How would a outright burqa and face veil ban go down in England? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    I obviously won't be going to another Western country
    Even better.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the reasons I can't wait to leave this country. You can't go out in your hijab or niqab without being seen as some sort of enemy to the British society, or as you put it, someone who "refuses to integrate". Why must I compromise my superstitious beliefs(not culture) just to be accepted by a bunch of Islamophobes? We live in a multicultural society, whether you like it or not, and people need to start getting used to this. Get used to seeing Muslim women wearing veils, Indian women wearing sarees, Jewish men with their kippahs or fur hats, whatever they're called. You don't need to look British (haven't a clue what that even is) to integrate and you can still follow your religion if that's what you wish. Surprising isn't it? Hijab or no hijab I will still contribute towards the British economy, pay my taxes and be a good citizen - better than some natives. Maybe the Brits who live abroad ought to "integrate" more too, don't you think?
    I've corrected that for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dara Dahl)
    Very nice!

ReputationRep:
    People should be allowed to wear what they want. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    I can see you don't believe in the concept of cultural appropriation then. Hoorah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Really?

imo (as another poster, not the guy you're replying to) yeah, people ought to be allowed to wear a KKK outfit so long as they're not harming people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Really?

Apparently the KKK copied the costumes that are used in Spanish Easter processions. Anyone who doesn't know this and goes to Spain in Easter will think there are KKK processions going on all over the place :lol:

It should be banned outright

Even many of my family, who are otherwise conservative Muslims, are against the niqab.

It makes absolutely no sense either. Modesty in Islam is about drawing less attention to yourself. How the heck do you do that when you're walking around looking like a bloody ninja?

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    To me niqabis look more like dementors than ninjas.
    Oh yes, the flowy abayas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I don't want to admit anybody that doesn't benefit the country.
    and the people sitting at home idle with no job benefitting from OUR taxes and living off welfare state? kick them out of the UK?
    no, I didn't think so.
    and what do you do to benefit the country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangejuices)
    and the people sitting at home idle with no job benefitting from OUR taxes and living off welfare state? kick them out of the UK?
    no, I didn't think so.
    and what do you do to benefit the country?
    The fact that we have to deal with our benefit scroungers is not a reason for admitting unworthy immigrants.

I pay £500 of direct tax every month. I haven't asked for a single penny of benefit in the UK.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Josb)
    The fact that we have to deal with our benefit scroungers is not a reason for admitting unworthy immigrants.

I pay £500 of direct tax every month. I haven't asked for a single penny of benefit in the UK.
    You do realise that the vast majority of your £500 is spent on other things which you do benefit from directly or indirectly.

The ban, hen if there was a refernedum on it fine, less so if its a government becayse I think it just smacks of intolerance. I dont agree to them wearing it in impractiucal situations like court, teaching surgeion. Whether they wear them or not it doesnt affect me one iota.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You do realise that the vast majority of your £500 is spent on other things which you do benefit from directly or indirectly.
    I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    To me niqabis look more like dementors than ninjas.
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Personally I believe that telling people what they can and cannot wear is well beyond the remit of any government.
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    nope - freedom of expression > nanny state policies

whether islam is an abhorrent religion or not, you can't support a policy like this if you believe in personal liberty and not banning things which harm nobody else.
    This is simply not the case. If that were true, we would not have a problem with the white robes of the Ku Klux Klan, or with clothing featuring the swastika, or with racist skinheads etc. The reality is that dress is a statement and it can be a very powerful means of intimidation and of influencing cultural trends. The veil and all clothing that covers the face is a deliberate barrier to social participation, it is both a symbol of oppression and segregation as well as a statement of moral superiority. For the latter reason (i.e. the statement of moral superiority) as a woman I take huge issue with the hijab too, but this is another thread altogether.

The bottom line for me is that the Western way of life, the Western values and the civil rights (including women's rights) that we take for granted today have been hard won by generations of men and women, and need to be protected. Political correctness has a tranquillising effect to social anxiety, it suspends thinking and is a comfortable way to avoid facing reality. We need to get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the reasons I can't wait to leave this country. You can't go out in your hijab or niqab without being seen as some sort of enemy to the British society, or as you put it, someone who "refuses to integrate". Why must I compromise my religion (not culture) just to be accepted by a bunch of Islamophobes? We live in a multicultural society,
    You're all over the place. And I didn't say anything about hijabs or use the word "enemy" so you can stop putting words into my mouth.Last time I checked wearing a niqab isn't a requirement in Islam.
    Your refusal to find a compromise between your culture and the culture of the country you live reside in is exactly what my OP is getting at.

In your world, everyone else must compromise accomodate your cultural practices while you don't have to make any compromises in order to culturally integrate into the country you live in. You say you can't wait to leave this country - it shows how little you care about living here . You'd rather leave than find a happy medium between your cultural practices and the culture of this country - even if it means you fit in more than you currently do.

You seem like the type of person who has no desire to integrate but complains about not being accepted.
    And as expected, you're also someone who believes that anyone who criticises anything to do with Islam is an Islamophobe.

whether you like it or not, and people need to start getting used to this. Get used to seeing Muslim women wearing veils, Indian women wearing sarees, Jewish men with their kippahs or fur hats, whatever they're called.
    None of these people cover their faces though which just one reason why they're more likely to be better integrated than your average veiled Muslim woman.

You don't need to look British (haven't a clue what that even is) to integrate and you can still follow your religion if that's what you wish. Surprising isn't it? Hijab or no hijab I will still contribute towards the British economy, pay my taxes and be a good citizen - better than some natives. Maybe the Brits who live abroad ought to "integrate" more too, don't you think?
    You're inventing things again. I never said anything about "not looking British". People don't normally interact with their faces covered up - that is an accepted fundamental norm in our society. The ability to distinguish a person via their face is an important aspect of being a well integrated citizen.
    The veil goes against this. It's a statement that visually says I don't want to integrate.

I haven't got a problem with the hijab so I don't know why you keep bringing it up. The hijab doesn't cover the wearer's face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    It should be banned outright

Even many of my family, who are otherwise conservative Muslims, are against the niqab.

It makes absolutely no sense either. Modesty in Islam is about drawing less attention to yourself. How the heck do you do that when you're walking around looking like a bloody ninja?
    Conservative Muslims who are against the niqab, SubhanAllah.

Conservative Muslims who are against the niqab, SubhanAllah.
    Tell me where it says a niqab is required, go on.

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    Tell me where it says a niqab is required, go on.
    it isnt but banning it isnt good

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.