Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Young voters who want to stay in the EU must vote, or we will be out! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    I would vote if there were votes at 16... How come scottish teens got to vote on independence but british teens can't vote on the eu? seems inconsistent to me.
    >wanting the future of the country to be decided by children

No thanks. Most 16 year olds are ill informed and easily susceptible to pro-EU propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There does seem to be a tendency for polls to underestimate status quo voters - perhaps they are harder to get responses from for some reason. That was definitely the case in Scotland, where despite loads of polls showing all kinds of narrowing by the Outers in the runup to the independence vote, the underlying truth was probably that opinion never wavered from 60:40 - remain:leave.
    I suspect (and hope) there's a quiet majority for IN.

I also don't think that many British voters, once they hit the booths, will really decide to align themselves with obvious idiots like Duncan Smith and Farage. They will have more sense.
    Don't forget George Galloway and the SWP!

However, it is still a worry and I think the biggest worry of all is that our age group, who care most about this, simply sit on our hands at one of the most crucial voting moments we will have. :eek4:
    The reality is, old people have a lot more time on their hands and are struggling to comprehend Globalization - and where the negatives of this originate from!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Students on here won't understand until they see the real world. They'll thank me then. Hence why this demographic is more likely to vote in and the 50+ is more likely to vote out.
    There is a very poignant aspect to what you've said here which a lot of young people miss. Overall EU membership is probably good for the British and wider European economy but I do not believe this extra wealth benefits the average Brit and whilst it's very easy to sit and laugh at how these right-wing little Englanders are afraid of competition (as true as that might be), unless your dad is some sort of wealthy member of the elite capitalist class, it means nothing to do, you're a Turkey getting excited for Christmas. It's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    There does seem to be a tendency for polls to underestimate status quo voters - perhaps they are harder to get responses from for some reason. That was definitely the case in Scotland, where despite loads of polls showing all kinds of narrowing by the Outers in the runup to the independence vote, the underlying truth was probably that opinion never wavered from 60:40 - remain:leave.

I also don't think that many British voters, once they hit the booths, will really decide to align themselves with obvious idiots like Duncan Smith and Farage. They will have more sense.

However, it is still a worry and I think the biggest worry of all is that our age group, who care most about this, simply sit on our hands at one of the most crucial voting moments we will have. :eek4:
    I agree. The apathy in young voters is horrible.

Spoilerd for not being entirely relevant to europe

Spoiler:
    Show
    Currently I am a bit older then most students on here, and I am looking at buying a house, starting a family with my wife etc.. - and it quickly becomes very apparent how absolutely :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ed this country is for young people, and how little those in charge care.

We live in a system designed for the benefit of older generations.. yet young people just dont really care. Sure some debate politics, but in terms of actual change.. many dont vote, and even more that do vote, don't vote primarily on issues around young people, but rather country wide issues.

A bad trend has started though, and soon I hope the younger generation start to wake up.

First it was an end to stable jobs-for life..
    Then reports that young people were not getting married until far later
    Then reports that now the average first time buyer is 30, and young people are frozen out of the market..
    Now finally reports that more and more young people don't feel able to have children due to the reasons listed above.

1 by 1 the cornerstones of life for our generation are being eroded, yet so few are kicking and screaming about it.

and those that are.. are happy chasing a red herring by blaming Europe for problems that are far far closer to home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    >wanting the future of the country to be decided by children

No thanks. Most 16 year olds are ill informed and easily susceptible to pro-EU propaganda.
    Although it's hard to see why 16 is old enough to become a soldier in the army but not apparently old enough to be trusted to vote.

Surely if someone is old enough to fight for the country, then they should be considered old enough to help decide about it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Those evil EU psychopaths brainwashing our children: with colouring in books! My god, the monsters!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...says-Ukip.html

In any case, this is as opposed to people who read The Express/ Mail....

ReputationRep:
    we are never leaving the EU the whole vote is just a con and waste of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirty Dawah)
    There is a very poignant aspect to what you've said here which a lot of young people miss. Overall EU membership is probably good for the British and wider European economy but I do not believe this extra wealth benefits the average Brit and whilst it's very easy to sit and laugh at how these right-wing little Englanders are afraid of competition (as true as that might be), unless your dad is some sort of wealthy member of the elite capitalist class, it means nothing to do, you're a Turkey getting excited for Christmas. It's stupid.

