The Student Room Group

Memorising Shakespeare Quotes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by banterboy
Just what i could remember. I lost my focus at A2. I don't recommend anyone revise like i did for A2 lol. Luckily 3 modernist text and a metaphysical text came up in the exam, and I happened to like those things.

You in year 13?

Lol, well you certainly performed very well. I am in year 13, sadly :frown:

I need to memorise quotes :redface:

My teacher keeps on handing out a million quotes with little analysis, and personally I have always believed in the "write a lot about a little" rule...and you got an A so that proves my point!

I'm going to pick out quotes based on Past exam questions/ examiner reports and analyse the **** out of them.

:redface:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

My teacher keeps on handing out a million quotes with little analysis, and personally I have always believed in the "write a lot about a little" rule...and you got an A so that proves my point!

I'm going to pick out quotes based on Past exam questions/ examiner reports and analyse the **** out of them.

What specification are you doing? :smile:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
What specification are you doing? :smile:

Lit B

Elements of the Gothic. :redface:

I love it and I hate it....but thats just life I suppose. :redface:
Lit B

Elements of the Gothic. :redface:

I love it and I hate it....but thats just life I suppose. :redface:

Oh right, I thought that specification sounded quite fun :colondollar:
I go through the same thing with love through the ages, sometimes I hate it so much and there's just too much love but other times we get some really interesting texts. I do love gothic texts though, Poe in particular, and luckily I've been able to study some. :tongue:

Thing to remember is you can talk about how texts contrast with each other, so you don't need a million quotes, because you can say something like "Oh, Jane Ayer has such and such prose style, which contrasts completely with Woolf's stream of consciousness. This difference reflects XYZ"

And I got very lucky in that I had a few quotes memorised from John Donne's sunn rising, and a John Donne poem came up, so I compared their use of the sun as a metaphor and talked about scientific discoveries in the renaissance lol, and the other set text was a modernist text so again I could link that to science. Very lucky, my work at A2 did not warrant an A.

Are you doing love through the ages?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Oh right, I thought that specification sounded quite fun :colondollar:
I go through the same thing with love through the ages, sometimes I hate it so much and there's just too much love but other times we get some really interesting texts. I do love gothic texts though, Poe in particular, and luckily I've been able to study some. :tongue:

"There is too much love" that made me laugh!
Poe is very dark....although I haven't actually studied him this year. :colondollar:
I do love the gothic genre but I find (I know it's silly :redface: ) some of the contemporary "taboo's" incorporated into the text really cringe worthy...like "He was looking at the wall like he had seen an unearthly vision" no, no he hasn't seen anything "unearthly", don't worry your little head, he is just staring at the wall with an odd expression. :redface: (that is Wuthering heights). I don't know why I find it so bothersome LOL. I think I'm just tired and frustrated of A-levels...

Original post by banterboy
Thing to remember is you can talk about how texts contrast with each other, so you don't need a million quotes, because you can say something like "Oh, Jane Ayer has such and such prose style, which contrasts completely with Woolf's stream of consciousness. This difference reflects XYZ"

And I got very lucky in that I had a few quotes memorised from John Donne's sunn rising, and a John Donne poem came up, so I compared their use of the sun as a metaphor and talked about scientific discoveries in the renaissance lol, and the other set text was a modernist text so again I could link that to science. Very lucky, my work at A2 did not warrant an A.

Are you doing love through the ages?

Well I think you did brilliantly, especially under the circumstances that you have explained...

LOL I make up crap on the spot with english, sometimes some of my best ideas come to me on the spot XD but they aren't usually worthy of an A because I mess up the writing under extreme stress....so I still find it amazing that you managed to do that well on the spot. :biggrin:
Poe is very dark....although I haven't actually studied him this year. :colondollar:
I do love the gothic genre but I find (I know it's silly :redface: ) some of the contemporary "taboo's" incorporated into the text really cringe worthy...like "He was looking at the wall like he had seen an unearthly vision" no, no he hasn't seen anything "unearthly", don't worry your little head, he is just staring at the wall with an odd expression. :redface: (that is Wuthering heights). I don't know why I find it so bothersome LOL. I think I'm just tired and frustrated of A-levels...

Well I think you did brilliantly, especially under the circumstances that you have explained...

LOL I make up crap on the spot with english, sometimes some of my best ideas come to me on the spot XD but they aren't usually worthy of an A because I mess up the writing under extreme stress....so I still find it amazing that you managed to do that well on the spot. :biggrin:

People talk about the GCSE/A-level gap but I think the AS/A2 gap is far more significant... :eek:
Wuthering heights annoyed me so much reading it (in class), but my thoughts of the text remain ambivalent tbh... Studying it on my own, I find it more agreeable (weird, I know)!
I think you're right about the gothic descriptions, I notice that now you've pointed it out. I guess I like those descriptions though. :lol:
We did some Poe poetry, I love the pieces so much, the raven and annabel lee are awesome :h:

Thanks

What have you done for your coursework?
Original post by maggiedavies
Thanks!

So besides imbedding them into essays. Did you ever like, walk around the house with a list of quotes in your hand, reciting them to yourself? Or is that just me? And I feel like it's not working ... -_-

That won't work - you need to write them down and use them - so you remember
I have four texts worth of quotes to remember. Why didn't I start earlier -.-
I've found the best way to memorise quotes is to write them down on A6 pieces of card and stick them up around the house. Try to recite them from memory a few times a day, and they really stick. Over the past week, I've learnt over 20 quotes this way. Having them always near you subconsciously reinforces it
Original post by samina_ay
That won't work - you need to write them down and use them - so you remember

Original post by supernerdural
I've found the best way to memorise quotes is to write them down on A6 pieces of card and stick them up around the house. Try to recite them from memory a few times a day, and they really stick. Over the past week, I've learnt over 20 quotes this way. Having them always near you subconsciously reinforces it

Thanks guys!

Original post by OddFuturez
I have four texts worth of quotes to remember. Why didn't I start earlier -.-

What texts are you doing?
I'm doing:
-King Lear - which is a struggle to remember quotes. It is closed book.
-Death of a Salesman - isn't as bad as quotes are easier to remember, but is also closed book.
-The Great Gatsby - open book but won't have time in the exam to be flicking through, so will need to memorise quotes which isn't too bad.
-17 Thomas Hardy Poems - is open book so we get given the 'anthology' so isn't too bad; just focusing on the analysis for each poem.

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending