Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stk1010)
    If you were the PM what would be your top 5 topics of agenda that you'd like to implement/tackle/address during your term and how would you go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly I would cut corporation tax- this will be an incentive for more people to start up businesses therefore reciepts could potentially raise more money despite the rate being cut, It will also reduce the chance of businesses using tax havens if we had a lower rate here. I would trial a 12% Corporation tax, with the view of it going down to about 8%- obviously the public sector may have to de-lever.

Secondly I would sell failing state-owned businesses, that way the taxpayer is not paying the bankers to gamble the money down the drain, or any other company, I would sell all the banks to start with, if they lose money and face closure let it be they have taken enough money. I would never privatise the NHS, Police and fire services.

Thirdly I would try and put pressure on businesses who pay women less then men, its unfair that men get paid for doing the same job- and vice versa of course, as there is probably employers who pay women more then men- lets just call it wage equality

Fourthly build more homes but there will be a certain criteria to qualify for these, I would target to build an extra 100,000. homes. The criteria would be based on location and disposable income. I would guarantee that at least half of the homes built will be going to UK born citizens to make housing more affordable

Finally I would take religious studies off the curriculum- to try and stop extremeism, both islamic extremism and radical views which may lead to racism.

Very Brief

ReputationRep:
    1. Immediately legalize possession of personal-use quantities of all drugs, legalize the regulated production and sale, and tax them. The revenue generated/money saved (from having less people in prison, etc.) would go to funding drug rehabilitation, education and mental health services. I'd also put a significant amount of funding into medical research in previous illegal drugs, particularly ones with huge known potential like MDMA, cannabis and ketamine, to make up for decades of lost progress. Replace prison with community service for many minor offences. Base fines on the offender's tax bracket.

2. Undo all of Michael Gove's education reforms and revert back to the system we had before he interfered. Then begin evidence-based reforms based on systems that have been shown to work, like the Finnish education system. Produce a report into inequality in equipment and resources available in schools across the country, and give the most funding to the schools that need it the most, rather than the ones that are already performing the best. Ban faith schools. Abolish tuition fees on all STEM degrees and certain others. Invest in free part-time education for adults, to turn minimum wage workers into skilled workers, and invest in libraries.

3. Ban fracking. Invest in more nuclear energy, and significantly in renewables research. Introduce a 20% tax on ALL disposable plastic products except those used in manufacturing, science or medical activities. Subsidise electric vehicles, and build charging stations at all motorway service stations and in every city in the UK.

4. Cut military spending significantly, mainly by reducing the number of military personnel, but upgrade and preserve Trident and invest more in better technology and equipment.

5. Relax various regulations on small businesses. Merge Companies House and HMRC and invest in better, more effective online services for business owners. Invest heavily in new small businesses and start-ups, and introduce an Entrepreneur's Living Allowance awarded to cover the living expenses of people attempting to start a business.

And if I could do more than 5...

6. Democratic reform. Introduce a new, fairer voting system, and stricter gerrymandering laws. Ban all campaign donations and spending, and instead introduce a publicly funded campaign system giving equal representation to all parties.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    1. Tighten up the immigration laws by only letting those in who have a job already sorted out
    2. Limit the amount of houses that one can own. For those with a second house, it must be rented out. Those living abroad will have their house taken off them unless they agree to sell it for a set price
    3. Encourage UK businesses to buy from other UK businesses with subsides and special tax cuts when something is brought from a UK business
    4. Cancel almost all foreign aid
    5. Pay MPs less money and use the money to pay teachers and doctors more. As well as to Stop almost all payments to the rich
    Paid for by?

I quite like reading these things, but there is always the "you know that isn't free?" hanging over things

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChildOfTony)
    Firstly I would cut corporation tax- this will be an incentive for more people to start up businesses therefore reciepts could potentially raise more money despite the rate being cut, It will also reduce the chance of businesses using tax havens if we had a lower rate here. I would trial a 12% Corporation tax, with the view of it going down to about 8%- obviously the public sector may have to de-lever.

Secondly I would sell failing state-owned businesses, that way the taxpayer is not paying the bankers to gamble the money down the drain, or any other company, I would sell all the banks to start with, if they lose money and face closure let it be they have taken enough money. I would never privatise the NHS, Police and fire services.

Thirdly I would try and put pressure on businesses who pay women less then men, its unfair that men get paid for doing the same job- and vice versa of course, as there is probably employers who pay women more then men- lets just call it wage equality

Fourthly build more homes but there will be a certain criteria to qualify for these, I would target to build an extra 100,000. homes. The criteria would be based on location and disposable income. I would guarantee that at least half of the homes built will be going to UK born citizens to make housing more affordable

Finally I would take religious studies off the curriculum- to try and stop extremeism, both islamic extremism and radical views which may lead to racism.

Very Brief
    Third is already illegal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Give the poor a benefit of £50 a month for being poor

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No more robin red breasts.

They are clearly orange.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Liberal eugenics (Paying people with low IQs for instance to be sterilized- saving money on benefits and improving social mobility)
    ...Are you joking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Paid for by?

I quite like reading these things, but there is always the "you know that isn't free?" hanging over things

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, the cuts on foreign aid which I remember Osborne saying it was £16bn in 2015 as well as assuming most of the UK businesses do well, we'd get more tax revenue and the thousands we'd get from cutting MP wages will alone be able to find the subsidies and reduced taxes. In terms of teachers and doctors, it's now or never. We'd lose so much productivity(due to less qualifications, so quality of products could drop) if we dont try to encourage teachers to go and teach somewhere. Yes it will increase our budget deficit in the short term, but it will do a world of good in the long term.

