Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Revising at night sleeping in day Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am doing this currently haha. It works best if your family don't mind and you work effectively though the night. Problem is that you can't go outside for fresh air or anything during the night.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it kid. :/ That's not what nature intended. I've been sleeping from 9am-6pm and working on essays during the night for a few weeks now. It's really messed me up. Now sunlight makes me sad and sleepy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott M Harvey)
    I go to bed at about 9pm each day. I have a sleep phase alarm clock that wakes me anywhere between 3am-3.30am. I am completely happy with this schedule. The thing is before the rest of the country wake up (5 hours later) you've practically got a days worth of work in. My motivation is also high and I am more productive than I ever thought possible. I say definitely focus on an earlier morning, but I wouldn't fully commit to switching your sleep schedule on its head. You'll throw your melatonin out of wack and damage your circadian rhythm.
    Isn't this just similar to getting used to a new timezone? Sure you'll feel like crap o. The first few days but you'll get used to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    I am doing this currently haha. It works best if your family don't mind and you work effectively though the night. Problem is that you can't go outside for fresh air or anything during the night.
    So it works for you?
    I got hungry and went downstairs at 3am to make a sandwich lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofswords)
    Don't do it kid. :/ That's not what nature intended. I've been sleeping from 9am-6pm and working on essays during the night for a few weeks now. It's really messed me up. Now sunlight makes me sad and sleepy.
    Serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinnmartin)
    So it works for you?
    I got hungry and went downstairs at 3am to make a sandwich lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't go to college, I am retaking A2 modules on gap year, so I don't have it as hard as you but I still defo need to study lol, but I can choose when I like whereas you have to go back to sixth/college which will affect you. I'd say try make the most in the day, do a bit at night or try sleep early and kill it off in the morning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    well u could go out for fresh air just don't get mugged bruhhh

ReputationRep:
    So i just had this potential idea. i got ADDE at AS level due to procrastination and not revising and i need ABB at least for uni. My plan would be as follows:
    12am- 7am would be my new 'day' i will split it up with revising, breaks, walking the dog once maybe and eating. At 7.30 i would then get ready and go to school ( its easter now so this would be free time. Then when i get back from school about 3pm (sometimes 1pm and 4pm) i will sleep untill 11.30/12 and repeat. I know this idea sounds crazy but any thoughts and ideas wouldbe appreciated. Maybe i could try it and see how muchi concentrate? Would be useful in exams in may/june as i would revise all night for exams then all the way until the exam. I have 8 A level exams (4 retakes) in Law business and economics
    please follow me I need to ask u things about gcse you are experienced and so nice

ReputationRep:
    I focus best at night for everything from work to study, though wearing headphones hurt my ears sometimes. I would love to live in a detached house where I could have loud music on during night hours.

ReputationRep:
    personally OP I think it's a good idea and has worked for me before.

(Original post by animaria)
    Another thing the whole sleeping from 3-11:30 UR SLEEPING FOR 9 HOURS LOL. Thats so silly. My revision timetable is based on going to sleep by 10:00, waking up at 5 and having the whole day
    9 hours is not too much sleep, it's around the guideline amount for teens, and REM is extra important to consolidate what you've learnt during exams/revision.

ReputationRep:
    Started getting used to it, started 12am, finished at 4am. Now I'll just stay awake and have free time and at 9am I think I'll go to the library, come back at 3pm and sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So i just had this potential idea. i got ADDE at AS level due to procrastination and not revising and i need ABB at least for uni. My plan would be as follows:
    12am- 7am would be my new 'day' i will split it up with revising, breaks, walking the dog once maybe and eating. At 7.30 i would then get ready and go to school ( its easter now so this would be free time. Then when i get back from school about 3pm (sometimes 1pm and 4pm) i will sleep untill 11.30/12 and repeat. I know this idea sounds crazy but any thoughts and ideas wouldbe appreciated. Maybe i could try it and see how muchi concentrate? Would be useful in exams in may/june as i would revise all night for exams then all the way until the exam. I have 8 A level exams (4 retakes) in Law business and economics
    I do that already I did that for my Geography mock I revised at 3am until 7am two days before the exam then next day just did a few papers and I got an A. Revising at night is the best thing ever for me its the only time of the day my brain functions properly.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this just similar to getting used to a new timezone? Sure you'll feel like crap o. The first few days but you'll get used to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really, because there are two important considerations: Endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers. It's been a long time since I've studied psychology, so this might be a bit sketchy.

Without exogenous zeitgebers (external influences on circadian rhythm), it would be much the same as adjusting to a new time zone. Unfortunately, they do play a part.

Our bodies work to align most efficiently with our environment. When it gets dark, the pineal gland increases melatonin production (sleep hormone). Temperature supposedly signals bodily in/activity. The lack of social presence, exercise, meal times...

It is possible to simulate all of the prerequisites, but it is very easy to do yourself damage. That's why I recommended earlier mornings rather than a complete 'on its head' schedule.

ReputationRep:
    I did what you're proposing for a little while, OP. It's effective, yes. The only problem is that your family gets antsy because they don't see you because you go straight to bed when you get in, and you'll miss dinner.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.