Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since they added some new QR questions in the 1000Q book, that section should be easier than it was. I think there are several things to consider here:

1 - You will get some questions that are harder than others at the exam so it's good to learn to understand quickly how to access the information you need.

2 - You will also get some ridiculously easy questions at the exams, which you will do in 3 seconds so that means you can spend 50 seconds plus on the harder questions. And to be frank there is no point buying a book that fills pages with easy questions that make you feel like it;s easy, only to have a huge shock on the day.

3 - The AR is hard for everyone to start with. It's a question of getting in to the right frame of mind and then you will get better through practice. You know, there are only so many rotations, permutations and symmetries one can find in shapes so after a while you will learn to recognise them a lot faster.

(Original post by willowthewisp)
    I will definitely be giving up work to concentrate on the course. I have an almost 4 year old child so trying to juggle work and college would be too much. Luckily my husband is super helpful.
    I have the UKCAT 600 book and have just bought the UKCAT 1000 book. I've dipped into practice a bit and to be honest, I was shocked at how difficult the QR and AR section is. I can't do a maths calculation in 36 seconds!
    I've not booked my UKCAT test yet but want to get it over with asap.
    I wonder what sort of questions we will get asked at interview. It's so nerve racking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ienjoylife)
    Since they added some new QR questions in the 1000Q book, that section should be easier than it was. I think there are several things to consider here:

1 - You will get some questions that are harder than others at the exam so it's good to learn to understand quickly how to access the information you need.

2 - You will also get some ridiculously easy questions at the exams, which you will do in 3 seconds so that means you can spend 50 seconds plus on the harder questions. And to be frank there is no point buying a book that fills pages with easy questions that make you feel like it;s easy, only to have a huge shock on the day.

3 - The AR is hard for everyone to start with. It's a question of getting in to the right frame of mind and then you will get better through practice. You know, there are only so many rotations, permutations and symmetries one can find in shapes so after a while you will learn to recognise them a lot faster.
    Thanks for the helpful info.
    I'm hoping something clicks into place for me!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

How was it today ? Simply question :P Hopefully, was fine as you all thought

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it will probably be a no go for me this year. My lack of UK experience was highlighted as a massive gap in my application.
    I will definitely work on it for next year though.
    Hope it went well for you!

ReputationRep:
    I think I flopped mine! I interrupted someone's interview - quite rude really. I also mentioned that I had not begun revising for the UKCAT and that I don't have a back up plan that doesn't include medicine. Also, they found that I do not drive. I think these things are red flags, although I have heard that a good UKCAT is possible with a few months revision. Who knows! Anyway, good luck all. I think they would have rejected you before the interview stage if your experience was insufficient so fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittylorelli)
    I think I flopped mine! I interrupted someone's interview - quite rude really. I also mentioned that I had not begun revising for the UKCAT and that I don't have a back up plan that doesn't include medicine. Also, they found that I do not drive. I think these things are red flags, although I have heard that a good UKCAT is possible with a few months revision. Who knows! Anyway, good luck all. I think they would have rejected you before the interview stage if your experience was insufficient so fingers crossed!
    Don't worry, I can't drive either. Got my driving test on the 1st of July but not overly confident to be honest.
    I told them I'd just done a wee bit of UKCAT and they told me its best to sit the test around October time. I'm not sure why though. I wanted to get it over with end of July.
    I'll apply again next year though. Let's not give up hope!

ReputationRep:
    kittylorelli -you might've interrupted mine, once I finished I said to you ''no worries everything is alright'' or something like that. You were sitting very nervous.

My situation was quite different. They relaxed me before asking any questions. Been asked about my theatre experience, surgeries I've seen and also once I told about some surgery I had to described what exactly I saw etc. I said that I've been sitting UKCAT at home but never taken this exam due to that it only lasts 2 years (this same is with IELTS) so If I am unsuccessful once again and taken this exam at this time I'd have to sit it once again which actually is pointless. By the of my interview I was told ''Hopefully we will see each other in August''-so I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really promising! I've asked about volunteering at hospital for 3 hours in the evening a couple of days a week as my friend does this in her spare time. It's basically befriending patients who don't get a lot of visitors. She did say it took a few months to get the paperwork sorted though. I can't commit to any more time than that at the moment as I work and have an almost four year old to look after. There's never enough hours in the day! Hopefully it will help for my application next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey have you guys checked your emails?

I got an offer today

ReputationRep:
    Me either :-) I'm so proud of myself so it seems that we're seeing each other on 24th of August.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to both of you!!!

I also got an offer today I could not be happier! Is the start date the 24th August then? I do not know about any of the finer details to be honest, I cannot wait to start!

ReputationRep:
    As all of us got a place, let me introduce myself. I'm Marcin, 26 y

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone!

Congrats to all that have been offered a place! I have also accepted a place at Kelvin College for this August, and glad to have stumbled across this thread to see there is also others in the same position and look forward to meeting you all!!

Really excited to start, I cant wait to get the ball rolling for a step closer to university next year. What are you looking to study next year?

I studied dental nursing at Coatbridge college which I completed in 2014 and hoping (and praying) to get into Glasgow Uni for Dentistry - if all fails hopefully study oral health at Glasgow Caledonian. I was advised to make a 3rd choice for back up in case I don't get accepted for either course - still debating with a few courses, biomedicine being one of them.

