Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite book quote watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    That was an awful joke honey

I see you're improved on this rhyming game, I was really starting to find it lame. But you still got nothing on this mighty brain, plus you gotta rhyme in binary numbers babe
    Well, I can try!

Indeed I have done, but it's just a bit of fun! Yes, you're the superior one; with rhymes I'm just dumb. Binary goes too far for some, I thought you would've known that hun

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Words build bridges into unexplored regions."
    -Adolf Hitler

"He who stops being better stops being good."
    -Oliver Cromwell

"It takes less courage to criticize the decisions of others than to stand by your own."
    -Attila the Hun

"Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

"I believe in one thing only, the power of human will."
    -Joseph Stalin

"Better to live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep"
    -Benito Mussolini

"Don't drink at all, don't smoke, you must exercise and eat vegetables and fruit."
    -Robert Mugabe
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    Well, I can try!

Indeed I have done, but it's just a bit of fun! Yes, you're the superior one; with rhymes I'm just dumb. Binary goes too far for some, I thought you would've known that hun

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But now we're derailing, so maybe instead of berating each other on this thread, you could PM me baby

"After All this time?"

"Always..."

ReputationRep:
    But now we're derailing, so maybe instead of berating each other on this thread, you could PM me baby
    Wow, great use of bold, underline and italics, I think I actually really like it. Just to be clear and remove all possible fear, is this a joke or genuine offer here? I'd hate to get the wrong end of the stick, my dear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    "After All this time?"

"Always..."

Awww the feels!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don't belong no place. They come to a ranch an' work up a stake and then they go inta town and blow their stake, and the first thing you know they're poundin' their tail on some other ranch. They ain't got nothing to look ahead to.

Of mice and men John Steinbeck
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Plz tell me you read it with an american accent
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Wow, great use of bold, underline and italics, I think I actually really like it. Just to be clear and remove all possible fear, is this a joke or genuine offer here? I'd hate to get the wrong end of the stick, my dear

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that even a question? Of course it was a request hun. Cause out of all the girls you're the best'un, and hopefully I have not yet messed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Guys like us, that work on ranches, are the loneliest guys in the world. They got no family. They don't belong no place. They come to a ranch an' work up a stake and then they go inta town and blow their stake, and the first thing you know they're poundin' their tail on some other ranch. They ain't got nothing to look ahead to.

Of mice and men John Steinbeck
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Plz tell me you read it with an american accent
    :yep: to the spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :yep: to the spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    Most of mine are from Terry Pratchett books, because there's no-one like Pterry for combining hilarity and thought-provoking philosophy in one quote.

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
    - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

"If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat. They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word."
    - Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money. Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles. But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that’d still be keeping his feet dry in ten years’ time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. This was the Captain Samuel Vimes “Boots” theory of socioeconomic unfairness."
    - Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms
    (Seriously, this is true. A lot of people don't realise it, but it actually costs more to be poor than to be rich, in terms of buying the necessities.)

And a couple of honourable mentions to a webcomic:

"There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it."
    and
    "It's all going to be alright! We're just going to kill you, and then you'll be fine!"
    - Phil and Kaja Foglio, Girl Genius

ReputationRep:
    Is that even a question? Of course it was a request hun. Cause out of all the girls you're the best'un, and hopefully I have not yet messed up
    Ohhhhhh yeah! :jive: A different answer could've given me a scare but if you were working, would've been fair. Awwww finding a person like you is (veryyyyyy) rare and that 'yet' shouldn't be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love the ending of The Kite Runner.

“It was only a smile, nothing more. It didn't make everything all right. It didn't make ANYTHING all right. Only a smile. A tiny thing. A leaf in the woods, shaking in the wake of a startled bird's flight. But I'll take it. With open arms. Because when spring comes, it melts the snow one flake at a time, and maybe I just witnessed the first flake melting. - Amir”

Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

Pride and Prejudice:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife"

ReputationRep:
    The only one I can even recall properly and remember it having some sort of profound effect on me is unfortunately a rather long one:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    “Where there was nature and earth, life and water, I saw a desert landscape that was unending, resembling some sort of crater, so devoid of reason and light and spirit that the mind could not grasp it on any sort of conscious level and if you came close the mind would reel backward, unable to take it in. It was a vision so clear and real and vital to me that in its purity it was almost abstract. This was what I could understand, this was how I lived my life, what I constructed my movement around, how I dealt with the tangible. This was the geography around which my reality revolved: it did not occur to me, ever, that people were good or that a man was capable of change or that the world could be a better place through one’s own taking pleasure in a feeling or a look or a gesture, of receiving another person’s love or kindness. Nothing was affirmative, the term “generosity of spirit” applied to nothing, was a cliche, was some kind of bad joke. Sex is mathematics. Individuality no longer an issue. What does intelligence signify? Define reason. Desire- meaningless. Intellect is not a cure. Justice is dead. Fear, recrimination, innocence, sympathy, guilt, waste, failure, grief, were things, emotions, that no one really felt anymore. Reflection is useless, the world is senseless. Evil is its only permanence. God is not alive. Love cannot be trusted. Surface, surface, surface, was all that anyone found meaning in…this was civilization as I saw it, colossal and jagged…”

sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saeed9711)
    "Words build bridges into unexplored regions."
    -Adolf Hitler

"He who stops being better stops being good."
    -Oliver Cromwell

"It takes less courage to criticize the decisions of others than to stand by your own."
    -Attila the Hun

"Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

"I believe in one thing only, the power of human will."
    -Joseph Stalin

"Better to live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep"
    -Benito Mussolini

"Don't drink at all, don't smoke, you must exercise and eat vegetables and fruit."
    -Robert Mugabe
    There's always one, isn't there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDChattell)
    There's always one, isn't there.
    Yeh Robert Mugabe has always been a fitness inspiration for me.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't change your fate, change your attitude - Amy Tan

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
    George R.R. Martin

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.