Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But if you are in a bus for instance that is considered as public even thought the bus is private property. And in a shop when it's open all members of the public can go in whenever they want?
    A bus isn't considered as public under this Bill, or indeed most of the law. The exception is public obscenity/indecency legislation, but that uses a dramatically different definition of 'public'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye ! A fantastic bill that deals with extremism with a heavy hand but issues firm and fair Punishments for people preaching religion in a public place
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nay. We live in a free, democratic country. Just because we don't like what an Islamic hate preacher is saying doesn't mean they don't have a right to say it, unless of course it directly incites violence.
    Agreed.

Even if I was crazy enough to support the idea behind this bill, the change would be something that would have to be phased in over time for it to work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    A bus isn't considered as public under this Bill, or indeed most of the law. The exception is public obscenity/indecency legislation, but that uses a dramatically different definition of 'public'.
    Oh... That's suprising. I mean for one I would have said that a public space should be anywhere where the general public can easily access or see. So front gardens for example. Anywhere you can take pictures of people without needing permission should be considered public.

Nay!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nay. We live in a free, democratic country. Just because we don't like what an Islamic hate preacher is saying doesn't mean they don't have a right to say it, unless of course it directly incites violence.
    Hear, hear.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a secularisation bill, which would involve a comprehensive separation of church and state like France. This is more like an act to monitor and prevent religious extremism, so the title is a bit of a misnomer.

To that end, this bill isn't exactly effective. Stopping funding of mosques from gulf states is just as important as stopping funding of terror organisations, and merely making accounts known is insufficient. Also, no mention of so-called Sharia courts. To focus on pamphlets being handed out rather than these glaring issues means the bill misses the mark somewhat.

Given this inefficacy, the restrictions on freedom of religion do not appear to be justified.

Though I'm not exactly fond of Islam and am favourable to a more secular society, this bill is not the correct approach.

Nay
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Lol, none of the feedback we gave you was taken into consideration. Good luck trying to pass this.

Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    My God, fascism is alive and well...

ReputationRep:
    Aye! An excellent bill written by our new MP.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Well I guess we will all have it in our manifestos that UKIP hate religion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Which is inherently bad, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I would have expected UKIP to want us all to be Anglicans. Did they not vote against the disestablishment of the C of E?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is inherently bad, why?
    Why is wanting to save a bird bad?
    And it's not but it will cause public outrage...
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I would have expected UKIP to want us all to be Anglicans. Did they not vote against the disestablishment of the C of E?
    They did indeed. I can't explain it.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was a horse....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nay in other words
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Imperion)
    I wish I was a horse....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nay in other words
    You really do not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel that this is focusing mainly on one religion in particular...

ReputationRep:
    For instance, Muslims are known to need to pray at specific times, even if that requires them to say a prayer of some sort in public. Trying to ban prayer in public will be hitting Muslims hardest.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ermmmm, long hard think... and... Nay!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.