Quick question - Does anyone know when we will get our timetables of what days/how many days per week we will be in college?

Hope you are all having a lovely summer!

Thanks
    Jasmin x

ReputationRep:
    Hello Jasmin (and Marcin),

I am Cassi, congratulations on accepting a place on the course! I was also advised to make other plans in the event of not being accepted, although, I was hoping to make all four of my ucas choices for the same course at different universities. I am studing with the hopes of getting into Glasgow for Medicine. It is competitive, but my back up is to get in or apply next year; I have 240 credits with the Open Uni though so I could spend the year with the OU in the meantime, graduating with honors. If the universities accept the OU, this could make graduate entry a possibility.

I do not know when the course starts, but I asked about the timetable at interview. I was told it would be either 3 full days in college or 3 full days and one half day. This is what it had been in the past.

Cassi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittylorelli)
    Hello Jasmin (and Marcin),

I am Cassi, congratulations on accepting a place on the course! I was also advised to make other plans in the event of not being accepted, although, I was hoping to make all four of my ucas choices for the same course at different universities. I am studing with the hopes of getting into Glasgow for Medicine. It is competitive, but my back up is to get in or apply next year; I have 240 credits with the Open Uni though so I could spend the year with the OU in the meantime, graduating with honors. If the universities accept the OU, this could make graduate entry a possibility.

I do not know when the course starts, but I asked about the timetable at interview. I was told it would be either 3 full days in college or 3 full days and one half day. This is what it had been in the past.

Cassi
    That's brilliant news Cassi! Very well done to you with your progress at the OU! I'm not sure what the acceptance and entry requirements are regarding Glasgow uni and the OU, maybe have a wee look on their website it might say!

I'm hoping to get into Dentistry at Glasgow or Dundee next year. I have read that they only take 1 or 2 students from an access course each year and Glasgow Clyde college are apparently running a course equivalent to the one we are enrolled on so the pressure is on!! Have you looked into the UKCAT test we need to sit? I've tried some of the practice examples on their website, was advised at the interview we will be practicing this test in college prior to sitting it which is reassuring.

I completed my dental nursing qualifications in 2014 and have work experience in practices so I'm really hoping this will benefit my application for dentistry next year.

Thankyou for the information regarding the duration of days we will be in I'm guessing it will be the springburn campus we will all be attending in August?

Thanks again! Jasmin x

ReputationRep:
    Hello Jasmine,

Yes, I have chosen the universities I hope to apply to, would like to phone round prospective universities just to get an idea of whether my plans are feasable (and any further advice, I want to know what they want to hear to be honest).

This last year, I have really been working on all aspects of my university application, and have went on the advice of Kenny (SWAP course director) to gain paid & voluntary experience in healthcare and to shadow physicians (which I was extremely lucky to organize). I feel my main hurdle will be putting together the personal statement for ucas and the looming UKCAT. I had booked mine for August but rescheduled to September for more practice. I have been practicing online instead of using the books, my bookmarks are all UKCAT lol.

Have you tried Kent Universities resources? I highly recommend them as you can tackle each section individually, then closer to exams try timing yourself: https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/verbaltest.htm

I think this is good news that we will be covering the UKCAT during the course, I hope we will get some advice on personal statements too. I hear it is Springburn campus, as this has been the most recent location, although there have been many changes with Kelvin since the joining of colleges. Thats great news - one or two admissions from the access is a much brighter prospect than I had imagined! I thought we were a little up the creek with the heaps of straight A high school students

I am getting quite anxious for a start date though, I really have no patience. Will you be working during your studies?

Cassi

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to hear of all your work done to be closer your dreams. I canny wait too till I start college. I know it's going to be tough for me coz I need to keep full time work but I learnt that If you believe so much and keep following your chosen dream it's going to be happen. Hard work and truly believes make incredible things. If someone of you would need any more experience within theatres just give a shout. We'll see what can I do.

Marcin

ReputationRep:
    That's great thanks very much for the link for Kent Resources link I will do some practice on their site. I know the feeling! I am so eager to get the ball rolling and starting the course now and finally getting my university applications confirmed and sent.

I'm hoping the UKCAT will go well and not be as daunting as I am currently imagining with the long practice exams online. I've read that they only cover a small section of each part of the exam so it's widely varied - also I totally know what you mean I know the universities have the straight A high school students applying straight which the competition would be high, so having the 1 in 2 chance is relieving. I just can't wait to get started!

I will be working part time while I'm at college, currently looking for dental practice positions available so that it will benefit my personal statement. If unsuccessful I'll try get some voluntary practice days and source part time work elsewhere.

I'm glad it's looking to be held at the springburn campus hopefully it should be confirmed in the next couple of weeks. I had emailled admissions who told me that week beginning the 22nd is induction week throughout and then classes commence week beginning the 29th August. So just waiting to find out what days we need to attend! Do you know how many is in our class? I read previous threads which said it was as little as 12!

Thanks again
    Jasmin x

ReputationRep:
    Very inspirational words Marcin - you have made me even more excited for starting I can't wait to get everything rolling I'm getting impatient lol! Where are you working just now?

Thanks, Jasmin x

ReputationRep:
    I'm working in a QEUH

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.