The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Which is the most suitable accommodation hall at Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
I think a lot of who you get is luck. I wouldn't say Tocil is "worse accommodation"; it's one of the cheapest and the rooms are an ok size. The toilets are cleaned every weekday and I never encountered any problems with sharing.

Yeah, there is a bit of a reputation for Chinese in particular to be insular. When I originally met my 2nd year flatmates at first I felt really disappointed but I was friendly to them and they returned that friendliness. I'd go in the kitchen when they were cooking and ask them about it - basically just expressed interest in their culture and before I knew it I was sitting at the table with them and a bunch of other Chinese students a few times a month eating the best food I've ever had.

The only real mess in the kitchen was the 6 rice cookers on the counter. :tongue:

Would you recommend Tocil over the other accommodations simiarily priced (ie Claycroft, Redfern, Rootes, Westwood)? If you could go back would you have changed your accommodation, just wanna make sure I don't get disappointed.

Thanks for your help! Would +1 rep again if I could

Just wanna make sure I select the right accommodation :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Would you recommend Tocil over the other accommodations simiarily priced (ie Claycroft, Redfern, Rootes, Westwood)? If you could go back would you have changed your accommodation, just wanna make sure I don't get disappointed.

Thanks for your help! Would +1 rep again if I could

Just wanna make sure I select the right accommodation :smile:

Tbh, I think your flatmates will have a bigger impact on whether you get disappointed than where you live.

I liked the location of Tocil - being right at the end of that winding road through other halls so quicker to get to lectures/library/Tesco/gym. I lived there for all 3 years of my degree so I think that answers your question of whether I'd pick it again :tongue:
I live in whitefields and would argue a case for it, willing to answer any questions about it:smile:
Hey everyone. I was looking at an ensuite accommodation, however i wanted to know whether the bathrooms are cleaned or if we have to clean it ourselves?
Reply 24
Original post by badgermushroom
I live in whitefields and would argue a case for it, willing to answer any questions about it:smile:

Hey!

Do you feel somewhat isolated to the rest of the university because the style is different and what difficulties did you find in moving in a house with people you didn't know?
As a First year student at The University of Warwick this year I lived in Old rootes. It was amazing, I really feel like i have made friends for life. However, it is the most live accommodation and i do think it impacted my grades, as i pretty much spent the whole of first term drunk in a bush! But that's because I like a party much like the majority of Rootes! On the other hand despite the fact that its considered the "party" accommodation by Warwick standards, it hardly compares to various stories I've heard from friends at much wilder universities. I would definitely suggest Rootes if you want to meet fun, sociable people and make friends for the long run!
Reply 26
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Bluebell - I love it here

gosh, I've been waiting for someone to say this. Do you mind telling me if Bluebell was your first choice please? thank you
Original post by Dreezo
Hey!

Do you feel somewhat isolated to the rest of the university because the style is different and what difficulties did you find in moving in a house with people you didn't know?

I didn't feel isolated at all. Whitefields is one of the most centrally located accommodations on campus, and the style of it doesn't affect this. The fact that there are 12 strangers all thrown in to a more compact area with a common room actually brings you closer together, in my opinion. If you're in a place with long corridors and en suites or whatever, it's very easy to live in just your room and then become isolated from others in your corridor.
I didn't have any difficulties moving in because I got on with all my flatmates. The description you put when choosing accommodation will match you with similar people to you, even if you don't get on with everyone. But I think it'd still be okay if, by some miracle, you didn't get on with anybody in your flat, because you soon meet loads of new people on your course/sports clubs/societies/friend of a friend etc. And the plus side with whitefields is that the next house is just a step away, so get friendly with your neighboring houses too!
Reply 28
I didn't feel isolated at all. Whitefields is one of the most centrally located accommodations on campus, and the style of it doesn't affect this. The fact that there are 12 strangers all thrown in to a more compact area with a common room actually brings you closer together, in my opinion. If you're in a place with long corridors and en suites or whatever, it's very easy to live in just your room and then become isolated from others in your corridor.
I didn't have any difficulties moving in because I got on with all my flatmates. The description you put when choosing accommodation will match you with similar people to you, even if you don't get on with everyone. But I think it'd still be okay if, by some miracle, you didn't get on with anybody in your flat, because you soon meet loads of new people on your course/sports clubs/societies/friend of a friend etc. And the plus side with whitefields is that the next house is just a step away, so get friendly with your neighboring houses too!

Thank you for putting my worries at ease :smile:
Original post by Amie_U
gosh, I've been waiting for someone to say this. Do you mind telling me if Bluebell was your first choice please? thank you

Yes it was

I'm being drawn to Whitefields, I quite like the idea of tight knit little houses. Does this sort of environment tend to make stronger relationships? Also, with Whitefields being quite close the the union, what's the noise like?
Reply 31
Yes it was

Thank you
Original post by TheCyanNinja
I'm being drawn to Whitefields, I quite like the idea of tight knit little houses. Does this sort of environment tend to make stronger relationships? Also, with Whitefields being quite close the the union, what's the noise like?

no don't it is awful haha its so cold in winter and too hot during summer, go bluebell
Firmed Warwick. Put Sherbourne as my 1st choice and Bluebell as my 2nd choice.

How likely is it that you get your first choice?
no don't it is awful haha its so cold in winter and too hot during summer, go bluebell

Yeah go bluebell if you have double the amount of money to burn. Not once was I too hot in summer or too cold in winter.
Original post by TheCyanNinja

Yeah I think it brings you and your flatmates closer together.
I was in the whitefields block closest to the SU, and you could hear if something was going on. It's also on the path that people tend to take on the way home, so you can sometimes hear people leaving. The worst thing about Whitefields is the walls are paper thin. But I was in the worst flat for this, and it wasn't too bad at all. Chances are you'll be in one of the many flats that won't hear the SU at all.
Hi! I am pretty confused with the residence choice. I am between Rootes, Tocil and Claycroft.
I am very sociable but I also would like to study in order to pass my first year 😜
Could you help me to decide with your experience?

Is it difficult to integrate in Tocil if you don't do any sport?

Thanks!
Does anyone here have an opinion/review on Redfern?
Original post by kys5
Yes they're very sociable! Bottom floor has one small and one medium size kitchen but they have a dining room and common room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How far of a stretch is it from the social sciences building? Is 10 minutes an accurate guess (assuming semi brisk leisurely walk lol)?
Reply 39
Original post by miyazakischihiro
How far of a stretch is it from the social sciences building? Is 10 minutes an accurate guess (assuming semi brisk leisurely walk lol)?

It is. But don't worry, unless you have to go to Life Sciences I'd say you can go from anywhere to anywhere in 15 mins tops.

Quick Reply

Latest