Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know whether to take business or media studies for GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I can only comment based on my experience of doing half of a Media Studies GCSE course 10 years ago, I bailed out because IMO it was a load of sh*it.
    loooool how was it that bad?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasfaz)
    loooool how was it that bad?!
    It just seemed like you could learn everything they were teaching by reading a book one Sunday afternoon, not spend a year of your life doing it.

Who knows, a lot can change in 10 years.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I cant see either of them being very hard, business looks slightly less soft. It wont make a difference unless you need to do one for A level. i'd probably take more Maths or Science or both History and Geography, but you didn't ask that....

If you did Economics that would be more useful.

Have you talked to your teachers and looked at the syllabus? that would give you more insight about the course
    .See which of these interest you
    Business
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zpsvr82
    Media
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/ztnygk7
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It just seemed like you could learn everything they were teaching by reading a book one Sunday afternoon, not spend a year of your life doing it.

All the better to get the top grade, then.

ReputationRep:

omg haha xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I cant see either of them being very hard, business looks slightly less soft. It wont make a difference unless you need to do one for A level. i'd probably take more Maths or Science or both History and Geography, but you didn't ask that....

If you did Economics that would be more useful.

Have you talked to your teachers and looked at the syllabus? that would give you more insight about the course
    .See which of these interest you
    Business
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zpsvr82
    Media
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/ztnygk7
    aha
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm already on both of them websites xD

ReputationRep:
    I have taken business studies, I was in the same two minds as you, however business studies helps more than on area of occupation, and sets up you for your life ahead, and makes you aware of a good business etc.. which im sure yu alrady are aware of. but my view is media takes you into very few industries, however the industries media takes you to also falls under what business can bring you toso business studies shows you media studies and more in the world if that makes sense? message me for more help in deciding if you need it

ReputationRep:
    All the better to get the top grade, then.
    Fair point. I'd be amazed it there's an easier GCSE out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisexox)
    I have taken business studies, I was in the same two minds as you, however business studies helps more than on area of occupation, and sets up you for your life ahead, and makes you aware of a good business etc.. which im sure yu alrady are aware of. but my view is media takes you into very few industries, however the industries media takes you to also falls under what business can bring you toso business studies shows you media studies and more in the world if that makes sense? message me for more help in deciding if you need it
    aha, I get what you mean, Thank youuuuu & will do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Geogrpahy(g/history)
    French (f/german)
    1. Child Development
    2.b/m
    Reserve: b/m
    If you possibly can do business and media instead of child development, I've taken that course and it seems rather useless, only worth it if you plan to have a baby within a few weeks of takin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nevemarie15)
    If you possibly can do business and media instead of child development, I've taken that course and it seems rather useless, only worth it if you plan to have a baby within a few weeks of takin
    But Child development is the only subject which I really want to take...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Fair point. I'd be amazed it there's an easier GCSE out there.
    Horses for courses, what one person finds interesting and has an aptitude for someone else can find a mare. I'd do the one that interests me because not a lot rides on it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    But Child development is the only subject which I really want to take...
    Will you want to go into child care? Will you want to go to Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Will you want to go into child care? Will you want to go to Uni?
    I was thinking of becoming a midwife.

ReputationRep:
    I also want to be a midwife (or a doctor if I get the grades and it's looking like I will thank god) but I found that as the course content was quite easy it was a lot of time spent going over the same things - and the coursework can be hard at times in a massive contrast to that. By all means do it if you think you will enjoy it, but I thought that and it turned out completely different
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Getting somewhere now.

Seems to be science, especially Biology ofc

The two additional subjects are Child Development and Health and Social Care.

Theres a thread here which discussed it. Post#6 is informative.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1376981

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nevemarie15)
    I also want to be a midwife (or a doctor if I get the grades and it's looking like I will thank god) but I found that as the course content was quite easy it was a lot of time spent going over the same things - and the coursework can be hard at times in a massive contrast to that. By all means do it if you think you will enjoy it, but I thought that and it turned out completely different
    aww aha

ReputationRep:
    Getting somewhere now.

Seems to be science, especially Biology ofc

The two additional subjects are Child Development and Health and Social Care.

Theres a thread here which discussed it. Post#6 is informative.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1376981

ikr xD
    Thank you that helpeddddd!!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    ikr xD
    Thank you that helpeddddd!!
    Once i know what you want then we can give better information. Try posting on the medicine thread to chat to any nursing students. If thats your career then neither of those GCSE's is going to make much difference.

Once i know what you want then we can give better information. Try posting on the medicine thread to chat to any nursing students. If thats your career then neither of those GCSE's is going to make much difference.
    what did u take for gcse? are u in college?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.