Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone excited about upcoming "No Man's Sky"? uk March 24th Release Date watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Sean has said that the game will be continually supported with free updates. Base building and freighters are already in the works, and i'm sure many other features will be added over time. It's an entire universe with endless possibilities in that respect.
    Then they should have released it along with the base game. When people pay 40 pounds for a game, they better damn well expect a full game, not some shoddy early access. Right now, it just isn't worth the full price, unless you have some obsessive attraction to looking at the same rocks for hours on end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    Then they should have released it along with the base game. When people pay 40 pounds for a game, they better damn well expect a full game, not some shoddy early access. Right now, it just isn't worth the full price, unless you have some obsessive attraction to looking at the same rocks for hours on end.
    I don't think they can play the indie dev card either since they got support from Sony. Sean Murray hasn't been completely honest with people, when it came to the center of galaxy/universe (not sure) and player interaction. £40 for a game that's a million miles wide and not even a millimeter deep, they played a number on a lot of people and I would go as far as saying that Sony knew about the lack of longevity this game has.

ReputationRep:
    How is 'overhyped' a criticism of the game? If you hyped it to something it's not, that's your fault.

It's an indie game for people who plays games like X, Darkstar One, Rebel Galaxy. If you've never heard of these games, this probably isn't for you.

If you thought it was some 'GTA in a realistically-sized galaxy' AAA title, that is ultimately your error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    How is 'overhyped' a criticism of the game? If you hyped it to something it's not, that's your fault.

It's an indie game for people who plays games like X, Darkstar One, Rebel Galaxy. If you've never heard of these games, this probably isn't for you.

If you thought it was some 'GTA in a realistically-sized galaxy' AAA title, that is ultimately your error.
    If you're paying the same price as AAA titles as you are for this game, you expect to be getting a AAA experience, otherwise why are we paying £40 for a title that as of now is delivering so little?

ReputationRep:
    So it's not your type of game, we get it...
    I'm quite content with what I've gotten for my £40, and I'm excited to see how the game develops in the future.*

The game as it stands is clearly Sean Murray's vision, the game he wanted to create. If he'd wanted base building in the game on release it would've been there. But he's suggested that he's open to adding the features that players are calling for over time, once they've experienced the game as he wanted them to. I'm cool with that.

"Looking at the same rocks for hours on end" - I for one find it quite exciting to see what each planet I visit has to offer, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of variation. Have you played the game out of interest?**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonzest_)
    If you're paying the same price as AAA titles as you are for this game, you expect to be getting a AAA experience, otherwise why are we paying £40 for a title that as of now is delivering so little?
    So it's their fault that you decided it was worth £40? Are you being serious? How old are you? :/

ReputationRep:
    So it's their fault that you decided it was worth £40? Are you being serious? How old are you? :/
    You think £40 for a game that has quite literally taken a step back from other games in the genre is worth it? Are you being serious? How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    You think £40 for a game that has quite literally taken a step back from other games in the genre is worth it? Are you being serious? How old are you?
    It's been an evolution of the genre, so it's not surprising space games fans generally speaking are really enjoying it so far.

But the question remains unanswered: so it's their fault that you decided it was worth £40? Are you being serious? How old are you? :/

I am legitimately asking these questions, your mimicry suggests I'm hitting true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    So it's not your type of game, we get it...
    I'm quite content with what I've gotten for my £40, and I'm excited to see how the game develops in the future.*

The game as it stands is clearly Sean Murray's vision, the game he wanted to create. If he'd wanted base building in the game on release it would've been there. But he's suggested that he's open to adding the features that players are calling for over time, once they've experienced the game as he wanted them to. I'm cool with that.

"Looking at the same rocks for hours on end" - I for one find it quite exciting to see what each planet I visit has to offer, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of variation. Have you played the game out of interest?**
    If your idea of a fun game is looking at the same, slightly varied, rocks and rocks on end and mining constantly, then by all means have fun. Who I am I to comment or criticize. I just don't think it's worth it at all. 10 pounds would have been a more appropriate price for this quality of game. The quintilllions of planets sounds nice as a catchphrase, but truthfully they are more or less the same patterns just arranged differently. After the first few worlds, the wonder wears off fast, at least for me.

My problem is that Sean and his stooges were trying to sell the game as a 'do whatever you want in a whole galaxy' where in reality it's a pretty shoddy and barebones survival game. If they had been honest from the beginning and told us that, yes, it is a mining survival game, then I would have been fine with it.

They were intentionally vague and cryptic throughout the development process, implying (and often directly saying) as though there was plenty of stuff to actually do in the game that they didn't want to spoil, but in reality there really isn't much to spoil.

ReputationRep:
    It's been an evolution of the genre, so it's not surprising space games fans generally speaking are really enjoying it so far.
    Hahaha what?

The game literally dumbs down flying to the point where its just a faster version of walking. It's literally a Quick Time Action at best.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha what?

The game literally dumbs down flying to the point where its just a faster version of walking. It's literally a Quick Time Action at best.
    It 'literally' flies pretty much like other space games, with no QTEs.

