Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M382 - Motion on Making Oxford a UNESCO World Heritage Site Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The motion isn't long enough and on the same basis we should be putting a great many cities arbitrarily on the list.
    In what way is City of Oxford not comparable to the Cities of Bath and Edinburgh which are both on the list already?

Which other city has all the things I've mentioned in the motion? To have so many historic firsts and influential British people associated with it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    In what way is City of Oxford not comparable to the Cities of Bath and Edinburgh which are both on the list already?

Which other city has all the things I've mentioned in the motion? To have so many historic firsts and influential British people associated with it?
    Should Bath or Edinburgh be on the list? Just because something is already the case in some instances does not make it correct.

ReputationRep:
    Little Toy Gun so the Westgate centre is going to become part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site?...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Should Bath or Edinburgh be on the list? Just because something is already the case in some instances does not make it correct.
    You have no arguments whatsoever and so you're just throwing out random opinions. There is a set of criteria for the inclusion and all of these, on top of Oxford City, have satisfied the requirement.

Or at the very least if you disagree, you should explain how Oxford City, Bath City, and Edinburgh City don't satisfy any of the criterion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Little Toy Gun so the Westgate centre is going to become part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site?...
    Yes. In the same way the McDonald's in the City of Bath is a part of it or the rubbish dropped to the ground in Royal Botanical Gardens or the copy of ADELE's 25 brought in by a Durham student into Durham Castle is.

But clearly in the description there would be no mention of Westgate and no-one will attempt to fight against modification of the shopping centre.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. In the same way the McDonald's in the City of Bath is a part of it or the rubbish dropped to the ground in Royal Botanical Gardens or the copy of ADELE's 25 brought in by a Durham student into Durham Castle is.

But clearly in the description there would be no mention of Westgate and no-one will attempt to fight against modification of the shopping centre.
    The motion seems centred around the university.

Just put forward the uni as being a world heritage site. Then I'll be an aye. Most of Oxford is just as much as a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: hole as any other place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    The motion seems centred around the university.

Just put forward the uni as being a world heritage site. Then I'll be an aye. Most of Oxford is just as much as a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: hole as any other place.
    Most of what City of Oxford is worth is due to the University, but historical events may not be able to be tied to only the University but also the place as a whole.

An organization also cannot be a World Heritage Site. It's quite clear what would be cherished when it's made a World Heritage Site so what exactly is your problem with making it the City of Oxford? How about the Ancient Building Complex of the City of Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I admire the amount of work you have put into this, but I simply don't support this
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    10/10 for effort
    0/10 for my support

ReputationRep:
    An aye from me. Separately we should also consider UNESCOs Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Traditions of History which has nothing from these islands as far as I am aware.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye. I've been to Oxford and it is a lovely city. However, I think Cambridge should also be recognised as that is equally beautiful and in my opinion, even better. It has wonderful architecture and loads of green spaces.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks for the support!

LUV u 2 xx

In short:

The City of Oxford is historically and culturally significant - oldest university in the Anglosphere, oldest public museum/university museum/purpose-built museum, oldest library reading room, oldest library, oldest botanical garden in the British Isles, oldest music room. Countless important and influential people in all fields of the western world, including many current country leaders, from the UK to Myanmar. It is in itself a milestone or milestones for many cultural traditions that's dead or alive, and has itself experienced changes due to different societal movements. The University itself IMO is qualified to be a site, but the city is so much more than just that.

It's also a site of numerous parliaments, at the heart of many important wars (the Anarchy, Civil War, War of the Barons', WWII - hell, Hitler wanted Oxford to be his capital!), and is a site with deep anglican religious significance.

Architecturally speaking, it is not only beautiful, but also contains many unique and representative examples of historical buildings from different periods of different styles.

There's literally no downside to this - better tourism draw for the country, better reputation for the country. Oxford is already practically entirely listed nationally and so no additional effort would need to be made to conserve it.
    Hahaha, now, why couldn't that have been put in as a Motion I'll probably Aye it as I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    10/10 for effort
    0/10 for my support
    Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Nay
    I don't feel Oxford meets the criteria to be declared a World Heritage Site.

ReputationRep:
    Another brainless example of MHoC members not being able to think through the consequences of what they propose. becoming a World Heritage Site is not just being put on a presitgious list; it involves important consequences.

Just how do you think Oxford will be able to function as a modern city if it is unable to adapt as a result of this listing? Houses, roads, infrastructure will all be stuck in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Nay, I admire the amount of work you have put into this, but I simply don't support this
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    10/10 for effort
    0/10 for my support
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I don't feel Oxford meets the criteria to be declared a World Heritage Site.
    Why not?

(Original post by Good bloke)
    Another brainless example of MHoC members not being able to think through the consequences of what they propose. becoming a World Heritage Site is not just being put on a presitgious list; it involves important consequences.

Just how do you think Oxford will be able to function as a modern city if it is unable to adapt as a result of this listing? Houses, roads, infrastructure will all be stuck in time.
    This is simply untrue - legal obligation from the owners is less than that for a nationally listed building. And Oxford already is almost entirely listed.

Another example of someone being totally ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

A good motion well supported. Thank you LTG for putting such effort into this motion.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The City of Oxford being a UNESCO World Heritage Site may open the door to the City of Cambridge being made a UNESCO World Heritage Site, even though the cathedral is in Ely.

The City of Oxford is more significant and impressive than many of the sites currently on the actual list, let alone those on the tentative lists. Mexico got their small, modern, and unimpressive university library listed because it's got murals on it for heaven's sake.
    To be fair it is. An awful lot more deserving than Pontcysyllte Aqueduct as well (which is high and scary, fair play to it, but is it really deserving of World Heritage Site status?).

I still will not be able to bring myself to voting for Oxford though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I still will not be able to bring myself to voting for Oxford though.
    Dreadful place, especially the university.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Aye. I've been to Oxford and it is a lovely city. However, I think Cambridge should also be recognised as that is equally beautiful and in my opinion, even better. It has wonderful architecture and loads of green spaces.
    Thank you.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.