Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who would be able to make Britain great again? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Both have them have questioned even the need for parliament; instead calling for online voting. You can't really get more libertarian than them
    Could be true. Although I'm not sure libertarianism is the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Could be true. Although I'm not sure libertarianism is the answer
    Maybe, but it would be good to stick a finger up to all the cosy career politicians

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)

It was rational because it prevented a second election which the Tories would have won, therefore preventing a majority. They prevented 5 years ago what's happening now.
    that doesn't particularly "democratic" if what was rational to them was to deny a new stabilising election - what's their party name again? the liberal ___s ? in terms of rationality, it might have been "rational" for tony blair to go to war with iraq if they was going to get rich from it - is it rationality for a particular politician or party or rationality for the results of the people?

Honestly, I haven't looked much into their economic policies. But I know that they support less austerity, and we know that austerity has failed. It's a different approach, but also less radical than the other options (Labour or Greens).
    but generally economists overall are pretty united in the belief that free market capitalism is the most rational "management" of an economy and the lib dems are generally on the left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Maybe, but it would be good to stick a finger up to all the cosy career politicians
    It's a cause I can certainly get behind

ReputationRep:
    Britain is already great, ask any immigrant. We don't need a publicity addicted clown to make us look ridiculous like the Americans need to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    that doesn't particularly "democratic" if what was rational to them was to deny a new stabilising election - what's their party name again? the liberal ___s ? in terms of rationality, it might have been "rational" for tony blair to go to war with iraq if they was going to get rich from it - is it rationality for a particular politician or party or rationality for the results of the people?
    How is it undemocratic? They formed a coalition, that's a completely valid result and arguably more democratic than refusing to form one and forcing another election.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting that the Lib Dems somehow benefited by forming a coalition?

but generally economists overall are pretty united in the belief that free market capitalism is the most rational "management" of an economy and the lib dems are generally on the left
    But it's still a better approach than the current one, and most of the alternatives.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Boris Johnson.
    I hope that was sarcasm, you seen that dude's hair? And I have no idea what could make Britain great again - each era of Britain have been different and in my 18 years of living, I've witnessed the collapse of the nation and never really seen a steady person in charge of it. If we could incorporate certain aspects of each era then maybe it could be great again.

ReputationRep:
    I think Peter Hitchens would make a great PM.

ReputationRep:
    How is it undemocratic? They formed a coalition, that's a completely valid result and arguably more democratic than refusing to form one and forcing another election.
    here were their options:
    1) form a coalition and get into (shared) power
    2) no majority government - probable new election, or minority government by the tories (same result but they'd have less seats and would have to make more concessions with the libs

they wanted the power over the lack of power, obviously

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting that the Lib Dems somehow benefited by forming a coalition?
    of course I am - lib dems got into government for the first time. they wanted a taste of power. and they thought they could steer government policy and failed. it was a shot and it missed. they didn't think it would make them unpopular, at least not to the extent of 2015, so they simply miscalculated

by the way, I was a former lib dem supporter - I'm not trying to be unfair, I think this is exactly what happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I hope that was sarcasm, you seen that dude's hair? And I have no idea what could make Britain great again - each era of Britain have been different and in my 18 years of living, I've witnessed the collapse of the nation and never really seen a steady person in charge of it. If we could incorporate certain aspects of each era then maybe it could be great again.

Yes, it was.

Did you see my other post? That was serious.

'Collapse of the nation' is a bit drastic.

Britain still has so much going for it. :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Britain is already great, ask any immigrant. We don't need a publicity addicted clown to make us look ridiculous like the Americans need to do.
    What does asking an immigrants opinion bear on this? It may very well be true what you say, but that may be because they come from countries that are much worse of from ours.

I think it still stands that Britain in the last few decades (and more) has declined, quite a bit.

I don't want 'publicity addicted clowns' - I just want suggestions on who could run the country better than the people we've had in the last few years.

ReputationRep:
    here were their options:
    1) form a coalition and get into (shared) power
    2) no majority government - probable new election, or minority government by the tories (same result but they'd have less seats and would have to make more concessions with the libs

they wanted the power over the lack of power, obviously

of course I am - lib dems got into government for the first time. they wanted a taste of power. and they thought they could steer government policy and failed. it was a shot and it missed. they didn't think it would make them unpopular, at least not to the extent of 2015, so they simply miscalculated

by the way, I was a former lib dem supporter - I'm not trying to be unfair, I think this is exactly what happened
    By having shared power they could actually do something. They prevented a huge amount of Tory policies from being put in place (a lot of the policies we're seeing now), and sacrificed their reputation for it. How exactly did they benefit?

The alternative is that they had no power, and a second election would likely lead to a Tory majority with nobody to hold them accountable - exactly what we have now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Josh)
    I think Peter Hitchens would make a great PM.
    +1.

I love Peter Hitchens. But he has always refused to even become involved in politics.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it was.

The way things are going, the UK will cease to exist.

What does it have going for it?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Yes, it was.

It does, what I should have said was that I think it is not as what it should and used to be. The problem is that politicians just through any old lie to get us to vote for them but never follow through on their problem. I also believe that in Britain, we've wanted to have too much of everything (education, money and health care) that doing it all in one go has affected the economy. It doesn't help that a lot of wealthy people emigrate to Australia and America for a better lifestyle in terms of wealth and climate and employment.

ReputationRep:
    By having shared power they could actually do something. They prevented a huge amount of Tory policies from being put in place (a lot of the policies we're seeing now), and sacrificed their reputation for it. How exactly did they benefit?

The alternative is that they had no power, and a second election would likely lead to a Tory majority with nobody to hold them accountable - exactly what we have now.
    yeah but they happened to compromise specifically on the things their supporters cared the most about - they gave the people (or helped give them) a pointless referendum on a flawed voting system (PR should have been the option and they should have stuck to their guns) and they refused to uphold their promise on tuition fees - nick clegg even made a campaign video specific for the purpose of telling the voters that they wouldn't break that promise. they thought people wouldn't remember or wouldn't mind, but they did, so they miscalculated

ReputationRep:
    yeah but they happened to compromise specifically on the things their supporters cared the most about - they gave the people (or helped give them) a pointless referendum on a flawed voting system (PR should have been the option and they should have stuck to their guns) and they refused to uphold their promise on tuition fees - nick clegg even made a campaign video specific for the purpose of telling the voters that they wouldn't break that promise. they thought people wouldn't remember or wouldn't mind, but they did, so they miscalculated
    But if they hadn't formed a coalition, tuition fees wouldn't have been abolished anyway. And they'd probably have been raised even more than they were. So how would not forming a coalition have been preferable in any way?

ReputationRep:
    The way things are going, the UK will cease to exist.

What does it have going for it?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    Quite conveniently skipping over my question...

ReputationRep:
    What does asking an immigrants opinion bear on this? It may very well be true what you say, but that may be because they come from countries that are much worse of from ours.

I think it still stands that Britain in the last few decades (and more) has declined, quite a bit.

I don't want 'publicity addicted clowns' - I just want suggestions on who could run the country better than the people we've had in the last few years.
    British people ***** about Britain because they get complacent and lack perspective. Britain has many things going for it.

Maybe, we should allow non British people to run the country. Why should only British people get the chance to do it. Obama would be jobless soon, I am sure he could shake things up a bit and make Britain even better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.