And flying pretty much is a faster version of walking.

ReputationRep:

But the question remains unanswered: so it's their fault that you decided it was worth £40? Are you being serious? How old are you? :/

I am legitimately asking these questions, your mimicry suggests I'm hitting true.
    I never said it was their fault for pricing the game at such a price, but when games for the same or less price have more content at launch than this then something isn't right. I apologise for the mimicry, but my age has nothing to do with anything

I'm pretty sure that £40 is an investment people want to make knowing that the product that they receive is one that is worth of their money. A lot of people don't have that money to splash out every single game that comes out. but when the developers of No Man's sky have to cover up the multiplayer symbol with a sticker on the game box, they aren't being completely honest.

Elite Dangerous for example, released for the exact same price as this and has both better gameplay, graphics and controls. while on a smaller scale, the small tidbits of detail increase the quality of the game.

I leave you with this video of a Capital ship warping in Elite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwtZrtmOCU

ReputationRep:
    you're currently celebrating being conned lol

the game is genuinely incomplete and they've put a price tag on it that is unjustifiable to most people with an iota of common sense, something you can only realise when you've already spent your money on the game too as the advertisement was so shoddy and mystic that it pretty much fooled everyone in to thinking that the game surely must have something else to it (something which the devs didnt correct one bit).

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was their fault for pricing the game at such a price
    I never said that you said it was their fault for pricing the game at such a price, I asked if you were being serious that it wa their fault that you decided it was worth £40. I also enquired about your age which I presume remained unanswered in the rest of the post.

(Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    you're currently celebrating being conned lol

the game is genuinely incomplete and they've put a price tag on it that is unjustifiable to most people with an iota of common sense, something you can only realise when you've already spent your money on the game too as the advertisement was so shoddy and mystic that it pretty much fooled everyone in to thinking that the game surely must have something else to it (something which the devs didnt correct one bit).
    I didn't follow any of the adverts or previews, I never do. I've got what I expected, if not more. I didn't even pay for it myself as it was my birthday, so even if we're pretending £40 is a huge amount to be psychotic over, I didn't pay anything for it.

I'm just enjoying the game, like it seems most people. It's weirder to push an agenda that it's all a conspiracy or denial. Don't know why you're that bothered about it.

What is incomplete about the game? I see everything that's to be expected is there, nothing seems wonky.

ReputationRep:
    . but when the developers of No Man's sky have to cover up the multiplayer symbol with a sticker on the game box,
    Funny thing. Remember how Sean said that 2 players were unlikely ever to meet? Literally a day after release, 2 streamers managed to meet up in the same spot, and surprise, surprise they couldn't see each other.

ReputationRep:
    I found a planet where the plants are alive, just hopping about, I even befriended one. :lol:

I'll name the planet PvZ.

EDIT: Oh geez now there are giant strawberries. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Jackal)
    Brief Intro:

No Man's Sky was mad by the creators of Joe Danger, a small group of 12 people. The average game has hundreds of programmers working on it for an area only a few km squared. The 12 people in "Hello Games" have made an entire universe, with around 1.8 x 10(to the 18) stars. Hello Games have used a procedural generator to create the vast quantities of fauna and flora within No Man's Sky, but only 10% of planets having any life and 10% of inhabited planets with abundant life forms. Most of the planets will be uninhabited. There is no aim to this game which, for me, makes up for the lack of a campaign. The one absolute main goal seems to be to reach the centre of the universe, where Sean Murray (Co-founder of the game) has hinted that new things may be revealed/unlocked/gained.

Sorry for the length but I feel that this is as short an intro I can do without diminishing this game's apparent splendour and magnificence. Add if you want to, can't wait for No Man's Sky to be released
    YESSS! I cannot wait! It's going to be amazi... oh......

ReputationRep:
    Funny thing. Remember how Sean said that 2 players were unlikely ever to meet? Literally a day after release, 2 streamers managed to meet up in the same spot, and surprise, surprise they couldn't see each other.
    The absolute gall of that man; the sheer spineless gall. The game quite obviously doesn't even have character models for playable characters! Of course you can't see each other. What a liar.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a bit like Spore haha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjj90)
    The absolute gall of that man; the sheer spineless gall. The game quite obviously doesn't even have character models for playable characters! Of course you can't see each other. What a liar.
    Sean said right here that the only way to see ourselves was for someone else to see them. Oops. Those poor, homeless, cash-strapped developers don't even have the time to make a basic playermodel.

Either way, both of them were trying to manipulate the environment in the same spot, so surely even without player models, one should be able to see the changes right? Or what about the ships. Actually, the interesting thing was, one person had it on night time, the other had the planet on daytime, despite the fact they were in the same spot at the same time.

And he said here that "there is the ability to communicate and cooperate with other players".

I just love incredibly vague and conflicting statements from the developers. It makes purchasing the game more like russian roulette than I would normally expect.

Besides that, the fact they had to hide the multiplayer logo with a sticker for the EU release just takes the cake for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.