Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B963 - Sex Discrimination Prevention Bill 2016 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    So you have admitted that I am right.
    I know it prevents discrimination against in general but section 7 allows for positive discrimination. It lets parties create a shortlist which is all but 1 BME LGBTIQ+ candidates. I wasn't saying that it allows parties to discriminate against the disabled but for them...
    You are wrong, as I have said, there is no adverse impact by removing section 104 from the Act because positive discrimination for one individual is negative discrimination for the person being discriminated against; this Act removes discrimination from politics. Section 104 does not make an allowance for political parties to use wide-spread discrimination on other grounds other than sex.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You are wrong, as I have said, there is no adverse impact by removing section 7 from the Act because positive discrimination for one individual is negative discrimination for the person being discriminated against; this Act removes discrimination from politics. Section 7 does not make an allowance for political parties to use wide-spread discrimination on other grounds other than sex.
    Excuse me whilst I laugh :lol:
    104Selection of candidates
    (1)This section applies to an association which is a registered political party.

(2)A person does not contravene this Part only by acting in accordance with selection arrangements.

(3)Selection arrangements are arrangements—
    (a)which the party makes for regulating the selection of its candidates in a relevant election,
    (b)the purpose of which is to reduce inequality in the party's representation in the body concerned, and
    (c)which, subject to subsection (7), are a proportionate means of achieving that purpose.

(4)The reference in subsection (3)(b) to inequality in a party's representation in a body is a reference to inequality between—
    (a)the number of the party's candidates elected to be members of the body who share a protected characteristic, and
    (b)the number of the party's candidates so elected who do not share that characteristic.

(5)For the purposes of subsection (4), persons share the protected characteristic of disability if they are disabled persons (and section 6(3)(b) is accordingly to be ignored).

(6)Selection arrangements do not include short-listing only such persons as have a particular protected characteristic.

(7)But subsection (6) does not apply to the protected characteristic of sex; and subsection (3)(c) does not apply to short-listing in reliance on this subsection.

(8)The following elections are relevant elections—
    (a)Parliamentary Elections;
    (b)elections to the European Parliament;
    (c)elections to the Scottish Parliament;
    (d)elections to the National Assembly for Wales;
    (e)local government elections within the meaning of section 191, 203 or 204 of the Representation of the People Act 1983 (excluding elections for the Mayor of London).
    This section (section 104 not 7!) allows political parties to balance the level of representation from all protected groups. Not just in realationship to gender.

Also, personally I see positive discrimination in politics as a good thing. When most voters are voting for the party and not the person if parties choose to make their candidates more reflective of modern society that should only be encoraged.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    An aye from me. If we abolished closed party lists and had multi-member constituencies, this would I think increase the proportion of women and MPs without need for legal intervention.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A firm aye. Someone should not be chosen based on their sex but rather on their skills. I get quite irritated when people say 'but you must have an equal balance'. No you do not - choose the person who would do the job best.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    If "positive" discrimination were implemented on say TSR MHoC, I don't see why people would not just change their gender to the opposite gender (without actually getting a sex change). If anyone dares criticise those who do this, they could just shout discrimination and accuse them of being transphobic and bigoted or something.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. People should be chosen based on their suitability for the job, not their gender.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    If "positive" discrimination were implemented on say TSR MHoC, I don't see why people would not just change their gender to the opposite gender (without actually getting a sex change). If anyone dares criticise those who do this, they could just shout discrimination and accuse them of being transphobic and bigoted or something.
    The simple solution to discrimination due to being a woman:

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    That section doesn't just apply to sex though. It allows parties to take affirmative action based on race, religion, disability, sexual orientation...

If you have an issue with just gender then an amendment is better.
    If you have an issue with all affirmative action then the title of this bill is miss-leading as you are doing more then just dealing with gender.

I suggest you both look at the above what they are doing is also preventing parties from putting more disabled people, people from ethnic minorities or people from disadvantaged backgrounds on short lists then there would otherwise be as well as ending single gender short lists.
    Put it this way; if you were getting a job, would you want to be the best candidate for the job, or would you want to be given the job because you grew up in a bad area? I know I'd want the former.

Aye
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Put it this way; if you were getting a job, would you want to be the best candidate for the job, or would you want to be given the job because you grew up in a bad area? I know I'd want the former.
    But should we not be getting disadvantaged people into politics more?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    But should we not be getting disadvantaged people into politics more?
    How do you mean? Anyone can go into politics as far as I'm aware
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    How do you mean? Anyone can go into politics as far as I'm aware
    Yes, but I put it to you that old, rich men make up teh majority of politicians, so if a political party makes moves to encourage more disabled, ethnic minority, ect. People to stand to be elected surely that is only good?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes, but I put it to you that old, rich men make up teh majority of politicians, so if a political party makes moves to encourage more disabled, ethnic minority, ect. People to stand to be elected surely that is only good?
    Why is that inherently good but not doing the same for other jobs?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Maybe, it could just be that those people don't want to stand
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Why is that inherently good but not doing the same for other jobs?
    Id say it was.
    Maybe, it could just be that those people don't want to stand
    or maybe it's because they do but they see the eton boys club and get put off. So by increasing the number of minorities you increase the number of minorities who want to stand.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Id say it was.
    Sorry, I speak English, not Aph.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Id say it was.
    or maybe it's because they do but they see the eton boys club and get put off. So by increasing the number of minorities you increase the number of minorities who want to stand.
    Maybe

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.