The Student Room Group

German orFrench?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone is always put off by the long words in german. That's not the difficult part-- Most of these long words are short words put together. German is a very logical language. I did it for GCSE and currently doing it for A-Level and it is by far much easier than French. However, i did not do French for GCSE so i cannot say anything from experience but i would definitely recommend studying German (well at least to GCSE level that is). The grammar aspects of german are quite difficult and especially when you get to A-Level, you need to learn the intricate details of all the different parts of grammar and verbs. Other than that, learning vocabulary and word order is not too bad at all (I cannot say its easy because people learn in different ways and rates but one should at least give german a shot and not be threatened by the long words and its stereotypical "harsh" accent and the two world wars).

And yes, i am probably being bias but for those who think french is easier, that is not always the case.
Reply 21
Grammatically German is more challenging but in terms of listening it is slightly easier because of the many cognates to English that it has! I do both French and German (AS) at the moment! If you're willing to put the work in for German grammar defiantly go for it because so few people choose German especially over French or Spanish for example! Hope this helped?? 👍🏼☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Inexorably
-

It's true that German is a germanic language

:unimpressed:
I did write a long rant on how german is a lot easier than french in many different ways but TSR had technical difficulties and i cannot be asked to type it out all again but german is much more logical (despite the grammar complexities) and thus, easier to learn, especially for GCSE.

But then again it is all down to personal preference but to those who criticise german, back off. XD
Original post by tilly5798
I did write a long rant on how german is a lot easier than french in many different ways but TSR had technical difficulties and i cannot be asked to type it out all again but german is much more logical (despite the grammar complexities) and thus, easier to learn, especially for GCSE.

But then again it is all down to personal preference but to those who criticise german, back off. XD

Okay, they did send my rant message. Apologies!
I am currently doing both for GCSEs, you can ask me any questions you have about either, if you want to. I personally enjoy German more and find it easier than French but I know a lot of my friends think the opposite. Just remember to choose a subject for the subject itself and not for something else like whether your friends are doing it or the teacher because you might not get that teacher and you are going to be stuck doing it for the next 2 years- that goes for any subject.
I'm doing French and German at the moment but I think I would pick German above French. Yes, there are language rules that you'll have to learn but as it's a GCSE they don't expect you to know everything, and the rules make it a more logical thing to study. Pronunciation is a bit easier than French and I find the vocabulary easier to remember (not sure why - perhaps it's because English and German are both West Germanic languages?) German is fun as well and there's loads of culture - not to mention the food :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending