Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car Hunting- I Can't Do This Anymore Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Sigh.

You forget what it's like to have just passed your test, I'm assuming it's been a long time

You do not want to go for a bigger car, have some understanding! I'd rather sacrifice some comfort and go for a car that's easier to manoeuvre. My little Micra (try not to dry heave) has managed to squeeze in the tiniest, most awkward of parking spaces at times when I wasn't confident in doing a reverse park. Little cars are so much easier to handle for the inexperienced, why do you think we learn in them?

Sit in sports cars :rofl: You're such a petrol head that you really give bad advice.
    There's nothing wrong with having a big car as your first car. I bought my first car yesterday, a Citroen C4 2.0 HDI VTS Coupe, and I absolutely love it is loaded with kit: A/C, Alloys, 6 CD Auto Changer, cruise control, automatic headlamps, auto wipers and parking sensors, which make it so much easier o maneuver. I would personally say stick with what you are used to, I passed my test in a Mondeo 2.0 diesel estate, which is why I bought a 2.0 diesel. Estates unfortunately cost too much to insure, which is why I ended up with a coupe, but the insurance isn't as bad as you'd think for a recently turned 18 year old with a licence for 4 months, only £1,500! And I don't have to have one of those crummy little black boxes, which as far as I can see just increase your premium. The car only cost me £900 with 130k on it on a 54 plate. Yes I am a petrol head; however I probably know much more about cars than all of the people you know and what the insurance game is like. Just make sure you do a full My Car Check on the Vehicle before you purchase so you know what the car is like and make sure you get the correct documentation with the vehicle as that can cause headaches further down the line. Just don't go out and by some s**t box like a clio, corsa or micra because they are typical first cars and cost the earth to insure unless you go on your parents insurance, which I did not need to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johannarebecca7)
    Not to mention that the smaller the engine the cheaper the insurance. Insurance isn't exactly cheaper when you're a first time driver. --- I'm planning on getting a Kia Picanto when I pass. It's a small 1ltr and the insurance is cheap and is actually pretty nice to drive.
    That is completely un-true I have a Citroen C4 2.0 diesel Coupe and my insurance in my name is only £1,500; whereas I had a quote for your typical first car (a Corsa 1.0 liter 3dr) and the same company (direct line) quoted me £2,000 for a car that will take twice as long to get to 60, has nowhere near as much kit on it, is awful to drive a 70mph and looks crap. The best thing to do for insurance is to look on Auto trader and just keep punching registration plates into Go Compare or direct line and see what comes out cheap for you in your area - hence how I stumbled across my little gem of a car. I also got a quote of £1,700 for a Corsa 1.8 SRI, which do go like a rocket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick3751)
    There's nothing wrong with having a big car as your first car. I bought my first car yesterday, a Citroen C4 2.0 HDI VTS Coupe, and I absolutely love it is loaded with kit: A/C, Alloys, 6 CD Auto Changer, cruise control, automatic headlamps, auto wipers and parking sensors, which make it so much easier o maneuver. I would personally say stick with what you are used to, I passed my test in a Mondeo 2.0 diesel estate, which is why I bought a 2.0 diesel. Estates unfortunately cost too much to insure, which is why I ended up with a coupe, but the insurance isn't as bad as you'd think for a recently turned 18 year old with a licence for 4 months, only £1,500! And I don't have to have one of those crummy little black boxes, which as far as I can see just increase your premium. The car only cost me £900 with 130k on it on a 54 plate. Yes I am a petrol head; however I probably know much more about cars than all of the people you know and what the insurance game is like. Just make sure you do a full My Car Check on the Vehicle before you purchase so you know what the car is like and make sure you get the correct documentation with the vehicle as that can cause headaches further down the line. Just don't go out and by some s**t box like a clio, corsa or micra because they are typical first cars and cost the earth to insure unless you go on your parents insurance, which I did not need to do

You've quoted the wrong person because I am the very happy owner of a Micra :love: You simply can't seem to comprehend that the average young person is not a petrol head, they don't care about all the jargon of your first paragraph.

All I care about is something reliable, good to insure, and easy to drive.

I guarantee you, a Micra is much easier to drive than a Citreon C4. I don't understand how you people can't seem to comprehend that. Which one would be easier to do a reverse park in, to navigate tight country lanes or tight Valley roads?

My car is incredibly forgiving, and I could not be happier with it. Yes when I am no longer a student and earning a decent wage I would like something a bit more luxury. But I will still stick with a small car, I've got my eyes set on a Mito. :love: I know the drive isn't supposed to be great but I don't care about that, although their reliability I'm a bit unsure of.

Also, I think it's a little iffy that you prioritise so many details, such as 6 CD auto changer (btw my mums old Micra had that ), alloy wheels, but where does fuel efficiency fall on your radar? I can't imagine a 2 litre 2004 diesel is very good for the environment or your pocket.

And FYI why on earth would a Micra cost the earth to insure? It's a much lower insurance group than yours. It was like £800 for the first year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the recommendations. I should probably have mentioned what I am looking for in a car. I would like a car with a 1.2 litre engine, petrol, 5 doors, 2- 4 years old. I did consider getting a new car but I decided as it is my first car and I am a fairly new driver I would prefer buying a used one. I also don’t want to get too big a car as I know insurance and tax will be high. I take my dad with me whenever I go to the dealers as he knows more about cars than I do.

(Original post by nick3751)
    Just make sure you do a full My Car Check on the Vehicle before you purchase so you know what the car is like and make sure you get the correct documentation with the vehicle as that can cause headaches further down the line.
    Indeed, getting all the correct documents and completing a car check is vital. There are just so many things to remember to do and consider when getting a car. I am worried I will forget or miss something important..

ReputationRep:
    You sound annoying.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a reliable car that is cheap on parts then small Japanese hatchbacks are quite good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.