Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shocking video shows school worker punching autistic boy after racial remark Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmicstarbeast)
    Excerpt taken from the Washington Post:

"A Brooklyn father says he’s suing after viewing newly released video footage that shows a school official punching his autistic son in the head.Anatoly Veltman Sr. is seeking $5 million in damages over the 2014 incident at Public School 225 in Brighton Beach, where a paraprofessional trained to work with special-needs students struck then-11-year-old Anatoly Veltman Jr.Milton Parker was initially charged with felony assault for striking the boy in the school cafeteria.

Parker pleaded guilty last year to a lesser charge — misdemeanor assault — and was required to attend anger management classes, according to WNBC.

The elder Veltman told The Washington Post that he’s still shocked that a veteran paraprofessional like Parker could have assaulted his child.“I am extremely sad that anyone at all — let alone a paraprofessional at the school — can behave in this manner with a child, especially a special-needs child,” Veltman said. “If he could wind up for a punch like that, the man has big issues.”

"source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...national_pop_b (Video in the link)
    The boy punched him and was racist and he got punched back whats the problem?You do not know how strong that boy could potentially be a couple of punches and the school official could have been seriously injured/dead I don't think people seem to get this all that school official did was self defense and yet this is not an acceptable argument apparently?

Being autistic is no excuse for bad behaviour, so I don't get why the boy's father is so angry a lot of parents would have done the same had their son punched them like that at home and been racist.

At the moment school behaviour is ridiculously bad and reduces the learning of well behaved students, I do think physical punishment is needed in schools to handle the bad behaviour. You are much less likely to behave badly if you know you will get beaten up if you do.At the moment a lot of children behave badly and don't obey the teachers because they know the teachers can't do anything to them they may even get suspended and get days of school which is exactly what they want.

http://www.theguardian.com/education...ehaviour-worse

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't have punched him, but $5 mil in damages? I'd love to hear how they justify that...

When people seek huge amounts of damages for something so small, I always start to think that this goes further than what we're being told... I can't help but think that the parents were trying to pull a fast one by getting their kid to provoke staff so they could sue...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger-Smith)
    I've just shown this to my stepdad and he praised whoever was responsible and said we could do with more of it happening in this country!!!!!!!!!
    Your stepdad was completely right did you not see atrocious behaviour at your school and think these pupils could do with a good beating?The majority of pupils know exactly what they are doing and are just being nasty.Its not fair that at the moment such bad behaviour is allowed to ruin the learning of well behaved students.

ReputationRep:
    Working with someone with a lot of additional needs is really challenging, regardless of where or how that is done. It's understandable to get annoyed and frustrated but if he felt that overwhelmed he needed to walk away and ask another member of staff to take over while he sorted himself out. Punching someone vulnerable because they upset you (perhaps without even realising what they were doing) is just a horrible response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    The boy punched him and was racist and he got punched back whats the problem?You do not know how strong that boy could potentially be a couple of punches and the school official could have been seriously injured/dead I don't think people seem to get this all that school official did was self defense and yet this is not an acceptable argument apparently?
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...ehaviour-worse
    walking away would have been the ideal response (assuming he's no danger to anyone else), if he had to react in self defense then that means restraining the kid not punching him back, punching him in response is not self defense

ReputationRep:
    Autistic people (especially low functioning) really struggle to express themselves so as a result some of them can be quite violent at times. They also suffer from significantly high stress levels, all the time in fact, so it's like living in a constant fight or flight state. Children in special schools can sometimes be violent and this is something that those working there need to deal with properly. Punching one of them doesn't qualify as 'dealing with it properly,' it qualifies as child abuse.

The other thing to bear in mind is that autistic people have severely ravaged social skills, effectively none. We're often not aware of what's okay or not okay to say or do and as a result we often come across as rude. We interpret and say things entirely literally, which is what the kid did there with his racist statements. He wasn't intending to be racist and probably had no idea it was offensive. This is another thing people working at special schools should be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I am not the man in the video, I probably wouldn't punch the kid but I can't help my instinctive reaction which is to not sympathise with racists.
    A huge, fully grown man punches a learning disabled child with a mental age of five with all his force, causing a concussion and you don't sympathise??

You need to take a look at yourself, and your lack of a moral compass. That is a shameful thing to say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    A huge, fully grown man punches a learning disabled child with a mental age of five with all his force, causing a concussion and you don't sympathise??

You need to take a look at yourself, and your lack of a moral compass. That is a shameful thing to say...
    ^This

When you work in this sort of field it is assumed that you have to deal with crap and not retaliate. The same people whining that it was justified just because of the race element are the same kind of people who would cry police brutality when a cop beats the living crap out of someone who attacked them.

You can't have two sets of rules for different people and if you think the racial element justifies it then you are the racist.

