Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lachachacha)
    Lately I've been lacking enthusiasm for schoolwork as I'm so ugly I feel like regardless of grades no one will want to employ an ugly woman; is this irrational ?
    I'm pretty ugly without any make up on, went for an interview or a job facing customers and I still got it so don't worry, even if you genuinely ugly (which I doubt you are in any case) you will still get hired if you have the skills they're looking for

ReputationRep:
    Lately I've been lacking enthusiasm for schoolwork as I'm so ugly I feel like regardless of grades no one will want to employ an ugly woman; is this irrational ?
    What kind of work are you looking for?

ReputationRep:
    wtf fam are you ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    It's completely normal! Most girls would feel like this anyway and I can relate to you. But first of all why do you think that you're ugly? How do you define what ugly is? Did anyone call you ugly?
    Well firstly my hair fell out due to a genetic condition so I have to wear a wigalthough this isn't much of an issue since my wig looks pretty natural so an employer probably wouldn't even know. Secondly I have fairly bad acne at the moment, although most of it can be covered with make up. Now if it was just those two things, I'd probably be ok since they can both be concealed, but my face is vile, I look like im deformed
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What employers think at the moment is of much less concern than what the OP thinks about herself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I'm pretty ugly without any make up on, went for an interview or a job facing customers and I still got it so don't worry, even if you genuinely ugly (which I doubt you are in any case) you will still get hired if you have the skills they're looking for
    "pretty ugly" I've seen yeh you clown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    "pretty ugly" I've seen yeh you clown.
    I still did have mascara on in that picture, although it wasn't properly applied. Without it I'm truly hideous (or at least I think I am)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    It isn't normal...you might feel too "ugly" for a relationship, or a friendship or something to do with you personal life but it should affect your professional life at all. You need a brain and skills for a job, if you're brilliant at what you do then it doesn't matter what you look like.
    Unfortunately, for women, this is sometimes not the case.

ReputationRep:
    Being a hot girl at work does have its advantages. work on your apperance its not hard if ur a gurl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    Unfortunately, for women, this is sometimes not the case.
    What the not getting hired if you're unattractive?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly irrational.
    In most jobs unless you are dealing with the public, and even then it is illegal to be discriminated, looks are unimportant.
    (Except a career in modelling)

ReputationRep:
    What the not getting hired if you're unattractive?
    I've read a few articles/studies about attractiveness and women getting to the top. I think on a base level, it's irrelevant (e.g. flipping burgers in McDonald's or stacking shelves w/e). I'll try to find the particular article later and link you it (too tired and lazy rn). Essentially, it is mostly men at the top and they're the ones conducting the interview. It was found that they're more likely to hire a woman that they find attractive than one they find unattractive. Not having the article to hand rn of course limits my ability to argue it. Nevertheless, I work in retail throughout London and have noted that the vast majority of my colleagues have been really quite attractive. Luxury (ie designer) retail requires effort in selling and maybe employers think more attractive people are more likely to sell; idrk. This latter point is merely an anecdotal observation ofc.

(Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I doubt you'd be too ugly to get a job.
    Only a blow job lol!

ReputationRep:
    I've read a few articles/studies about attractiveness and women getting to the top. I think on a base level, it's irrelevant (e.g. flipping burgers in McDonald's or stacking shelves w/e). I'll try to find the particular article later and link you it (too tired and lazy rn). Essentially, it is mostly men at the top and they're the ones conducting the interview. It was found that they're more likely to hire a woman that they find attractive than one they find unattractive. Not having the article to hand rn of course limits my ability to argue it. Nevertheless, I work in retail throughout London and have noted that the vast majority of my colleagues have been really quite attractive. Luxury (ie designer) retail requires effort in selling and maybe employers think more attractive people are more likely to sell; idrk. This latter point is merely an anecdotal observation ofc.
    I watched a documentary about how it's more likely for attractive men to be employed over average looking men, I suppose it's the same for women in that sense. I do understand, you want your employees to look approachable, attractive, presentable etc

But I think to make it a criteria is silly, you can't help it if your features are unattractive to somebody. It's something you can't change( sometimes you can, lol but thats not the point).

I think for the most part if you are confident and know what you're doing, have the correct work ethic and the best qualifications amongst the rest of the candidates, it shouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    I watched a documentary about how it's more likely for attractive men to be employed over average looking men, I suppose it's the same for women in that sense. I do understand, you want your employees to look approachable, attractive, presentable etc

But I think to make it a criteria is silly, you can't help it if your features are unattractive to somebody. It's something you can't change( sometimes you can, lol but thats not the point).

I think for the most part if you are confident and know what you're doing, have the correct work ethic and the best qualifications amongst the rest of the candidates, it shouldn't matter.
    In retail, being presentable is a criteria noted on job applications. I even had to submit pictures of myself when applying for such jobs as waitressing and bar work.

In other roles, it perhaps isn't an outlined criteria, but a subconscious one on the interviewer's part.

ReputationRep:
    In retail, being presentable is a criteria noted on job applications. I even had to submit pictures of myself when applying for such jobs as waitressing and bar work.

In other roles, it perhaps isn't an outlined criteria, but a subconscious one on the interviewer's part.
    Waitressing, really? Do boys have to do the same?

ReputationRep:
    Waitressing, really? Do boys have to do the same?
    No idea. The pictures were requested after I'd submitted my CV.

ReputationRep:
    If you start getting job rejections with 'Your face doesnt fit' then I'd worry, but honestly how many top politicians or heads of top companies are actually good looking too?

Not many, so dont worry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.