As with housing, it is likely to mean lower renting prices so consumers will have more to spend so linked with what I just said, UK businesses can flourish.

ReputationRep:

Very Brief
    I'm not trying to attack you for your opinion, but the third point is flawed. Will it take account of overtime, experience, days off, qualifications, bonuses, work load and length of shifts etc.? I don't want to believe there is a wage gap but a lot of the "research" seems to be just looking at the basic statistics rather than the bigger picture, which is why I'm convinced that there isn't a wage gap. Yes I would be saying the same if it were the other way around.

I also disagree with the last point. It seems like saying that history should be taken out the curriculum because you don't want people to become nazis. I do think the world would be a better place without religion, but the subject itself has its own benefits(extra qualification, less ignorance etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    ...Are you joking?
    No, although I did get the idea from a comedian (he makes a joke about it, but he's serious)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRRNvTof48

(2 minutes in if you don't appreciate the comedy)

ReputationRep:
    Well, the cuts on foreign aid which I remember Osborne saying it was £16bn in 2015 as well as assuming most of the UK businesses do well, we'd get more tax revenue and the thousands we'd get from cutting MP wages will alone be able to find the subsidies and reduced taxes. In terms of teachers and doctors, it's now or never. We'd lose so much productivity(due to less qualifications, so quality of products could drop) if we dont try to encourage teachers to go and teach somewhere. Yes it will increase our budget deficit in the short term, but it will do a world of good in the long term.

As with housing, it is likely to mean lower renting prices so consumers will have more to spend so linked with what I just said, UK businesses can flourish.
    Why does everyone want to cut MPs wages? I despise our government, but they work far harder and longer than most people in the country, including most teachers and doctors. But we should pay them **** all just because people don't like them?

Then there's the fact that there are only 650 MPs in the country. You could stop paying them entirely and you'd make £48 million, which is utterly insignificant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Why does everyone want to cut MPs wages? I despise our government, but they work far harder and longer than most people in the country, including most teachers and doctors. But we should pay them **** all just because people don't like them?

Then there's the fact that there are only 650 MPs in the country. You could stop paying them entirely and you'd make £48 million, which is utterly insignificant.
    Because they've ****ed everyone else's futures providing they aren't rich or nearly 50. They laughed at Corbyn for mentioning the flood victims and that reason alone is why they don't deserve what they get. They don't even pay their feking taxes either. The simple phrase "don't dish it out if you can't take it back" so those wanting to cut teacher's salaries can therefore get a taste of their own medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Because they've ****ed everyone else's futures providing they aren't rich or nearly 50. They laughed at Corbyn for mentioning the flood victims and that reason alone is why they don't deserve what they get. They don't even pay their feking taxes either. The simple phrase "don't dish it out if you can't take it back" so those wanting to cut teacher's salaries can therefore get a taste of their own medicine.
    But most of them do pay their taxes. Corbyn is an MP so you'd be cutting his pay too.

Essentially you're proposing that deserve to have their pay cut for making decisions that you don't like. I don't think our political system would work very well if we did that, and it's not remotely fair.

ReputationRep:
    Third is already illegal

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well you try and tell that to some engineering company, if you watch the news you should know that there is a gender pay gap

ReputationRep:
    The third point is based on people having the same job but a difference in pay for example the engineering companies pay men £8-£9 an hour and women the bare minimum, yes they dont do as much heavy work but the jobs are very similar. RE: Religion radical christianity will lead to KKK, nazi's and racists in general, where as radical islam leads to terrorists

I'm not trying to attack you for your opinion, but the third point is flawed. Will it take account of overtime, experience, days off, qualifications, bonuses, work load and length of shifts etc.? I don't want to believe there is a wage gap but a lot of the "research" seems to be just looking at the basic statistics rather than the bigger picture, which is why I'm convinced that there isn't a wage gap. Yes I would be saying the same if it were the other way around.

I also disagree with the last point. It seems like saying that history should be taken out the curriculum because you don't want people to become nazis. I do think the world would be a better place without religion, but the subject itself has its own benefits(extra qualification, less ignorance etc.)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well you try and tell that to some engineering company, if you watch the news you should know that there is a gender pay gap
    Except there isn't. The myth of the pay gap us based on the fact that different people do different jobs. Did you also know there is a pay gap between managers and their subordinates?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Except there isn't. The myth of the pay gap us based on the fact that different people do different jobs. Did you also know there is a pay gap between managers and their subordinates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Obviously. Say what you want but the Factory where my dad works the men who work in Unit 3 are on £10 a hour, they are employed as welders, the women in this department are on £7.50- they are employed as welders aswell
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Obviously. Say what you want but the Factory where my dad works the men who work in Unit 3 are on £10 a hour, they are employed as welders, the women in this department are on £7.50- they are employed as welders aswell
    Then the women should sue because that's illegal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely this and as you said below if there is an individual difference in a company sue them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -Re-nationalise energy and railways
    -Implement a comprehensive environmental agenda - invest heavily in renewables, introduce tough animal welfare laws, create more marine conservation zones, crack down on illegal fishing, etc
    -Citizen's income
    -Democratise the economy
    -Build, like, a zillion new homes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.