Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Yea your right about religion being a personal matter, what I'm saying is that religions are a set of guidelines and rules (emphasis in the rules) that were written thousands of years ago when humans knew diddly squat about the earth compared to now, these rules and guidelines haven't changed since, unlike the way we run countries and develop with breakthroughs in science and technology which most religions mention that is going against "The Will of God". When you use religion to govern countries and guide people in today's age it just doesn't work... you know what the most well developed countries in the world are? Places like Norway, Austria, Netherlands, Sweden, New Zealand, Japan, Finland. All of those places have the highest rates of atheism as well. Now look at places that have little atheism and loads of religion like South America, Africa, South Asia... Where would you rather live? in the land of the atheists or the land of the believers?
    i'd much rather live in a land of multii-faith. and many religions including the liberal protestant church believe the Bible needs to be re-interpreted to fit modern day society. As for country matters, thats because they are forcing it down their throats and nobody has the opportunity/ free will to change religions or be non-religion. if anything, the government of the country or whatever should be more relaxed about it. Plus the countries you mentioned are underdeveloped. If we look at a multi-faith country like the UK, it stared of super religious during the reigns of the Tudors, but as time progressed, new religions were being brought in and technology which explained things the religion can't, but in the underdeveloped countries they have little technology to look out in space and go yeah there's red-shift which means the galaxy is expanding which supports the Big Bang theory.

ReputationRep:
    Only Jesus Christ can give the gift of salvation. Islam does not give this benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirty Dawah)
    +1

Islamic society has much better morals than Western society, but the casual antisemitism, homophobia, sexism and racism detracts from the good points Islam brings.
    homophobia is a tough subject for all religious people, they believe in love and fairness and therefore some do in actual fact accept them. I go to a school where there homosexuals and muslims, never not once have I seen a muslim be homophobic never, thats because its a personal choice. Also, there is legit no sexism, at my mosque there are males and females, nobody stays at home. Also the Prophets daughter Fatima Az-Zahra was one of the greatest women around, surely if there was sexism, the daughter would not have been known. And whose to say sexism isn't around in all places, workplaces, schools etc. From a young age kids are told girls are better than boys, boys are better than girls. You can't really blame religion for that. And how on earth did you get racism, the first prayer caller was a black man, in hajj we all go and you find Asians, middle eastern, africans, brits, americans everyone, but i see no racism.

please justify you points next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    mate, Node.JS is not called Node.jQuery for a reason! Javascript is love... Javascript is life. jQuery was just a fad, old-school JavaScript is here to stay
    Nah, JavaScript is too limited. jQuery gives it the 'oomph' it needs!

But either way, C++ and Python are where it's at.

(Original post by oShahpo)
    Don't forget the misogyny, the bigotry, the hatred, the sectarianism, but yea, Islam has great values.
    Oh and don't forget the lack of freedom.

*Tiny edit, actually Islam is the least racist of all religions. It clearly says that everyone of any colour are equal.
    Actually Buddhism is. Unlike Islam, Buddhism explicitly states that all people are equal regardless of any differences between them. It also states that all organisms have the right to live and that we must respect all living creatures. Consequently no bigotry or hatred can exist in Buddhism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirty Dawah)
    Islamic society has much better morals than Western society,
    you are just confusing "stricter" with "better". And yet, these concept are quite different.

All ancient societies were much stricter than modern ones, mainly because most of the population was struggling at survival level (the elite was always allowed to do pretty much as it pleased). In those conditions, social control was pervasive.

Higher revenue levels, urban life, better contraception are at the root level of changing morals, especially with regard to sexual/family related issues

Religions however (especially those based on an alleged revelation) tend to adapt very, very slowly to changes in actual, practical life

Christianity has, more or less, adapted to structural changes in society but, In the case of Islam, the mis-adaptation is striking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)

Actually Buddhism is. Unlike Islam, Buddhism explicitly states that all people are equal regardless of any differences between them. It also states that all organisms have the right to live and that we must respect all living creatures. Consequently no bigotry or hatred can exist in Buddhism.
    I was referring to the Abrahamaic religions.

