Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derpz)
    Yep, got it now. Thanks!

My teacher is terrible, so I'm mostly just having to self teach myself so sorry about all these questions, I'll be asking a lot of stuff hahaha
    Great! If you want to draw any compounds out on paper using different formulae then I don't mind checking it's correct for your notes!

And it's okay! It helps me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.thompson22)
    Great! If you want to draw any compounds out on paper using different formulae then I don't mind checking it's correct for your notes!

And it's okay! It helps me too
    Just desperately trying to revise now since haha

Post some exam style questions if you have any, and then we can check answers and working? Or if you've had some past questions which were kind of difficult

ReputationRep:
    Can someone list all the practicals we could be asked to write a method for?

ReputationRep:
    Hookers and Cocaine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    Hookers and Cocaine
    If only haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derpz)
    Can someone list all the practicals we could be asked to write a method for?
    The AQA specification has all the required core practicals. They will be placing an emphasis on these practicals to ensure the teachers are actually teaching it! It'll be mostly the 'how science works' questions.

ReputationRep:
    The AQA specification has all the required core practicals. They will be placing an emphasis on these practicals to ensure the teachers are actually teaching it! It'll be mostly the 'how science works' questions.
    So these would be:

TItration
    Calirometry
    Ion identification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derpz)
    Yep, got it now. Thanks!

My teacher is terrible, so I'm mostly just having to self teach myself so sorry about all these questions, I'll be asking a lot of stuff hahaha
    If you are asked "what does structural formular show?" Or any other type then write down the definitions I have provided for you previously, it's alright understanding but if asked you have to say what they show in terms of the molecules and bonds.
    Molecular formular shows the total number of each atom in a compound.(I forgot that one) 😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    If you are asked "what does structural formular show?" Or any other type then write down the definitions I have provided for you previously, it's alright understanding but if asked you have to say what they show in terms of the molecules and bonds.
    Molecular formular shows the total number of each atom in a compound.(I forgot that one) 😁
    Thanks!

Im getting worried now because we still havent covered all the content, according to the spec we still have quite a bit to do:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derpz)
    Thanks!

Im getting worried now because we still havent covered all the content, according to the spec we still have quite a bit to do:/
    What topics do you still have to cover?

ReputationRep:
    What topics do you still have to cover?
    Electrophilic addition, neuclophilic subtraction, chlorination, alcohols and god knows how many other ones...:/

Have you already finished all the content?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derpz)
    Electrophilic addition, neuclophilic subtraction, chlorination, alcohols and god knows how many other ones...:/

Have you already finished all the content?
    From that list, I can teach you Electrophillic addition, nucleophillic substitution and alcohols. And no, for physical chemistry we've still got to do a couple of more lessons on Equlibria, we need to do Redox, Reduction & Oxidation and I've got two whole modules of inorganic chemistry to do still

ReputationRep:
    From that list, I can teach you Electrophillic addition, nucleophillic substitution and alcohols. And no, for physical chemistry we've still got to do a couple of more lessons on Equlibria, we need to do Redox, Reduction & Oxidation and I've got two whole modules of inorganic chemistry to do still
    Phew, I though I was just behind and people had started revision already.

I've completed Equilibria and Redox so I could help with that as well, and any help would be good. That way, it'll be easier when we're learning it in lesson Which inorganic topics do you still have to do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could you please explain electrophilic addition and nucleophilic substitution. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derpz)
    Phew, I though I was just behind and people had started revision already.

I've completed Equilibria and Redox so I could help with that as well, and any help would be good. That way, it'll be easier when we're learning it in lesson Which inorganic topics do you still have to do?
    I've got Group 2, the alkaline earth metals & Group 7, the halogens still to cover with all modules in those topics. I completely finished organics though which is great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    Hi, could you please explain electrophilic addition and nucleophilic substitution. Thanks!
    I'll start with Nucleophillic Substitution.

A nucleophillic is a species that has a lone pair of electrons that it donates to an electron-deficient carbon atom to form a covalent bond.

All nucleophilles have a lone pair of electrons situated on an electronegative atom, they are either a negatively charged ion or have a delta negative region. Examples include -HO, NH3 and -CN.

They substitute the halogen atom in a haloallane. The halogen that leaves the haloallane is called the Leaving Group.

I'll draw out the mechanisms for you.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  451.4 KBHere, I've used ethane with varying halogen atoms and varying nucleophiles including hydroxide, ammonia & cyanide. With ammonia there's a couple of more steps but it's easy once you know them.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  451.4 KBHere, I've used ethane with varying halogen atoms and varying nucleophiles including hydroxide, ammonia & cyanide. With ammonia there's a couple of more steps but it's easy once you know them.
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!
    No worries! Do you want notes on addition?

ReputationRep:
    No worries! Do you want notes on addition?
    Oh yes please. Thanks again

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.