ReputationRep:
    the kid hit him first though - sure, you should moderate the force of your blows if it's a kid, but if they attack you first, they know *exactly* what they're doing. you can't say that adults can *never* hit back kids, or else kids could get away with anything they want.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest the kid looks like a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarageCollage)
    the kid hit him first though - sure, you should moderate the force of your blows if it's a kid, but if they attack you first, they know *exactly* what they're doing. you can't say that adults can *never* hit back kids, or else kids could get away with anything they want.
    This was a child with a learning disability giving him a mental age of five.

Who was hit, in anger and frightening force by a fully grown man, who had been given extensive training and was being professionally paid to take responsibility for his care.

It is appalling, you only have to look at the video. I just don't understand the lack of basic morality on the part of those who defend or excuse this man.

No adult beats the crap out of a five year old for WHATEVER reason. Full stop. Period. End of.

ReputationRep:
    This was a child with a learning disability giving him a mental age of five.

Who was hit, in anger and frightening force by a fully grown man, who had been given extensive training and was being professionally paid to take responsibility for his care.

It is appalling, you only have to look at the video. I just don't understand the lack of basic morality on the part of those who defend or excuse this man.

No adult beats the crap out of a five year old for WHATEVER reason. Full stop. Period. End of.
    I'm sorry but if this kid is a threat to their teachers they shouldn't be there in the lunch hall but somewhere where they're not going to harm people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarageCollage)
    I'm sorry but if this kid is a threat to their teachers they shouldn't be there in the lunch hall but somewhere where they're not going to harm people.
    Exactly right! We should throw the mentally ill in solitary confinement from birth!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Exactly right! We should throw the mentally ill in solitary confinement from birth!!!!!!!!!!
    unless you're saying they're not a threat when they proved themselves to be an automaton in this video?

ReputationRep:

I have no intention of working with autistic kids, shame on him and his family for bringing him up to be like this then.

He shouldn't have punched the boy. The boy did make a racist remark and although he apparently has the mental age of a 6 year old, I knew not to be racist at that age. Doesn't excuse the man's actions regardless. My cousin is severely autistic and I know if he were to say something like that, he wouldn't really understand what he had said. However, he would not say it because his parents are very careful not to use such language around him and to teach him what is socially acceptable. Had this boy's parents done that, he would not have said it. So, you can't blame the autistic child or truly think of him as racist.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm a bit disturbed by some of the responses here - please bear in mind that the perpetrator here is supposed to be a trained professional. It is his job to be able to deal with challenging behaviour. No, of course the boy's behaviour isn't particularly pleasant but he's got mental health difficulties, which is precisely what professionals like Parker are there to help with in the first place. It really isn't mind-blowing stuff to expect someone with autism to say or do socially unacceptable things. Behaviour like this doesn't come out of the blue, people around him would have known that he's capable of acting in this way. If this man's response to this is violence, he shouldn't be working in this sector and in my opinion completely deserves to be convicted of assault (if this is indeed what happened).

I have no intention of working with autistic kids, shame on him and his family for bringing him up to be like this then.
    I find your lack of understanding pretty depressing, to be honest. He is not a normal child. You cannot assume it is his conscious decision or the result of neglect on the part of his family that he is acting in this way. He has a mental illness, how difficult is this to understand? Professionals like the man in this article are being employed to help him deal with his behaviour issues and instead, we get this.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    x
    This

It is interesting how some people justify the assault when they hear he said something racist. There's an autistic kid who goes on the same bus as me at school, who says some stuff I've been offended by. I managed to not beat him up, somehow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I'm a bit disturbed by some of the responses here - please bear in mind that the perpetrator here is supposed to be a trained professional. It is his job to be able to deal with challenging behaviour. No, of course the boy's behaviour isn't particularly pleasant but he's got mental health difficulties, which is precisely what professionals like Parker are there to help with in the first place. It really isn't mind-blowing stuff to expect someone with autism to say or do socially unacceptable things. Behaviour like this doesn't come out of the blue, people around him would have known that he's capable of acting in this way. If this man's response to this is violence, he shouldn't be working in this sector and in my opinion completely deserves to be convicted of assault (if this is indeed what happened).

I find your lack of understanding pretty depressing, to be honest. He is not a normal child. You cannot assume it is his conscious decision or the result of neglect on the part of his family that he is acting in this way. He has a mental illness, how difficult is this to understand? Professionals like the man in this article are being employed to help him deal with his behaviour issues and instead, we get this.
    Even if I was to condemn the man, I do not sympathise with the kid, if it's not a fault of his parents that he is racist then who's is it?

He apparently has the mental age of a 6 year old, I would not dare make such remarks at age 6.

ReputationRep:
    Even if I was to condemn the man, I do not sympathise with the kid, if it's not a fault of his parents that he is racist then who's is it?

He apparently has the mental age of a 6 year old, I would not dare make such remarks at age 6.
    Sad that after all this time, people still don't even try to understand mental illness.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.