Turn on thread page Beta

A private company has just landed a rocket from orbit on an ocean platform? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I **** you not, they're among a number of companies planning to beam Wi-Fi down from the heavens, messing up life on earth still more!
    I don't care There is only so much we can do to preserve the Earth, and most of it will be trumped by natural processes (volcanic eruptions, solar flaires.)

The only way humanity can survive in the long term is by spreading out into space, and for that, we need to manage to colonise space successfully.

So I'm, personally, 100% behind Musk's efforts.

(Original post by Joinedup)
    erm. SUUUUB SIIIIII DEEEEEZ

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...531-story.html

technically It's a really cool achievement but let's not kid ourselves.
    I don't think that's fair. First of all, the government profited from his cooperation (e.g. creating jobs whenever they helped his build factories). It's not like Musk works for the government; he initiated all of the contracts he wanted to do, as a private entity seeking to make profit. That's something you can only find in a country with a capitalist system. The possibility for a person to create a private empire at a scale that it negotiates with the government is what results from a free market culture.

He also had to wiggle through many existing government restrictions against his work; Tesla narrowly secured a right to sell without car marketing, which directly restricted the freedom of the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)
    I don't care
    You'd care if, like me, you were electro-sensitive; not much fun, trust me

The only way humanity can survive in the long term is by spreading out into space, and for that, we need to manage to colonise space successfully
    We have a good few million years yet methinks

ReputationRep:
    Is that real or

Name:  wizard magnet.png
Views: 39
Size:  292.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)
    Is that real or Name:  wizard magnet.png
Views: 39
Size:  292.5 KB
    Sadly it's a very real thing and, jokes aside, high body burden of heavy metals is believed to be linked to the sensitivity (I have 5 times the maximal reference range limit for copper in my system, for example)

ReputationRep:
    Sadly it's a very real thing and, jokes aside, high body burden of heavy metals is believed to be linked to the sensitivity (I have 5 times the maximal reference range limit for copper in my system, for example)
    <3

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly from orbit I don't think, first stage recovery.

Still very impressive.

ReputationRep:

We have a good few million years yet methinks
    How's that work? Do you feel tingles or something?

Space is a highly understated area. TESS going up in 2017 may well discover habitable worlds in the Red Dwarf systems close to earth so less than a decade before we find earth 2.0 potentially. Probably less than 50 years before we can mine space and use fusion probes to get to Alpha Centuri and probably less than 200 years before the Imperial Age has begun again on a galactic scale (given the state of our world i have no doubt that we will more akin to the conquering Kilingon's than hippy federation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    TESS going up in 2017 may well discover habitable worlds .. get to Alpha Centuri and probably less than 200 years before the Imperial Age has begun again on a galactic scale
    Plenty of time then aye :nyan:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    How's that work? Do you feel tingles or something?

Space is a highly understated area. TESS going up in 2017 may well discover habitable worlds in the Red Dwarf systems close to earth so less than a decade before we find earth 2.0 potentially. Probably less than 50 years before we can mine space and use fusion probes to get to Alpha Centuri and probably less than 200 years before the Imperial Age has begun again on a galactic scale (given the state of our world i have no doubt that we will more akin to the conquering Kilingon's than hippy federation).
    To be honest I would feel a bit annoyed if we discovered alien (intelligent) life, I would much rather we worked our own way up into colonising space and not have it handed down by green midgets who would without question make us feel stupid.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.