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to the Abrahamaic religions.
    Ah okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    It's curious isn't it? Many of those who espoused the causes of feminism and LGBT rights (things I am wholly in favour of btw) are the same ones who are trying to convince us that we must accept millions of people who hate feminism and would love to throw homosexuals into furnaces.
    Yes, what is more bizzare is the same people will defend homophobia and mysoginy if comes from the muslims. Yet staucly opposed when the "majority" do it.

When the cologne incident happened there was not a single feminists who were defending the poor woman but instead made apologetic comments for the purpotratrs. It was "their culture" afterall and we must have understandings for it.

It is a lesson for the SJWs: you cannot have a uthopian society and Islam at the same time. One must be eliminated in other to have the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    tbh its the same in all religions:
    - What benefits do we get from Christianity
    The list goes on mate
    I know many would dislike this but christian morality hevily influenced Western philosophy. Than Christanity was until recently unseparated from western culture. The Chuch itself contributed to science by founding universities through Europe, and the Bible is the fundationof literature for many european languages. Even Richard Dawkins said how important Christianity for the West.

Now this does not means that we should now become religious Christans but to appreciate that religion for the culture we have. And maybe we should stop pretending that Christianity and Islam are the same, since objectivly they are not.

ReputationRep:

*Tiny edit, actually Islam is the least racist of all religions. It clearly says that everyone of any colour are equal.
    That is not true. Islam for instance never condems slavery, and the Quran says it is ok. Christianity on other hand not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slaven)
    I know many would dislike this but christian morality hevily influenced Western philosophy. Than Christanity was until recently unseparated from western culture. The Chuch itself contributed to science by founding universities through Europe, and the Bible is the fundationof literature for many european languages. Even Richard Dawkins said how important Christianity for the West.

Now this does not means that we should now become religious Christans but to appreciate that religion for the culture we have. And maybe we should stop pretending that Christianity and Islam are the same, since objectivly they are not.
    booboo you cut out half my quote fam. and there are similarities between them both, both have the story of Noah, Moses, Jesus (different interpretations) both believe in nearly the same morals, i do both in GCSE RS and theres more similarities than you think. but the question i feel is trying to get a response of something along the lines of terrorism maybe maybe not, but this is pointless, not every single muslim you meet is a terrorist. i admit some actually are and it's quite sad by still, not everyon.

i also mentioned about 4 other religions, if you could answer Christianitys benefits so perfectly, so the same for judaism, hinduism, sikhism

ReputationRep:
    That is not true. Islam for instance never condems slavery, and the Quran says it is ok. Christianity on other hand not.
    so when white christians used blacks as slaves, that was fine.... ok mate.

and please show me a quote from the qur'an promoting slavery

also you gave no point as to why you think islam is racist, but i will tell you before you embarrass yourself, Hajj is a place of community where all muslims join, blacks, whites, indians, chinese, arabs, alll of them.

also the first prayer caller was black, i guess i need to go to specsavers cos i cant see any racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What do you think are the benefits of Islam to the West?
    Absolutely nothing. Much like all religions.

ReputationRep:
    None whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What do you think are the benefits of Islam to the West?
    It gives a very clear indication of how lucky we are to live in civilised countries

ReputationRep:
    I am not talking about slavery, I am talking about racism; the belief of superiority of one race over the other. I think only Islam pronounces that all people of all colour are equal as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    There is literally zero benefit.

Unless of course you are one of those lefties that like to be "culturally enriched"..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    It gives a very clear indication of how lucky we are to live in civilised countries
    :rofl::rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)

I can somewhat see where your coming from in terms of being productive but jQuery being a JavaScript library means anything you can do in jQuery, you can do in JS.

C++ and Python is a great combo , do you happen to use those for
    Machine learning / Data science?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.