase their service charges, people would buy elsewhere. For me, it's a non-issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Probably a Nay. A Business can charge what it likes for a service it provides. If they started to increase their service charges, people would buy elsewhere. For me, it's a non-issue.
    See my issue here, more with your statement than this bill tbh, going back to ticketmaster and such is that there isn't always somewhere else to buy from. If I want to go see a band and only one site has tickets and they are charging service charges of £7 for example I have no choice but to pay that charge if I want to see them.

With bigger bands sometimes you can get tickets through multiple outlets, and then you can choose which business to buy from, but this isn't always the case as I said.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    See my issue here, more with your statement than this bill tbh, going back to ticketmaster and such is that there isn't always somewhere else to buy from. If I want to go see a band and only one site has tickets and they are charging service charges of £7 for example I have no choice but to pay that charge if I want to see them.

With bigger bands sometimes you can get tickets through multiple outlets, and then you can choose which business to buy from, but this isn't always the case as I said.
    But does the whole price of the ticket go to the venue/band which is then divvied up between artists, managers, venue ect. Because if the only money that the company makes is from that charge then it does make some sense, although they could likely reduce it a fair bit and still make profit.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

I do see that point as someone that does buy tickets for gigs for small bands as well as big bands, but the ticket companies have to also make their money. They can't just sell it at face value with no added charge as they'd not be in business.

Ultimately, if you really want to see a band, you pay the extra few quid. It's usually worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But does the whole price of the ticket go to the venue/band which is then divvied up between artists, managers, venue ect. Because if the only money that the company makes is from that charge then it does make some sense, although they could likely reduce it a fair bit and still make profit.
    The charge has steadily gone up, especially on the big sites like ticketmaster, whereas the small sites have stuck with lower charges, which suggests that is a choice of increasing profit simply as they can, knowing that they control a large portion, if not all of, the tickets for the shows

I do see that point as someone that does buy tickets for gigs for small bands as well as big bands, but the ticket companies have to also make their money. They can't just sell it at face value with no added charge as they'd not be in business.

Ultimately, if you really want to see a band, you pay the extra few quid. It's usually worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mostly see above as aph made a similar point, I agree there has to be some kind of charge, but it seems the big companies are starting to increasing their charges simply as they can
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    The charge has steadily gone up, especially on the big sites like ticketmaster, whereas the small sites have stuck with lower charges, which suggests that is a choice of increasing profit simply as they can, knowing that they control a large portion, if not all of, the tickets for the shows

Mostly see above as aph made a similar point, I agree there has to be some kind of charge, but it seems the big companies are starting to increasing their charges simply as they can
    That's simply Capitalism though. If the demand is high and there is a limited supply, they can charge what they like. Businesses have every right to charge what they like for a service or product. If it's too high, no one will buy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Its possible that bigger companies have to charge more because they need to employ more people and upgrade servers to deal with more traffic. Although I don't know either way.

ReputationRep:
    That's simply Capitalism though. If the demand is high and there is a limited supply, they can charge what they like. Businesses have every right to charge what they like for a service or product. If it's too high, no one will buy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely with capitalism there must be an element of competition, if one seller has 75% of the tickets to a tour of say 100,000 tickets, then other sites have 25,000 tickets which fans will be able to get most likely with lower service charges, that leaves a high demand for only one seller who has the remaining 75,000 tickets who can charge a higher service charge because the competition has significantly less amount of tickets, and this isn't even looking at the times when these sites get 100% of the tickets leaving no competition. Then there is also the whole business about how the big sites put so much of their tickets straighter on to their affiliated tout sights for inflated prices to draw in even more profit.

Aph I would accept that argument but the sites have put prices up and up, with no improvement. Although I accept this isn't the place to talk about this really, and I know I am not the most knowledgeable in the area, that would be my friends from another forum I frequent who are mega into this area of knowledge

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Certain pricing strategies can amount to anticompetitive conduct by obstructing the free market.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Surely with capitalism there must be an element of competition, if one seller has 75% of the tickets to a tour of say 100,000 tickets, then other sites have 25,000 tickets which fans will be able to get most likely with lower service charges, that leaves a high demand for only one seller who has the remaining 75,000 tickets who can charge a higher service charge because the competition has significantly less amount of tickets, and this isn't even looking at the times when these sites get 100% of the tickets leaving no competition. Then there is also the whole business about how the big sites put so much of their tickets straighter on to their affiliated tout sights for inflated prices to draw in even more profit.

Aph I would accept that argument but the sites have put prices up and up, with no improvement. Although I accept this isn't the place to talk about this really, and I know I am not the most knowledgeable in the area, that would be my friends from another forum I frequent who are mega into this area of knowledge
    Frankly, a ticket to a gig is just a luxury and a company can charge whatever they like for it. I paid something like £75 to see Foo Fighters, including booking fees but excluding train tickets, and it was totally worth it. An extra few quid so the business can hire people to maintain the site and earn a profit is also totally worth it and should be the least of people's worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, a ticket to a gig is just a luxury and a company can charge whatever they like for it. I paid something like £75 to see Foo Fighters, including booking fees but excluding train tickets, and it was totally worth it. An extra few quid so the business can hire people to maintain the site and earn a profit is also totally worth it and should be the least of people's worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The ridiculous thing there is paying actual real money to see Foo Fighters.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    The ridiculous thing there is paying actual real money to see Foo Fighters.

Iggy Pop and Royal Blood were supporting. 100,000+ people in the crowd. It was awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Iggy Pop and Royal Blood were supporting. 100,000+ people in the crowd. It was awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait, Iggy ****ing Pop was playing BELOW Foo Fighters?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.