But, the right wingers want to leave the EU to make Britain more competitive: Cutting red tape/ regulations-e.g worker protections, environmental safeguards, etc

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if I should vote because I am not sufficiently informed and really don't know which would be best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    But, the right wingers want to leave the EU to make Britain more competitive: Cutting red tape/ regulations-e.g worker protections, environmental safeguards, etc
    I have to agree with this, actually.

I'm more than aware that Farage and Johnson are not the friends of the British people.

ReputationRep:
    Although it's hard to see why 16 is old enough to become a soldier in the army but not apparently old enough to be trusted to vote.

Surely if someone is old enough to fight for the country, then they should be considered old enough to help decide about it as well.
    Well a 16 year old wouldn't see combat for some years. Not only that the recruitment age is so low because it targets those foolish enough to join. I have great admiration for the armed forces but it does appeal to the Call of Duty playing demographic who are unaware of the harsh realities of war.

The EU vote is a totally different scenario.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think exit people are more excitable and passionate about leaving than others are about staying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I dunno if I should vote because I am not sufficiently informed and really don't know which would be best
    Just curious, what is it you don't feel you know enough about? Are there particular issues?

ReputationRep:
    Just curious, what is it you don't feel you know enough about? Are there particular issues?
    Well, everything, to be honest. I haven't researched it enough. From the little I have heard I don't feel a pull towards either side.

ReputationRep:
    Well, everything, to be honest. I haven't researched it enough. From the little I have heard I don't feel a pull towards either side.
    Maybe you feel indifferent? I know a lot of people feel like they just don't care, "it will be the same either way", etc. I'm not sure that's true. I think leaving the EU would make quite a lot of difference that would gradually become noticeable. For one thing, travel around the EU and the rest of the world would probably become more difficult. For another, we would notice a reduction in living standards after a while as tariffs bite on our industries and we lose capital investment that came here because we are in the EU.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Want to vote in but I'm not sure, plus it depends on the date of the referendum anyways

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of talk about how things affect the average person. If anyone thinks that the Tory right(who mostly want out) give a flying fu*ck about the average person they need their head examining.

Does anyone seriously think that the Tories will retain the laws protecting workers' rights that the EU currently legislates for in the event of an out vote?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Theres plenty of information abailable and time for you to make your mind up.

ReputationRep:
    Well a 16 year old wouldn't see combat for some years. Not only that the recruitment age is so low because it targets those foolish enough to join. I have great admiration for the armed forces but it does appeal to the Call of Duty playing demographic who are unaware of the harsh realities of war.

The EU vote is a totally different scenario.
    In my experience, those who join up at 16 usually join up to get away from the area/background where they're from due to poor job prospects and the hope of a better life in the future. I don't know anyone who did it because they wanted to try a real life version of some video game.
    I'd say it's much tougher to go through basic training at 16/17 as you don't have as much life experience as older recruits. I certainly couldn't have done it at that age. It was difficult enough at 19/20.
    But yeah they can't actually go to war until they're 18 unless it's deemed it's more dangerous to extract them from a combat zone than it is to keep them there if I remember correctly.

But back on topic:
    I've just registered to vote via post as my shift patterns aren't too friendly if I wanted to visit a polling station.
    I haven't made up my mine 100% but I'm pretty certain I'll be voting out. After speaking to people I know and work with it, it certainly appears we'd be more secure because of it. I'm not against the economic side of the EU but freedom of movement to me is too unrestricted. If the PM had got concessions on that then I'd be more tempted to vote in.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting polling released today. Although 53% of 18-34 age group want to stay in the EU, only half of us are prepared to vote. :sad:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...s-brexit-leave

This means in practise that the referendum result will be to leave the EU, unless we go out and vote.

It's in our hands!

Voting will be really easy. Take the card to the poll, or register for a postal. The latter takes 10 minutes. Make sure you are on the register as well.

Can I register to vote?
    http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/registe...gister-to-vote

Register to vote. (takes 5 minutes)
    https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
    This really comes across like you're being paid to post here.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.