Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?
    Yes
    36.15%
    No
    63.85%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Wewuz Hebrews)
    At my school people were standing on toilet seats chucking stuff at people's heads as they used the bathroom (not me because that's too dirty, even for the bottom of my boot)
    Well maybe your school needed bathroom poilce :lolwut: But that's not an issue with gender neutral bathrooms so much as with discipline.

Or no uniform and respect the wishes of every single individual rather than destroying people's identities...
    My school had no school uniform. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    ^this (Y)
    I really want to hammer this point home.

Why is is not ok to suppress the identity of people who are trans, but it is ok to suppress the identity of everyone in a collective way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Well maybe your school needed bathroom poilce :lolwut: But that's not an issue with gender neutral bathrooms so much as with discipline.
    It was really middle class too, despite how bad it was underneath. The point is that it would go from hardcore LAD banter to something more sinister pretty quickly where literally half the school would suffer.

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    My school had no school uniform. :yep:
    is the fairest solution

ReputationRep:
    If it's that big of an issue then install some wooden cubical walls in a corner of the changing room, much like they have at most swimming pools.

Boys and girls should have the option of wearing the same uniform regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be up for allowing trans boys to use boys bathrooms, as long as they provided the school with some form of psychiatric or medical assessment that proved that they were indeed suffering from gender dysphoria and were willing to formally change their gender on all school records (presumably, this would also affect other school-related activities that may be divided along gender, such as sports).

This process would obviously be designed with the intent of stopping the pervs and weirdos who want to temporarily pretend that they're of the opposite gender as a joke or a way to get into girls' bathrooms etc.

Edit: Perhaps they could use the disabled or staff toilets? I don't think that most schools have the space, suitable plumbing or willingness to initiate the process of getting planning permissions to expand their facilities to accommodate such a small minority of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So tolerant :yy:

The little bow on his hat kills it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    What happens to a trans child at a unisex school?
    kick him/her out at the start of the next academic year :devil:

ReputationRep:
    At the college where I taught, we had a girl who changed to being a boy. He used the disabled loo. The other students knew before the college was told and they had no issues with it at all. I had no difficulty remembering to call him by his name but frequently forgot and said "she" and "her" instead of "he" and "him", but we coped.

The biggest problem was with the exam boards. They were used to having people change their name part way through a modular qualification, but took some persuading that this male with one name was still the same person as the female with a different name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    kick him/her out at the start of the next academic year :devil:
    If you are a guy, could you request to be allowed to attend an all girls school on the grounds of sexual discrimination?

ReputationRep:
    If you are a guy, could you request to be allowed to attend an all girls school on the grounds of sexual discrimination?
    No idea lol - we'll let tumblr figure that out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    No idea lol - we'll let tumblr figure that out
    I don't think so. Girlguiding is allowed to be a single sex organisation and can still apply for grants. The reason I said the last bit is that some 20 years ago or so, all male or all female rowing clubs couldn't get grants from the Sports Foundation (or whatever they were called). That's why Leander started admitting women. It was a bit hard on women's rowing clubs such as Weybridge Ladies who had only set up as a club because the local rowing clubs wouldn't allow women to join them.

ReputationRep:
    I have mixed feelings about this because in my book if you identify yourself as a female then you're a female and therefore can use the female toilets. Same goes for guys. If we isolate them and give them their own toilets then aren't we just pushing them further away? As if they aren't 'normal' enough to use the same toilets as everyone else?

This topic is interesting because in my school no one came out as being trans and same goes for my sixth form. Maybe they were there and kept it a secret. I don't know. But I think the focus should be on educating people. Once they know more about this, people will care less about where someone decides to pee.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    aren't there already disabled loos in schools? maybe there should be a "disabled/neutral toilet" if not.
    Disabled toilets are there for disabled people. It's bad enough when disabled people can't go to the toilet in a public place because their loos are used as baby changing rooms for lazy companies who can't be bothered to install a baby changing table and nappy bin in the ladies and gents loos.

There's no reason why any standard, all cubicle, toilet can't be made unisex without taking away what limited access to toilets disabled people have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Disabled toilets are there for disabled people. It's bad enough when disabled people can't go to the toilet in a public place because their loos are used as baby changing rooms for lazy companies who can't be bothered to install a baby changing table and nappy bin in the ladies and gents loos.

There's no reason why any standard, all cubicle, toilet can't be made unisex without taking away what limited access to toilets disabled people have.
    I'm just doubting whether the obvious symbolic value is proportional to the extra costs

ReputationRep:
    I'm just doubting whether the obvious symbolic value is proportional to the extra costs
    Particularly when it most probably won't be used by anyone :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarleyZ)
    The Association of Teachers and Lecturers has voted to lobby for better training for staff to support transgender pupils.

Teachers with experience of supporting these pupils have said that changes to toilets, changing rooms and uniforms are more straightforward ways to help - what do you think?

Should these changes be made? ie. all gender toilets and changing rooms
    What a ridiculous idea.

Do you have any clue at all how small school's budgets are? If money gets wasted on this crap I don't even know what to say. Let's work on improving medical services/ education before we worry about this social justice nonsense.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    What is the extra cost to changing the signs on the all-cubicle toilets?

And when it comes to time to re-fit any toilets with urinals refitting in a way to maximise the number of cubicles available and putting the urinals in a smaller segregated area?

The costs involved are minimal unless you're looking for excuses. Noone is saying toilets should be torn out and refitted immediately just for this. They're saying that staff need better training and that schools should consider these issues when making decisions about changing rooms, toilets and uniforms.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    What a ridiculous idea.

Do you have any clue at all how small school's budgets are? If money gets wasted on this crap I don't even know what to say. Let's work on improving medical services/ education before we worry about this social justice nonsense.
    How does changing uniform policy affect school budgets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Disabled toilets are there for disabled people.
    Agree here.

(Original post by PQ)
    It's bad enough when disabled people can't go to the toilet in a public place because their loos are used as baby changing rooms for lazy companies who can't be bothered to install a baby changing table and nappy bin in the ladies and gents loos.

Still with you.

(Original post by PQ)
    This is what is so wrong, you are removing the right to privacy and comfort for the majority simply to push this agenda and I would happily say there should be a male only, female only, disabled and universal toilet, but stop undermining the rights of men and women to have peace and safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    What is the extra cost to changing the signs on the all-cubicle toilets?

And when it comes to time to re-fit any toilets with urinals refitting in a way to maximise the number of cubicles available and putting the urinals in a smaller segregated area?

The costs involved are minimal unless you're looking for excuses. Noone is saying toilets should be torn out and refitted immediately just for this. They're saying that staff need better training and that schools should consider these issues when making decisions about changing rooms, toilets and uniforms.
    well obviously there's going to need to be a new toilet room - there will need to be 2 for the respective genders, and another for the gender neutral toilet. most schools today won't have trans people, so it'll be a facility that won't be used for this purpose as a matter of inevitable reality. therefore, the spending on these facilities will clearly not match the utility of the trans person. I do think that there should be the equivalent of a disabled toilet, whether or not it would be labelled "disabled toilet" if it can apply to the vast minority of individuals in society, being trans or disabled

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.